Mini ITX psu question

dynkin

n00b
I've considering to build a mini itx system using desktop components, maybe a dual core on G45, NVidia 9300 or AMD 780g. I check power consumption of similar systems first and it seems the system will run at 50-60w most of the time and 100-120w under heavy stress. Therefore I'm looking for some 120w-200w power supplies with external adapters.

Then I came to a website called "hailware", which lists many such PSUs on eBay:
http://www.hailware.com/Mini-ITX-Supplies-1204521-1.html

This is what I expected. But I didn't expected so many! Now my question is, with so many choices, can you tell me which one is better? What should I look into exactly? PCB design, capacitors, chips, or anything else?

Pico PSU's work great. I've used them in several builds. Just make sure the power brick can handle the wattage rating as well.

Pico PSU's work great. I've used them in several builds. Just make sure the power brick can handle the wattage rating as well.

I'm also leaning toward this. There seems to be a 150w model on the market but I cannot find a suitable power brick. The largest I can find is the 120w one.

I don't think that one has active cooling. Usually it would say in the specifications, and the enclosure would look different.

Here's the product page for it.
http://www.fsp-power.ru/english/1_product/2_detail.asp?mainid=5&fid=96&proid=426

They show a different connector on it, but the manufacturer page probably is showing one of the other models, like the 19v or 24v. The one you want should have a 2.5mm x 5.5mm DC connector.

I don't think that one has active cooling. Usually it would say in the specifications, and the enclosure would look different.

Here's the product page for it.
http://www.fsp-power.ru/english/1_product/2_detail.asp?mainid=5&fid=96&proid=426

They show a different connector on it, but the manufacturer page probably is showing one of the other models, like the 19v or 24v. The one you want should have a 2.5mm x 5.5mm DC connector.

Now comes to the pico itself. Will it produce any noise during usage?

No. I've never heard mine make any noise at all, nor have I heard my friend's make any noise.

No. I've never heard mine make any noise at all, nor have I heard my friend's make any noise.

Thank you.

I'm still debating between external power supply and built in power supply. It seems that the pico psu will meet my need. But I'm also looking for a case that is large enough for at least one 3.5" hard drive. When I factor this into my build, it seems there are not many tiny cases to choose from. Those cases that accommodate the hard drive will usually accommodate a built in power supply.

The final setup will probably consist of one dual core cpu, a g45 or 9300 mobo, a hard drive, a fan, and probably another 2.5" ssd in the future. Do you think a 100w~120w supply is enough for the system, if it is constantly under stress?

It all depends on your finalized hardware list. It should be able to handle the load based on what you're saying. I'd ditch the 3.5'' hard drive and go with a 2.5''. It will open up your case options, be quieter, and consume less power. One thing I'm not going to do however is sit here and speculate while playing the 1 million what if senarios. Good luck with the build.

Back