Microsoft says April Windows updates break VPN connections

is this affecting all vpns? article wasnt clear when i gave it a quick read...
If you click through to the MS article, all it says is "VPN connections might break...". I think from that you kind of need to assume any VPN could be affected.

we are the qa dept...

is this affecting all vpns? article wasnt clear when i gave it a quick read...
The best I can tell the changes are only being made to the VPN connections that would be implemented through the Windows control panel,
1714690941318.png

In that menu, they are phasing out support for some old encryption methods and there was mention about requiring SSL certificates by default, no mention if self signed ones counted but I would assume they would, but it's microsoft so who knows.
So if you told it to not check for a valid cert then that box may get checked on your behalf.

3'rd party apps should be unaffected.

The best I can tell the changes are only being made to the VPN connections that would be implemented through the Windows control panel,
View attachment 651521
In that menu, they are phasing out support for some old encryption methods and there was mention about requiring SSL certificates by default, no mention if self signed ones counted but I would assume they would, but it's microsoft so who knows.
So if you told it to not check for a valid cert then that box may get checked on your behalf.

cool, thanks! we use ciscos vpn stuff so we should be ok.

View attachment 651521

Who even uses VPNs this way?

FTFY :D

Laid off most of the QA department a decade ago. Coders are responsible for their own test cases. And their code is perfect fist time... every time.
Abso-freeqin-lutely. In every job I've had in product management, coders always released 100% clean, bug free code. And always on time. (as long as the release date was April 1.)

Back