Microsoft Not Sending Xbox 360 RROD Shipping Boxes

HardOCP News

[H] News
Engadget says that Microsoft has confirmed that it is no longer sending boxes out for RROD repair jobs. Not really a big deal, Microsoft is still paying for shipping, customers just need to provide a box to ship it back in. This move saves MS the added cost of the box and having to ship the empty box to the customer.

Although Redmond will still pay for return shipping, the company's beancounters have decided to axe the expense of sending custom packaging out to people who need repairs, meaning anyone who gets an RROD will need to pack things themselves. Not the end of the world, but we share Joystiq's take: just send it however you can, since MS is fixing it anyway, and then save the return carton in case something else goes wrong.

I'm on my fourth Xbox 360 and it seems to be working fine. I took awhile for me to get a working unit.

I thought my little sister was just being dumb when all she got was shipping label last week. Sure enough, they don't send boxes any longer.

They should offer an advance replacement with a credit card. M$ will be sending it back in their own box anyway. Guess that is too elementary for them.

I just tore apart my RRD 360 yesterday and put it on water on a ghetto test bench setup . . .fixed the RRoD! This weekend I will be at Danger Den working on two builds with built in xboxes (on water of course) . . .If you have a bricked 360 you might try it!
dsc01519.jpg

dsc01517.jpg

dsc01516.jpg

I just tore apart my RRD 360 yesterday and put it on water on a ghetto test bench setup . . .fixed the RRoD! This weekend I will be at Danger Den working on two builds with built in xboxes (on water of course) . . .If you have a bricked 360 you might try it!

lol, you would... :D :p

Say, whats that container of black pepper for? :D

btw those pics are of the first xbox from two weeks ago that I put on water. Here is the RRoD one (HDD out of the stock enclosure):
dsc015640014859.jpg

And the other one now has some heatsinks tho I need to attach the big one (salt also in pic for you guys this time to be fair and balanced):
dsc015660020316.jpg

dsc015670024542.jpg

Will do a full worklog in the cooling forums next week

People still care about the 360?

If this kind of failure rate happened for any PC or PC part that part would be a commercial failure. I guess people who aren't interested in learning how to operate a PC are willing to somehow put up with this garbage instead of "putting up" with learning how to operate a PC.

Consoles have had their time, now buy a PC already and Do More!

If this kind of failure rate happened for any PC or PC part that part would be a commercial failure. I guess people who aren't interested in learning how to operate a PC are willing to somehow put up with this garbage instead of "putting up" with learning how to operate a PC.

I have an 8 year old who uses it the most. I enjoy UFC on it. Other than that we use it for NetFLix. My PS3 is pretty much my blue ray player at least until I get this HTPC build (which will have the 360 as well as a gaming rig in it).

I guess I am just a n00b with PCs tho ;) I can use the cupholder on them.

They didn't send me a box back in October when mine broke. I later found out that you could request a box instead of the label but I had already shipped it.

I agree. The ability to just drop in a game in play makes PCs far bette.... errr... wait... :rolleyes:

I have both a gaming system and multiple consoles. Anyone that thinks that PCs are far superior for gaming is kidding themselves.

As of today, if you submit a repair request on the Xbox 360 support site... you have 3 options.

"Print Shipping Label" (default)
You can easily print a shipping label from the Xbox Support Web site. Printing the label yourself will shorten the time it takes to get your console to us for repair. To use this method, you need a printer and a box that you can use to ship your console to us.

"Label Ship"
You will receive a pre-paid shipping label which will take approximately 4 days to get to you.

"Standard"
You will receive a shipping box and a pre-paid shipping label which will take approximately 4 days to get to you.

The label only thing became the default months and months ago. But you had (and still have) the option to get a box/coffin.

The parts in my test bench are all extras . . . only bought the block. I did see a guy over at XS who built a 360 into a Lian Li case. That surely costs $$$

I just dropped mine off at UPS yesterday....MS sent me both a box and a label. I like that they do that...getting a box that fits and packing it securely is a pain in the butt.

I agree. The ability to just drop in a game in play makes PCs far bette.... errr... wait... :rolleyes:

I have both a gaming system and multiple consoles. Anyone that thinks that PCs are far superior for gaming is kidding themselves.

While I still prefer my 360 (honestly, just so much easier to use...) I will admit a PC is superior as far as graphics capability goes.
But 360s are better IMO for Xbox Live and other multiplayer type deals. Only maintenance I do on my 360 is changing out the batteries on the remote.

I just tore apart my RRD 360 yesterday and put it on water on a ghetto test bench setup . . .fixed the RRoD!

Dude, that is hilarious...

And as far as PC vs console gaming, it depends on the game. For multiplayer FPS games, PC all the way, can't beat a mouse and keyboard. Steam picks up the slack for a lack of a system as robust as XBox Live, so that's cool.

For RTS games, no contest, PC all the way. Even more than FPS games, I do not see the RTS genre translating well to a gamepad. Ditto most strategy games.

For lots of other kinds of games, I prefer playing on the 360 because of my home theater. I could build a LAN party of uber machines for what I spent on my HT. The audio there kills anything I could get out of my PC unless I moved it from my office into my living room. Its why I'll play single player FPS games like Bioshock or FEAR 2 on my 360; graphics on the 360 are still great but my HT audio is what really tips things in its favor. Otherwise, fighting games like SF4, racing games, party games, ROCK BAND, console all the way.

It really depends on what kind of game we're talking about, and I like too many kinds of games to be locked onto just a single kind of platform.

Dude, that is hilarious...

And as far as PC vs console gaming, it depends on the game. For multiplayer FPS games, PC all the way, can't beat a mouse and keyboard. Steam picks up the slack for a lack of a system as robust as XBox Live, so that's cool.

For RTS games, no contest, PC all the way. Even more than FPS games, I do not see the RTS genre translating well to a gamepad. Ditto most strategy games.

For lots of other kinds of games, I prefer playing on the 360 because of my home theater. I could build a LAN party of uber machines for what I spent on my HT. The audio there kills anything I could get out of my PC unless I moved it from my office into my living room. Its why I'll play single player FPS games like Bioshock or FEAR 2 on my 360; graphics on the 360 are still great but my HT audio is what really tips things in its favor. Otherwise, fighting games like SF4, racing games, party games, ROCK BAND, console all the way.

It really depends on what kind of game we're talking about, and I like too many kinds of games to be locked onto just a single kind of platform.
How about we compare my PC gaming systems to those who are hating and settle the debate? I have two 965 D0 stepping procs, three Geforce 295s, three Geforce 280s, any ram I want from Crucial as they are my sponsor as are Nvidia. While I am NOT Kyle with his stuff I have pretty much ALMOST the best you can get for PCs so I know what you can get from PC gaming. I agree with you, it depends on what you want. There is no reason to hate one way or another. Both PC and Consoles have their strong points. Anyone who wants to say otherwise can hold up their best PC gaming rig to mine. Don't go Google DarthBeavis and find my Skulltrail gaming rig as the parts are now being redeployed to a server . . .

Serpico . . . I am a simple man . . . I have a Gamepod chair in my home office. My PC monitor is a 60" Mitsubishi DLP as it does Nvidia 3d Stereo . . .

How about we compare my PC gaming systems to those who are hating and settle the debate? I have two 965 D0 stepping procs, three Geforce 295s, three Geforce 280s, any ram I want from Crucial as they are my sponsor as are Nvidia. While I am NOT Kyle with his stuff I have pretty much ALMOST the best you can get for PCs so I know what you can get from PC gaming. I agree with you, it depends on what you want. There is no reason to hate one way or another. Both PC and Consoles have their strong points. Anyone who wants to say otherwise can hold up their best PC gaming rig to mine. Don't go Google DarthBeavis and find my Skulltrail gaming rig as the parts are now being redeployed to a server . . .

Serpico . . . I am a simple man . . . I have a Gamepod chair in my home office. My PC monitor is a 60" Mitsubishi DLP as it does Nvidia 3d Stereo . . .

Oh dude, totally, I see that all the time. To extend that further (and you might actually draw a line here :) ) people who bag on me for owning Macs and liking OS X are also usually people that have much worse PC hardware and monitors than I do. Do they miss the part where I have a GTX 285 with 8800GT for PhysX and they're still on an AMD from 2006 and a 7800GT? I'm sure they'll keep saying the same BS to me in a few months when I'm rocking an i7 and an SSD... :rolleyes:

More often than not, people will rail on something out of closed-mindedness. Me? I don't care, I find things out of most popular platforms that I like and are worth spending money on. Whatever.

Crazy PC monitor you have there BTW ;)

This is also why I prefer pc's. And wow, nice work by DarthBeavis.

This is also why I prefer pc's. And wow, nice work by DarthBeavis.

Is the high XBox 360 failure rate the only reason you prefer PCs? Shitty hardware is one thing, but the PS3 and Wii are both very reliable and somehow I suspect that you'd still prefer PC games either way. :)

Nothing wrong with that, we all have our preferences, but I don't know if that's really a factor given the fact that there are other consoles out there where a third of them don't have to go back to the manufacturer.

I think they stopped sending boxes out some time ago in Europe. My 360 failed in late September and no bax was offered. I just had to label and box it up in the original 360 box. Was a bit dissapointed it just came back in a brown packing box but there you go.

I did ask the UPS guy who collected it how many he had seen of these (360 returns) and he said he was picking up around 12 a week just from the area he covered.

i got to sent mine 360 like 2 months back , and they sent me box. but i had friend who did it like a month ago , and he had to prepare box himself

They will loose alot more on this, not everyone has boxes enough to pack a 360 and send.. i dont get it. Perhaps if you didnt did such crap 360 design you wouldnt have this problem, look at ps3.. hardly any failures at this level.

I think the fact that the Xbox worked after being put on water-cooling is prima facie evidence the Xbox cooling design sucks. The model was an Elite so it is not like it was a first revision. The PS3 has an insane heatsink system.

I think the fact that the Xbox worked after being put on water-cooling is prima facie evidence the Xbox cooling design sucks. The model was an Elite so it is not like it was a first revision. The PS3 has an insane heatsink system.

The amount of heat that gets vented out of the PS3 is crazy; I put my hand on the side vent and it almost feels like a hairdryer. The thing though is that the PS3 cooling is still quieter than what is on the 360. As much as a stickler as I am for noise, I wouldn't mind something a little more robust for the 360. Your work clearly shows that the internal cooling system in the 360 has been a major problem.

Back