low profile cards?

budec

Gawd
I'm building a mini PC for my gf, it has a slot; but it's low form factor (my card is twice tall as the case). Is there any low profile cards that give decent performance for gaming? The cpu/memory is good (3.2 core2duo, 4 gigs, etc). Doesn't have to be great, just something that could play tf2 or whatever.

So you aren't concerned with the 'thickness' of the card so much, as in, the number of slots that it takes up. It sounds like you are more concerned with the 'width' of the card, or the distance that it sticks out from the motherboard.

The only problem I see is that all PCI-slot cards will use a full width bracket, so no matter what the PCB dimensions are, the card's PCI bracket will still conform to the standard.

I have two suggestions:
1. Get an integrated chipset... I use the AMD 790GX chipset that actually runs Spore at full framerates.
2. A PCI-16x angle/riser card, for examples:
http://www.soarland.com/PCI_PCI-E_Riser_Card-catalog-54.html
Allowing you to mount the video card at an angle that is flat against the motherboard. Be careful when buying because they make them in multiple angles and thicknesses to mount the card flat down or up.

You can buy low profiles brackets to replace those on half height cards which only come with a full size bracket. They only cost a few bucks.

The 9800GT is a pretty powerful card. However, you should carefully study your build before you buy it, because (a) it takes up two slots, and (b) it requires quite a bit of power (need a 6-pin connector) that the PSU in your mini PC may not be able to supply.

I would recommend the Radeon HD 5570 unless you really need the power of the 9800GT.

Back