Looking to upgrade my monitor

Scottyl39

Weaksauce
I just bought a new PC with a gtx 580 video card. I have the HP 2711x monitor. Whats a good upgrade to this monitor? I have a budget of around 800.00 to spend. I dont care about 3d but i care about color reproduction and picture quality. Any suggestions?

Scott

What are you going to mainly use the monitor for? It sounds like you're probably looking for IPS
Dell Ultrasharp?

Um.. if you're looking for good colors I would recommend you to do IPS or VA... TN would be the fastest for FPS gaming, but I wouldn't exactly consider BF3 and skyrim FPS games, but then that would depend on your own perspective.

If you want FPS monitors then it's pretty much TN based 120hz monitors; however, the color reproduction on those monitors will not be close to as good as VA or IPS based.

I'll recommend you to take a look at the EW2730. I'm mainly recommending it because it's brand new and I recently saw it Office Depot (online) for a really great price. I think it's a great price for the sheer size of the monitor, and considering it's VA LED backlit so you'll get great colors with the high true contrast ratio and consistency (+ low energy consumption and heat emitting) from LED. The main point of this monitor is that you're getting 1080p at 27 inch of display which no longer will make the vertical size of the 16:9 display seem too short (well that's my opinion at least). Also you get major loads of connectivity with this monitor, specifically two HDMI inputs. Also, you'll have wider viewing angles that you won't have on TN panel based. And VA panel is the most sharp when it comes to details and text reading.
Every monitor comes with cons, and the VA panel is slowest with response time, so if you're going to be playing more intense FPS games, so individuals will feel that the monitors start to ghost the images or have lag.

My other recommendation would be to get the Dell U2412M, because you'll have e-IPS panel which has a wide range of viewing angles (wider than VA). But mainly the advantage of IPS panels in general is that they are faster than VA panels (TN still being the fastest). The U2412M is still LED backlit as well. The true colors of the U2412M I doubt will be as in-depth as the EW2730 mainly because it's using a cheaper e-IPS panel and not a higher end IPS panel and therefore color reproduction will have a significant difference.

You could always go for the good ol' U2410 or U2711. Those are the ultimate babies, but I hear the response times aren't as good as e-IPS nor are they as good for gaming..

Back