Looking to get an SSD drive...

Siryak

Limp Gawd
Ok I am looking to finally make the jump to an SSD drive for my desktop. I am currently looking at the Crucial C300 128GB, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, and the G.Skill Phoenix Pro 120GB. Which one would you guys go with? Also I am open to suggestions for alternatives to these as well.

I have a gigabyte P55A-UD3 board.

The OCZ & G.Skill listed there are very similar drives.. Get whichever one of those 2 you can get cheaper.. Right now I know there is a deal going on on newegg for the Vertex 2

How long is the warranty on the Vertex 2? I think that'd be my choice.

It is the same as the G.Skill. I went with the Vertex 2 and it should be here tomorrow. :D I just felt that the support forum was a little better with the Vertex 2. Originally I was sold on the C300. Then I started reading of too many issues with the Marvel controller, which is what I have. The Vertex 2 write speed didn't hinder the decision any either.

I went the opposite Siryak, funny enough, and got the G.Skill Phoenix Pro. Also should be here tomorrow :)
From what I can tell, it all boils down to the company you like better. I researched everything for more than a week, and after deciding that G.Skill memory has always been rock solid with every build I've used it in, decided to go with them.

I went the opposite Siryak, funny enough, and got the G.Skill Phoenix Pro. Also should be here tomorrow :)
From what I can tell, it all boils down to the company you like better. I researched everything for more than a week, and after deciding that G.Skill memory has always been rock solid with every build I've used it in, decided to go with them.

Yah I am guessing you won't go wrong either way. It looks to me like they are both the exact same hardware with a different cover. I have G.Skill RAM that has worked great for me, but like I say I don't think there is going to be a difference between the 2.

Installed and running today. A very noticeable improvement over my VR, but not a "OMG!!" improvement. Windows does load and shutdown much faster, and just general responsiveness is greatly improved. Installing MW2 to test out now, to see if any noticeable difference in a game.

Installed and running today. A very noticeable improvement over my VR, but not a "OMG!!" improvement. Windows does load and shutdown much faster, and just general responsiveness is greatly improved. Installing MW2 to test out now, to see if any noticeable difference in a game.

As I understand it, game load times will go way down, but in-game performance should remain the same. After a map has loaded, your CPU and GPU do all the work making things go bang and whatnot.

Back