Locate my bottleneck

tychsen

n00b
Hi guys.
Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I am contemplating doing my first PC-build and I have been looking for parts and googeling around checking reviews etc. which is part of the reason I am on this board now.
Any way, I have found some hardware that I think will fit my needs and would work together nicely. I just wanted to know for sure if this system would work properly. And also I am aiming towards making the GPU the bottleneck on this system, due to lack of $$, and because I thought that would make the system more future-proof. Because the system then would be able to work with a better GPU next year or the year after that. :)

Any thoughts appreciated.

The parts:
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Pro3
CPU: Core I5-3570K
CPU-cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
GPU: Sapphire RADEON HD 7850 (2gb)
RAM: Corsair XMS3 2 x 4 GB (1600MHz, PC3-12800, CL9)
PSU: Cooler Master GX Lite 600W
SSD: OCZ Vertex Plus R2 Series Solid State Disk 120 GB

And then I'll offcourse have storage HDD and DVD RW

If there's a weak link, its the psu. Not saying its not enough power, 600w is about right, but I would go with a corsair hx650. Its a good trusted PSU. Every thing else looks like it would be well balanced. I assume you are going to put a large HDD in for storage and only keep the stuff you use all of the time on the SSD. If you hadn't considered this, I would recommend it

I would like to see a better cooler as well. AC Freezer7 r2 was a respectable choice many years ago, but for the about the same price ($30) you can get a Hyper 212 Evo.

I've moved this thread to General Hardware since it's more suitable here.

The PSU is a not a good choice on account of it being part of the GX line. I recommend this as a replacement:
$55 - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W PSU

The SSD isn't a good choice either on account of it being an OCZ (which means poor customer support) and the fact that it's based on the older Indilinx SSD controller. It's not cheap enough to warrant purchasing it so I recommend the Crucial M4 128GB instead:
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-128GB...d=1358030492&sr=8-2&keywords=Crucial+m4+128GB

Some additional questions:
6) Will you be overclocking?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? UEFI? etc.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back