Lian Li PC-U6 : the conch shell is back in mATX form factor!

IanM

[H]ard|Gawd
Lian Li product specification page & gallery: Lian Li PC-U6. I think this one is going to divide opinions:

u6-01s.jpg

I bought the original PC-777B conch shell case when it was launched - it was superb, but I had to send it back because it was just too huge. The new version looks interesting, just two 120mm fans on the side for cooling? The features page also says 2x 140mm fans, so it's unclear.

Last edited:
It's an older design that wasn't very popular, they called it the PC-777 iirc. I've always thought it was an interesting design, but it was expensive. This one looks nice too, hopefully they won't charge out the ass for it. $100-150 would sound about right, but I can see them bumping it up to $200 cause of the unique design of it.

smh

Shitty idea the first time around, even shittier now.

/rant

Looks like a cheap knock off of some good B&W speakers ;)

once seen a earlier case of this and how it was modded. thought it was cute and very unique design. have always liked cases that well made and different in design

Jen

My trashcan will stomp this seashell, devour it and crap it out.

Did mATX somehow become synonymous with proving grounds for controversial designs? FT03 followed up by this. Guess LL got intimidated by a trashcan.

Here's its ancestor, the 777

There's no excuse for that case not having a 3.5" internal bay. Not in the mATX form factor.

Way to make a sucky case even suckier. I saw this back years ago, and surprisingly, it never took off. :p

Not my cup of tea, but the more variety and options we have, the better.

There's no excuse for that case not having a 3.5" internal bay. Not in the mATX form factor.

This is not a "practical" tower. If you are into this case, you want it to show it off, so its going to be sitting in your living room or in your office, out in the open, youd want it to be very quiet, so only. If you can throw money at this you sure as hell can throw money at SSD's to go with the "LOOK AT ME" and you have a NAS system elsewhere in the home to put all your independent flix on.

I wouldnt buy this case, but if done right, I would respect it for filling its purpose.:D

There's no excuse for that case not having a 3.5" internal bay.
It has three internal 3.5" bays, read the spec sheet again and look at the features page. It shows how the 3.5" drives attach on the shelf above the PSU, with two slots for 2.5" drives as well.

I saw this back years ago, and surprisingly, it never took off. :p
I think it was about Lian Li showing off what they could do with aluminium, rather than creating a new style trend. In the cases & case mods forum, Redbeard (the Corsair rep) has some interesting insights on why no other manufacturers produce cases like the Mac Pro case. Whether or not the style is to everyone's liking, at least Lian Li are able to occasionally attempt something dramatic.

More than anything I'm pleased to see that this is a small case, as all the previous flagship statement cases have been gigantic towers. For that reason alone I hope this case is a great success and encourages more efforts to create a variety of new designs for micro-ATX & mini-ITX.

Last edited:
More than anything I'm pleased to see that this is a small case, as all the previous flagship statement cases have been gigantic towers. For that reason alone I hope this case is a great success and encourages more efforts to create a variety of new designs for micro-ATX & mini-ITX.

Well said!

I do think this is a little better than the original, which looked like a normal tower chopped up and fused back together. This smaller size (or redesign) works a bit better to the eye.

It has three internal 3.5" bays, read the spec sheet again and look at the features page. It shows how the 3.5" drives attach on the shelf above the PSU, with two slots for 2.5" drives as well.

I think it was about Lian Li showing off what they could do with aluminium, rather than creating a new style trend. In the cases & case mods forum, Redbeard (the Corsair rep) has some interesting insights on why no other manufacturers produce cases like the Mac Pro case. Whether or not the style is to everyone's liking, at least Lian Li are able to occasionally attempt something dramatic.

Trying 'dramatic' things is great, but I can't help but think there is something both dramatic *and* positive that LL could have made.

It looks great but at the end of the day I would have to see what mtx/itx boards come out for Bulldozer or Sandybridge EX before considering this.

First time I have seen Lian-Li use rubber grommets for cable routing. Looks like they finally realized people wanted the Corsair style grommets and not the silly cable clips they have tried on a few other cases.

That is not a Conch shell, it is a Nautilus. Geez, get your marine biology right!:rolleyes:
I'm sure you're correct, but for some reason these were always referred to as the Lian Li Conch Shell. Perhaps a mistake in Lian Li's original English translation for the original PC-777? or a deliberate attempt to avoid any problems with B&W over the Nautilus name?

Back