LG and Google announce the Nexus 4

Assuming Google had a reasonable amount of stock on hand, the fact they sold out is an indication that America does not demand LTE. That being said, are there any current phones with hexaband capability? I remember reading a patent on one a year ago but I don't recall seeing any in a production phone. Please show me if you know of one :)

I find it funny how I keep reading that LTE is a must have that "everyone" demands, when my own usage case is perfectly fine with HSPDA+. Seriously, you're like the OLED of LTE.

Man I wanted that phone so BAD. Sold out before the Google Play store opened in Canada

Where is your proof? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_(telecommunication)
Seriously, tell me how you worked out that 50% number. Or do you also need a +/- 50% margin of error?

Apple released 3 models of iPhone 5 to work for over 80% of the LTE bands.

How many models of the Galaxy Nexus did Google release due to basebands? 5.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_Nexus

How many models of the Nexus S? Also 5.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus_S

Google could have as easily made 3! That's why it's total BS from Google's end.

P.S. Cite your sources the next time you want to argue. I can be all Paul Ryan and pull BS numbers and percentages from ideological standpoints too. If you think Wikipedia is wrong, needs updating, or incomplete, feel free to make updates.

P.P.S. 10 out of 12 is not 50%. And 27% is also not 2x! Sorry, I had to rub it in cause evidently I'm insulting you by pointing those out!

You're making up numbers again. Try responding to my actual post if you want an actual response. Until then, you're just trolling. And you're still wrong (and why you keep getting called out on it).

You're making up numbers again. Try responding to my actual post if you want an actual response. Until then, you're just trolling. And you're still wrong (and why you keep getting called out on it).
It's useless to respond to a troll post without any evidence to suggest otherwise. Face it. You're awful with numbers. Seriously, make another post pulling "facts" from nowhere if you want and suggest that I'm the one without using facts or that I have Wikipedia in my pocket. Don't care . You just hate to be wrong.

Here's the reason why America now demands LTE:
http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/10/12/npd.finds.22.percent.of.q2.phones.have.4g.support/
Article from a little more than one month ago cites a report on NPD pointing that 4G smartphone sells jumped from 3% to 22% in a single quarter. You can say it's the iPhone 5, but it does not dismiss that Americans are now buying phones with 4G. The holiday seasons are here, I also going to expect another get huge increase of 4G smartphone sells. There's another poll that suggests people don't even know what 4G is, but sells number is what actually counts.

Nexus 4 is sold out now primarily due to the initial stock being low and there are enthusiasts like us.

And here's a hexaband phone doing exactly what I am suggesting:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039328176&postcount=193

Last edited:
I love being wrong. It's an oppurtunity to learn. The problem is that when YOU are wrong, you get defensive and insult others. You gloss over posts (like my last one) that fully explain the issue and then rehash the same arguement. Case in point, in my last post I pointed out how the last time you asked for sources, I wasted my time providing it. You then admitted to not even reading the lost and then flamed me anyway.

You are not capable of an intelligent or civil debate. You have no desire to learn. You also completely make up numbers and then tell the other party that they are bad at math. You think others here don't notice? You have almost zero credibility here.

Here's the reason why America now demands LTE:
http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/10/12/npd.finds.22.percent.of.q2.phones.have.4g.support/
Article from a little more than one month ago cites a report on NPD pointing that 4G smartphone sells jumped from 3% to 22% in a single quarter. You can say it's the iPhone 5, but it does not dismiss that Americans are now buying phones with 4G. The holiday seasons are here, I also going to expect another get huge increase of 4G smartphone sells. There's another poll that suggests people don't even know what 4G is, but sells number is what actually counts.

Sales numbers do count, but only if you consider the context. Did the number of 3G phones for sale change compared to LTE phones? If providers are stocking mostly LTE phones and they're heavily promoting them, I'm not sure you can claim that America "demands" it. A sales jump from 3% to 22% is significant but you can't directly attribute that to American demand without further proof, especially if as you say there's a poll that suggest people don't even know what 4G is.

Nexus 4 is sold out now primarily due to the initial stock being low and there are enthusiasts like us.
Well I guess at this point we're both making guesses, I think they had a reasonable amount of stock and they just sold out, while you think they had low stock and only enthusiasts bought the phone.

And here's a hexaband phone doing exactly what I am suggesting:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039328176&postcount=193
Cool, so there is at least one phone that has hexaband. Are there any more? I mean, you did say it's easy :p

I love being wrong. It's an oppurtunity to learn. The problem is that when YOU are wrong, you get defensive and insult others. You gloss over posts (like my last one) that fully explain the issue and then rehash the same arguement. Case in point, in my last post I pointed out how the last time you asked for sources, I wasted my time providing it. You then admitted to not even reading the lost and then flamed me anyway.

You are not capable of an intelligent or civil debate. You have no desire to learn. You also completely make up numbers and then tell the other party that they are bad at math. You think others here don't notice? You have almost zero credibility here.

I do have to agree that it's in bad taste to resort to name calling and personal attacks. Why can't we just have a civil discussion?

The American market now demands LTE.

I guess you don't realize America isn't really just the big cities. The closest LTE to where I live is in Vegas and it's 2 hours away. LTE is meaningless to me and to a lot of America.

Cool, so there is at least one phone that has hexaband. Are there any more? I mean, you did say it's easy :p
It's the same modem in most Snapdragon S4's. So clearly, it can be done with a MDM9600 or an MDM9615 instead of that MDM9215 Google decided to use in the Nexus 4. Roger's LG Optimus G, Samsung Galaxy S3, Motorola RAZR HD LTE, HTC 8x, HTX One X, and Samsung G Note 2 are all hexaband! That's at least 7 phones counting the Lumia 920 too. (Go to Rogers.com and check it yourself.)

Verizon even sells a "World LTE" MiFi® 4620L and EuFi890 that are heptaband (7) using that very same MDM9615 modem.

The point here is Google can clearly support most of the world's current LTE with just two models.

I do have to agree that it's in bad taste to resort to name calling and personal attacks. Why can't we just have a civil discussion?
I'm not even going to respond to that because I've not called him any names or personal attacks. See posts. Making shit up and painting me as a name caller is just hilarious!

Last edited:
I'm not even going to respond to that because I've not called him any names or personal attacks. See posts. Making shit up and painting me as a name caller is just hilarious!

Lol, you responded to it by saying you're not going to respond to it, then respond even more to it.. respondception! :p

Hey CHANG3D, please also tell us about the wonders of the cloud and how it's better than any local storage options could ever be! ;)

Alright alright, so Google can easily add LTE to their devices and only have two models...when they said they don't want multiple models. That still doesn't address the fact that they don't want the licensing and certification required for their software updates. Verizon is notoriously difficult, but even disregarding Verizon you can see that updates take a while to show up OTA on any provider. Direct from Google is damn near instant in comparison.

In the end Google made their decision and they've already released the phone and no amount of complaining is going to change that. I believe and hope that the next Nexus phone will have LTE, but personally speaking it's not a priority. I just like the fact that I got a fairly well performing phone with no contract for $349.

I guess you don't realize America isn't really just the big cities. The closest LTE to where I live is in Vegas and it's 2 hours away. LTE is meaningless to me and to a lot of America.

The population in the big cities accounts for over 80% of the population in America.

Total population of the top 100 largest cities (as defined as places of more than 100,000 inhabitants): 85,459,044

Total USA population: 308,745,538

Percentage of population in the top 100 largest cities: ~28%

Sources:
Census 2010
Largest 100 cities

Then let me be more clear since I didn't state "the top 100 largest cities in the US" and as someone that lives in rural America my definition of a big city isn't tied to only the cities with 100,000+. That said there's at least 285 US cities with a population of 100,000+ and more than 80% of the US population is in urban developed areas that are either currently in LTE coverage or most likely will be in the next year or two. Verizon alone states coverage in 440+ cities covering 80% of the US and is committed to their entire 3G footprint going 4G LTE by mid-2013 so to think that LTE isn't an important feature for the largest part of the US population is just wrong.

Last edited:

I just knew that one was wrong. :D

That's why I listed my source as Census 2010 :p

Then let me be more clear since I didn't state "the top 100 largest cities in the US" and as someone that lives in rural America my definition of a big city isn't tied to only the cities with 100,000+. That said there's at least 285 US cities with a population of 100,000+ and more than 80% of the US population is in urban developed areas that are either currently in LTE coverage or most likely will be in the next year or two. Verizon alone states coverage in 440+ cities covering 80% of the US and is committed to their entire 3G footprint going 4G LTE by mid-2013 so to think that LTE isn't an important feature for the largest part of the US population is just wrong.

I think that's a bit of a jump in logic to go from saying LTE has 80% coverage of the USA = 80% of the population believes LTE is an important feature.

I guess your statement could be correct if you run with the assumption that a big city includes any city with population over 2,500. 2010 Census counts 80.7% of the population as living in an urban area (defined as any territory with at least 2,500 people). Personally speaking, I wouldn't count 2,500 as a big city.
Source:
2010 Census Urban and Rural Classification and Urban Area Criteria

Also, just got this email from Google:

Thank you for your recent purchase on Google Play. Due to overwhelming demand, your Nexus 4 is on backorder and is expected to ship within three weeks. We’ll send you a notification when your order has shipped and will credit the shipping charges.

To check the status of your order at any time, visit the link below: https://wallet.google.com/manage/#transactions

If you would prefer to cancel your order, please reply to this email and our team will assist you. Or you can cancel your order using our online tool. Please follow the instructions found here:
http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2423477

We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you again for your order.

Thanks,
The Google Play Team

Last edited:
So no new stock for 3 weeks from now :mad: Did LG and Google really screw this launch up :rolleyes: I am curious what will happen, once it's back in stock on the Play store ? I bet it's sold out right away again.

Maybe LG blew the expectations on the quantities expected to sell at launch ? And they are no Samsung manufacturing powerhouse, that can handle a huge surge of orders. Maybe LG just doesn't have the power to keep up with a million new Nexus 4's, only expecting to sell several hundred thousand ? I don't know.

This reminds me, of the old video card days, doing a paper launch of a new hot device, with extreme limited supply at first, taking a good couple months to have a healthy stock available for all.

I am in need of a new phone, I like the Nexus line. My options are buy it off Craigslist for extra $150 premium, or just say F it, and get the Note II ?

That's why I listed my source as Census 2010 :p

I think that's a bit of a jump in logic to go from saying LTE has 80% coverage of the USA = 80% of the population believes LTE is an important feature.

I guess your statement could be correct if you run with the assumption that a big city includes any city with population over 2,500. 2010 Census counts 80.7% of the population as living in an urban area (defined as any territory with at least 2,500 people). Personally speaking, I wouldn't count 2,500 as a big city.
Source:
2010 Census Urban and Rural Classification and Urban Area Criteria

Also, just got this email from Google:
First, congratulations on being able to buy a phone. It says sold out still for me. Yes, I'm dropping Sprint to get one with Straight Talk.

Second, I have never mentioned 80% of America wants LTE. The only time when I mentioned 80% is pointing out Apple's iPhone 5 supports 80% of all LTE currently available, 10 out of 12 LTE basebands currently in use. I pointed out a huge increase in 4G phone sells since the last quarter from 3% to 22% as evidence that LTE is important to the US market now.

Third, my issue is with Google's excuse. The Nexus S and the GNex had 5 models for various basebands. The technology now would at least heptaband phones if not octaband or beyond. And the hexaband phones in Canada clearly supports all GSM carrier's North American LTE. From the looks of things, one heptaband modem supporting 700, 800, 850, 1700, 1800 (first time mentioned), 1900, 2100 MHz would support more LTE than the Apple's iPhone 5 globally. Google's excuse is that the technology is not yet ready to support most of the world is, therefore, false. In reality, Google's soured relationship with Verizon is the true cause. But I don't care about Verizon. The Nexus should be GSM carriers only in the first place. And, most importantly, if the technology isn't ready now, how would it be ready next year when the only improvement from the MDM9615 to MDM9625 is the inclusion TD-LTE? It's not! This points back to the real reason being Google's hate of Verizon, which in turn points back to why they should have partnered with Verizon in the first place. This is why I find it hard to believe Google's excuse. If they came out and said, "Verizon screwed us over and we don't want to deal with them until later," then I'm fine with that.

Fourth, your demographic on cities' population are, although factually true, paints an incomplete picture. It isn't counting suburbs. 75% of the US population live in metropolitan areas.

"As of 2011, about 250 million Americans live in or around urban areas. That means more than three-quarters of the U.S. population shares just about three percent of the U.S. land area."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States

I didn't just buy it, I bought it the same day it was released. I posted the email because it was an order update and I figured others would be interested in the info.

The 80% comment was made by burningrave101; I was replying to him which is why I quoted him.

You should know that Google would never say that Verizon screwed them. With Verizon controlling such a large customer base that would be one hell of a bridge to burn. So basically, you're angry that Google didn't alienate Verizon in public? ok.

I'm not sure how I'm painting an incomplete picture with what I said in the quote. I was debating the 80% in big cities claim. Yes, I was being a semantics retard and I'll admit it :)

Yeah but nobody cares about what happens in Tonopah... lol

First, 10 out of 12 is not 80%. Check you math before you insult the math of others. Second, there are at least 16 LTE bands and at minimum 35 frequencies in use today. The iPhone 5 does not work on "80%" of LTE networks even if you count the three different models as one device. Case in point, LTE 700 does not work on all 700mhz networks as there are 4 bands and at least 5 blocks in use within just that frequency range.

Lastly, the device you metioned is not hexaband. It's penta-band.

In my perusal of this sub-forum I have found your information and arguments to be generally spot-on, Medion.

In my perusal of this sub-forum I have found your information and arguments to be generally spot-on, Medion.

We're not always right though. In my time as an enthusiast and even as a ROM developer, I've learned a lot from the various communities I've participated in. People like Change3D aggravate me, because they spout their assumptions as fact, insult those who disagree with them, and have the ability to actually convince new users that they are the one who is correct.

I'm not going to lie. I'm not an expert on cellular radio technology. I can only go off of what I read. CPUs are my specialty and GPUs are of high interest. But what he's saying about radios is patently false. First of all, I have yet to see a single device support more than 5 LTE bands on one device. The iPhone 5, which he claims to support 10 different LTE bands, actually comes in three different versions. They are;

A1428 - LTE bands 700(b) and 1700
A1429 - LTE bands 850, 1800, 2100
A1429 CDMA - 700(c), 850, 1800, 1900, 2100

There are several phones now that list "700mhz LTE support." The problem is that 700mhz is divided into at least 4 bands and at least 5 blocks. You must specifically support the c-block for Verizon (and be registered on their network), or the b-block for AT&T. As of today, there are no devices that support both the b-block and c-block. However, it is unknown if this is a technical limitation (highly unlikely) or just something that Verizon and AT&T want (highly likely).

So his assertion that the iPhone supports 10 bands is patently false. Firstly, no iPhone model supports more than 5 bands. Secondly, if you add up all supported bands, there are 7 supported bands as 850, 1800, and 2100 (bands 1, 3, 5) are duplicated between models A1429 and A1429-CDMA.

As for Google, anyone who specifically states that Google's Nexus strategy is "insert idea here," is speculating. We don't know what their strategy is. However, there are some elements that we can make educated guesses on. For example, the Nexus has always been a reference device. A means of getting the operating system out there (1-2% of userbase) before the floodgates open. Apple puts out the next iOS in beta format about 6 months before release. Think of the Nexus as a beta for the OS before other handsets get it, either via update or released on phone. In this case, Google seems to want to do this as cheaply as possible, and thus, with the lowest overhead as possible. By making one quad-band GSM / penta-band UMTS device, they can work, and work very well, on the majority of networks worldwide. By introducing LTE in just one model, they would raise costs, raise battery drain, and support relatively few networks. They'd have to make multiple models. Yes, they've done multiple models before, but they seem to not want to do this anymore.

Does the above speculation make me right? Of course not. It's a series of educated guesses. I could further speculate that three developments next fall should make the next Nexus LTE compatible. They are;

-expanding global LE coverage (coverage outside of the US today is abysmal)
-European Union coalescing around two bands (they currently use up to 8 bands)
-Radios that more easily support penta-band LTE

By doing this, they could make a penta-band version that would work on US GSM operators (700b, 1700), European operators (supposedly 1800, 2100), and then one more band for limited support outside of the US/Canda/EU, such as 850 or 1900. Maybe we can get all 6 bands on one radio by then. Who knows?

But anyone who thinks that they could say that Google is "stupid" for not doing "XYZ" clearly does not know as much as they think that they know. If it were THAT easy to support 10 bands in one device, Google would have done it. But for whatever reason unique to Google, they chose not to do it.

Oh, and 10 out of 12 is 83.33% :)

Got this email today:
Thank you for your recent purchase on Google Play. Due to overwhelming demand, your Nexus 4 is on backorder and is expected to ship within three weeks. We’ll send you a notification when your order has shipped

scumbagnexus.png

Yeah, I'm pretty fucking pissed.

I got the same fucking email today !!!!! WTF ??? Come on Google, get your act together FFS.....

We're not always right though. In my time as an enthusiast and even as a ROM developer, I've learned a lot from the various communities I've participated in. People like Change3D aggravate me, because they spout their assumptions as fact, insult those who disagree with them, and have the ability to actually convince new users that they are the one who is correct.

</snip>

Thank you very much for taking the time to write that post that out. It's very appreciated :)

I'm not going to lie. I'm not an expert on cellular radio technology. I can only go off of what I read. CPUs are my specialty and GPUs are of high interest. But what he's saying about radios is patently false. First of all, I have yet to see a single device support more than 5 LTE bands on one device. The iPhone 5, which he claims to support 10 different LTE bands, actually comes in three different versions. They are;

A1428 - LTE bands 700(b) and 1700
A1429 - LTE bands 850, 1800, 2100
A1429 CDMA - 700(c), 850, 1800, 1900, 2100

There are several phones now that list "700mhz LTE support." The problem is that 700mhz is divided into at least 4 bands and at least 5 blocks. You must specifically support the c-block for Verizon (and be registered on their network), or the b-block for AT&T. As of today, there are no devices that support both the b-block and c-block. However, it is unknown if this is a technical limitation (highly unlikely) or just something that Verizon and AT&T want (highly likely).

So his assertion that the iPhone supports 10 bands is patently false. Firstly, no iPhone model supports more than 5 bands. Secondly, if you add up all supported bands, there are 7 supported bands as 850, 1800, and 2100 (bands 1, 3, 5) are duplicated between models A1429 and A1429-CDMA.

As for Google, anyone who specifically states that Google's Nexus strategy is "insert idea here," is speculating. We don't know what their strategy is. However, there are some elements that we can make educated guesses on. For example, the Nexus has always been a reference device. A means of getting the operating system out there (1-2% of userbase) before the floodgates open. Apple puts out the next iOS in beta format about 6 months before release. Think of the Nexus as a beta for the OS before other handsets get it, either via update or released on phone. In this case, Google seems to want to do this as cheaply as possible, and thus, with the lowest overhead as possible. By making one quad-band GSM / penta-band UMTS device, they can work, and work very well, on the majority of networks worldwide. By introducing LTE in just one model, they would raise costs, raise battery drain, and support relatively few networks. They'd have to make multiple models. Yes, they've done multiple models before, but they seem to not want to do this anymore.

Does the above speculation make me right? Of course not. It's a series of educated guesses. I could further speculate that three developments next fall should make the next Nexus LTE compatible. They are;

-expanding global LE coverage (coverage outside of the US today is abysmal)
-European Union coalescing around two bands (they currently use up to 8 bands)
-Radios that more easily support penta-band LTE

By doing this, they could make a penta-band version that would work on US GSM operators (700b, 1700), European operators (supposedly 1800, 2100), and then one more band for limited support outside of the US/Canda/EU, such as 850 or 1900. Maybe we can get all 6 bands on one radio by then. Who knows?

But anyone who thinks that they could say that Google is "stupid" for not doing "XYZ" clearly does not know as much as they think that they know. If it were THAT easy to support 10 bands in one device, Google would have done it. But for whatever reason unique to Google, they chose not to do it.

Oh, and 10 out of 12 is 83.33% :)
Sounds about right. Plus in a year UMTS1700 should be pretty much dead in the US, freeing up that set of amps and equipment for a different band of LTE.
Putting the 700Mhz blocks in one hardware model is going to be a sticking point, I believe.

First teardown of the Nexus 4 from Anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/2435#1

I wish they supplied a picture of the rear side of that main PCB. That way I can check for remnants of micro sdcard pins for a potential internal sdcard mod (since its based on the Optimus G that supported sdcards).

Also, I wonder how feasible is it swap out the camera module, IMX111PQ, for a IMX091PQ (13MP sensor found in the Optimus G). Assuming it is physically compatible (same driving chips and interconnects as the Optimus G), I'm sure some can create a custom rom with the correct drivers based on those found on the Optimus G.

Also, I wonder how feasible is it swap out the camera module, IMX111PQ, for a IMX091PQ (13MP sensor found in the Optimus G). Assuming it is physically compatible (same driving chips and interconnects as the Optimus G), I'm sure some can create a custom rom with the correct drivers based on those found on the Optimus G.

If possible, I believe you'd have a protrusion of the lens out the back due to the 13MP sensor being slightly larger than the 8MP sensor.

Medion, point out where I called you names. Seriously, you're making stuff up.

I said Apple covered over 80%, 10 of 12 currently used LTE basebands, with three models. Keyword is over. And saying 80% is still contained by 83.3%; unlike you who claims 50%. Google could do that with two models. But then I said Google should ignore CDMA carriers in general. That could mathematically reduce it down to a single heptaband phone with 7 basebands which we know is absolutely possible. (And where did I get the numerical prefix wrong?)

So you're now pointing out that the 700 Mhz spectrum is split out in different blocks; thank you for finally offering specifics, although misinformed. First of all, the reason why Apple had it that way is to lock it down by carriers. Even the CDMA svdo was disabled for no reason. So pointing out that Apple didn't do it/holding back features as the reason why the MDM9615 can't do it is something we have already talked about in the iPhone 5 thread.

Read again:
http://www.sonlte.com/2012/03/08/more-digging-on-the-new-ipad-regarding-carrier-lock-down/

The only flaw is a hardware flaw with band 25 which is Sprint's 1900 Mhz, which most of the rest of the world does not use. And since it's CDMA, don't care. The article also implies that the MDM9615 could truly be world capable on a single chip, provided that it's data only and Qualcomm fixes the band 25 issues. The MDM9625 in the same regard can support all of the future with td-lte. Or a current Fugitsu modem currently available could support all currently available LTE.

Something from the Sprint forum that talks about this band 25 issue: (evidently it's the antenna and read wiwavelength's comments)
http://s4gru.com/index.php?app=blog...e024f8a71424996db6d9af08c1fc&settingNewSkin=2 (but, again, the Nexus should be GSM carriers only)

Another source on the possibility of a single world LTE phone provided you ignore Sprint's 1900 MHz:
http://www.4gtrends.com/articles/115244/iphone-5-the-next-killer-app-for-4g-lte/ (seriously, it's just sprint!)

So the conclusion that I am making is that ignoring CDMA carriers a single phone could support most of the world's LTE. And I would expect a multi-modal modem's power consumption to be minimal by adding an extra baseband because it's a single modem in the first place.

When I'm wrong, I'll be happy to admit it. When you're wrong, you're accusing me of calling you names and misquoting me everywhere! And this is a Google fanboy site. I don't expect to be very popular by pointing out Google's BS about LTE. If Google just don't want to do it, then Google should say that as the reason and saying BS about LTE not being ready except for TD-LTE which isn't even available in the first place.

Last edited:
If possible, I believe you'd have a protrusion of the lens out the back due to the 13MP sensor being slightly larger than the 8MP sensor.

I'm sure some simple mod can fix that issue. There is a plastic back plate that I'm sure one can eliminate for more depth space.

Another detailed teardown from ifixit
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus+4+Teardown/11781/3

Here they show you the 8GB flash chip. It is a THGBM5G6A2JBAIR chip. I'm sure someone with a IR soldering station and other surface mount tools can easily mod the nexus 4 8GB into a nexus 4 32GB or even 64GB (THGBM5G8A4JBAIM and THGBM5G9B8JBAIE, respectively) :D

For those who prefer to read technical details, here's Qualcomm's application to the FCC requesting interoperability. Basically, like the smaller carriers, Qualcomm wants to see some standardized frequencies, as done in Europe. For us, that means handsets working on multiple carriers. For Qualcomm, it means less overhead in chip production.

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7021921420

Some key notes from within:

However, the RTR8600 cannot, without modification, support both Bands 12 and 17.
That is because Qualcomm’s chipsets are built with a limited number of “ports,” each one of
which supports a different frequency band or “path.” The RTR8600’s ports can support five 2G,
3G, or 4G paths, two of which can be lower 3G or 4G frequency bands—bands below 1 GHz,
including the 3GPP-designated 700 MHz bands and the 850 MHz band. Because Block A
operators typically require support for the 850MHz band in order to maintain backward
compatibility, the RTR8600 does not have sufficient ports to support two additional 700 MHz
bands, such as Bands 12 and 17.

Translation:

-Their current 8600, 9600 (and derived 9615) cannot support more than 5 frequencies in one device. So those 7-10 band LTE devices that some have mentioned are currently a pipe dream. Note that this is 5 combined frequencies. Support for GSM 850 and LTE 700 counts as two frequencies.

-Due to GSM 850 being a requirement for most networks in the world, and the device only being able to handle 2 sub-1ghz bands, no Qualcomm radio can currently support both the blocks needed to support LTE on Verizon and AT&T (as I stated, and feared).

Not to derail the thread more, but I thought I'd give my personal experience. This was going to be my first venture into the android world after sticking with ios for so long, but with the way the launch went I was really turned off. I was up till 12 trying to grab it and up again at 8 pounding f5 and had the 16g nexus 4 in cart more times than I can count with nothing but fails. I don't want to get into how Google should have done things, but it just rubbed me the wrong way. I did end up swallowing my pride a bit and going with a Samsung s3 and giving android a try, even though I was tempted to just stick with ios. I don't know the point of this post, I felt I needed to vent.

Not to derail the thread more, but I thought I'd give my personal experience. This was going to be my first venture into the android world after sticking with ios for so long, but with the way the launch went I was really turned off. I was up till 12 trying to grab it and up again at 8 pounding f5 and had the 16g nexus 4 in cart more times than I can count with nothing but fails. I don't want to get into how Google should have done things, but it just rubbed me the wrong way. I did end up swallowing my pride a bit and going with a Samsung s3 and giving android a try, even though I was tempted to just stick with ios. I don't know the point of this post, I felt I needed to vent.

We're like a support group here, so you're certainly not off topic. I hope that you enjoy the SGS3 and also hope that you weren't simply settling for it. The Nexus 4 will become available again and eventually supply will meet demand. Too many people think that they have to have a product the day it comes out or not at all.

The SGS4 should be out around April if the last 3 launches are any indication. I plan to buy it 1-2 months after release as Expansys loves to charge about $200 over retail for the first month or so for high demand handsets ($800 for the Lumia 920? Really!?). I'll buy that. I'll then look at the "Nexus 5," and if Google has accidently stumbled upon a trove of NAND chips larger than 16GB, I may sell off the SGS4. Whichever phone I end up with in the fall of 2013 (Nexus 5, SGS4, HTC DLX, etc.), I'll be keeping for at least 2 years. Hell, my SGS2 will be over 2 years old when the SGS4 releases :)

So bottom line, like me, don't settle. If you know what you want, be patient and take it. You basically gave up on the phone you want (or came across as such) because you don't want to wait another 3-6 weeks, but instead bought a phone that is about 7 months old right now.

I don't think settle is the right word, I was looking at both phones at the time. I just felt burned enough by the launch to just not consider either. At some point you have to vote with your wallet and I felt I didn't do that.
edit: love the phone, just a learning experience.

Last edited:
I don't think settle is the right word, I was looking at both phones at the time. I just felt burned enough by the launch to just not consider either. At some point you have to vote with your wallet and I felt I didn't do that.

Burnt by the launch? Really? Stop whining, you lost nothing!

Fair enough, I can respect that. However, you're going to have this problem with just about any phone that doesn't have enough supply to meet initial demand, IE; iPhone, Galaxy S, Lumia, pretty much the standard bearers for each OS. You competed for a launch model, you lost, but if you got another phone you wanted just as much, you're fine.

Burnt by the launch? Really? Stop whining, you lost nothing!

That might not be true. I know I'm losing a minimum of $50 waiting for my phone to arrive..... and it really pisses me off when CS said "Your phone will ship on the 15th".

Fair enough, I can respect that. However, you're going to have this problem with just about any phone that doesn't have enough supply to meet initial demand, IE; iPhone, Galaxy S, Lumia, pretty much the standard bearers for each OS. You competed for a launch model, you lost, but if you got another phone you wanted just as much, you're fine.

I agree with you every company has issues with their initial big releases like this and I probably just got a bit too caught up in the hype. Also my first time using the play store was that night/morning and it was a bit of a shock, maybe I just expected to much. Expect nothing and never disappointed, right? However, I'm really glad I didn't let that put me off as I'm really enjoying this phone and android.

As far as whining, I'm sorry it came off as such, I just wanted to give my experience with all this. Is it not PC to be dissatisfied with something?

Back