LED backlight and colour gamut

Biges

[H]ard|Gawd
Maybe I have a noob question, but:

Can LED backlights change its colour gamut, or is it fixed in the same way as in CCFL? Or can special LED backlights do this?

What I had HP LP2480zx for testing, I noticed a very good sRGB mode and the monitor always briefly switched the LED backlight on/off.

Too bad I didn't have a calibrator these days.

You would need backlight LEDs that could change the spectrum of light they emit to change the gamut of a screen.

You would need backlight LEDs that could change the spectrum of light they emit to change the gamut of a screen.

Yes, I understand that :) But I don't know it it is technically possible.

The spectrum of light that LEDs emit is dependant on the chemical makeup of the LED itself so it is fixed and cannot be varied during use.

It doesn't matter, LED vs CCFL, same issue. Theoretically, a wide gamut screen should be able to do an sRGB mode (via digital transformation, not altering the BLU output), but none to date have really made any serious attempt at matching an honest sRBG panel, much less while being fully functional.

It doesn't matter, LED vs CCFL, same issue. Theoretically, a wide gamut screen should be able to do an sRGB mode (via digital transformation, not altering the BLU output), but none to date have really made any serious attempt at matching an honest sRBG panel, much less while being fully functional.

Thanks for the answers! :)

Well, luckily NEC 2690 has a quite good sRGB mode, I think they have a fixed LUT for this.

Anyway, it seems the correct colour management will have to be performed by graphic cards, especially because the "wide-gamut" is current LCD fetish.

The 2690 cannot be calibrated in sRGB mode, and from what I've read it's still a tad reddish. I just stuck my wide gamut 3090 into sRGB, but it doesn't really look like my 2490.

Having said that, I think you'd like the 2690, unless you are a hardcore sRGB photoshop user, etc.

Actually, it's a tad yellowish for my 2690, and the white point for sRGB is fixed at the factory setting. The sRGB mode is usable, and with the latest North American spectraview II version can be somewhat calibrated, but still is DE94 average of over 7 so it's barely OK in my opinion.

The 2690WU2 is supposed to offer full sRGB calibration, but lacks the A-TW polarizer presumably because LG (in my opinion) stopped making it with the new W02 version of the 25.5" panel.

The 2690WU2 is supposed to offer full sRGB calibration, but lacks the A-TW polarizer presumably because LG (in my opinion) stopped making it with the new W02 version of the 25.5" panel.

In my opinion, I think it is NEC who stop adding the A-TW polarizer to the monitor because both Planar PX2611w and the original NEC 2690WUXi (love that monitor) use the same LCD panel, but the PX2611w lacks the A-TW polarizer.

The 2690 cannot be calibrated in sRGB mode, and from what I've read it's still a tad reddish. I just stuck my wide gamut 3090 into sRGB, but it doesn't really look like my 2490.

Having said that, I think you'd like the 2690, unless you are a hardcore sRGB photoshop user, etc.

Actually, it's a tad yellowish for my 2690, and the white point for sRGB is fixed at the factory setting. The sRGB mode is usable, and with the latest North American spectraview II version can be somewhat calibrated, but still is DE94 average of over 7 so it's barely OK in my opinion.

Actually white in the sRGB mode in 2690 CAN be adjusted. I posted about it with surprisingly little attention:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1354841

So I'm able to move it more to reddish or blueish.

Back