Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

2209WAf A01 made in China.

This monitor is gorgeous. At first I was really unimpressed because things seemed darker and had less "pop". I have since realized that the pop isn't gone, its just not everywhere like it used to be. Its "proper".

Its gorgeous.

Interesting to see so many panels from China...anyone else get one from Mexico?

I have one from China and one from Mexico. They are pretty much the exact same- only difference was the DVI cables were shaped differently at the connectors.

The actual panels and the electronics probably all come from the same LG plant in china or korea or wherever regardless of where it was put together.

I got mine a few days ago.
A01 Made in China baby!

Time to switch this out the old Asus VW266H 1920x1200 Tn Panel with this!

My settings are:
Input - DVI
Brightness - 75 ( Brightness at 0 when viewing the web!, Don't want to strain my eyes)
Contrast - 75

Color Settings
Mode selection - Graphics
Preset Modes -Custom (RGB)
R - 100 Up
G - 92 Up
B - 96 Up

Sharpness - 50
Dynamic Contrast - Off (No clue what it is)

does anyone know how to set it to 75hz? when i click unhide unsupported refresh rate i still cant see 75hz.

And what's with the plastic smell on this? I haven't bought a new monitor for a long time and i notice theres a smell with this monitor.

good news i was able to custom my res to allow it to be set at 75 hz. Much less screen tearing in tf2 now =D

Let's just hope it doesn't have a negative effect on the longevity of my monitor.

Got my monitor today and couldn't be happier. First I set it up and was somewhat satisfied, then I plugged in my old TN next to it and was shocked. This monitor is just wonderful.

I RMA'd my monitor after experiencing the yellow line problem. It rears its ugly head when the monitor has been off for several hours and is then turned back on. It fades away in a few minutes, but yeah, eff that.

The Dell rep told me 2209WA was on backorder into September. Fedex tried to deliver it yesterday, but I wasn't here :p

Picture of "the thin yellow line":

monitordefect.jpg

nvm got 75hz, but didn't notice a difference, so i set it back.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on how well the Xbox 360 does in the 1680 x 1050 mode with this monitor? I don't have an HDTV yet, but I'm considering picking up a 360 if I can get a quality HD experience. I've read sporadic reports that, while it works nicely with the black bars, the image often becomes very aliased.

Anyone have any first hand experience to share?

Looking at getting one of these through Dell Outlet as apparently they have quite a few (or did the other day) and they are only going for $199. Figure a refurb for that price is worth it.

Anyone have any experience with the Dell Refurbs?

Can anyone comment on how well the Xbox 360 does in the 1680 x 1050 mode with this monitor? I don't have an HDTV yet, but I'm considering picking up a 360 if I can get a quality HD experience. I've read sporadic reports that, while it works nicely with the black bars, the image often becomes very aliased.

No black bars, aliasing would be the result of this monitor's incredible clarity. That's a good thing :)

I just hooked mine up earlier with the Component-> VGA adapter. It looks incredible. Something like shadow complex would be too amazing...Wish I had it!

That's the Xbox 360 putting in the aliasing. It has nothing to do with the screen. It doesn't look any worse than my 1080 37" TV except that I'm sitting closer to the monitor than I would be to the TV.

I've used mine with my 360 over VGA at 1680x1050 without issue or regret and because the monitor is sRGB you don't get incorrect, oversaturated colors. Basically it works as it should.

Just set up the replacement A01, China. The original was Mexico. Mfg. date is August while the original was July. I noticed that when rotated to portrait the mechanism feels slightly "chunkier" when it clicks into place. I like it. And no yellow line!

But...When I rotate to portrait, my picture remains in landscape. Shouldn't that switch automatically? driver issue?

No mate, it's not automatically, and I don't think it would be automatically unless there's some communication from the screen by USB or something providing the orientation. Rotate the screen using either your nvidia or ati control panel. If onboard video, there might be an option for rotation.

No black bars, aliasing would be the result of this monitor's incredible clarity. That's a good thing :)

I just hooked mine up earlier with the Component-> VGA adapter. It looks incredible. Something like shadow complex would be too amazing...Wish I had it!

That's the Xbox 360 putting in the aliasing. It has nothing to do with the screen. It doesn't look any worse than my 1080 37" TV except that I'm sitting closer to the monitor than I would be to the TV.

I've used mine with my 360 over VGA at 1680x1050 without issue or regret and because the monitor is sRGB you don't get incorrect, oversaturated colors. Basically it works as it should.
Thanks for the input guys. Went out and picked one up tonight and am more than pleased. :) I'm using it via an DVI-->HDMI adapter however. I also have a component-->VGA adapter as well. Is there any compelling reason to use this instead? Right now I have them both plugged in anyways--the HDMI for video obviously, then the regular HD cable so I can get audio. And I'll also note I had to take the bottom plastic piece off the HD cable so I get manage to get both plugged in at the same time.

Aren't the deep blacks effin' nice in games? I honestly think component probably provides just as clear a signal as HDMI, so if it's easier to hook up audio with component (it certainly is for me), I'd go that route.

I don't know if its just me, but pictures look amazing. Although, gaming image quality seems to be lacking.

Ok after 30 minutes of messing around with the LCD, I decided on these settings due to the fact that I don't do any photo editing. All I do is...
80% Gaming
20% Browsing the Interwebs

I decided that the best image is the one I enjoy most.

A01 Made in China

My settings are:
Input - DVI
Brightness - 75 ( Brightness at 0 when viewing the web!, Don't want to strain my eyes)
Contrast - 75

Color Settings
Mode selection - Graphics
Preset Modes -Custom (RGB)
R - 100 Up
G - 92 Up
B - 96 Up

Sharpness - On

And in my ATI Catalyst 9.8 I toned the gamma down from 1.00 to .90

i dont see what the infatuation is over these Dell displays. All I've heard is they're problematic -- I guess that's why they push their service plans so much, marketing genius. Everyone that I've known that has owned a Dell product has vowed to never do business with them again.

i dont see what the infatuation is over these Dell displays. All I've heard is they're problematic -- I guess that's why they push their service plans so much, marketing genius. Everyone that I've known that has owned a Dell product has vowed to never do business with them again.

OK. Cool story, bro! ;)

This thread is 55 pages for a reason.

Also, take a good look at the Ultrasharp warranty ;)

Emphasis added is mine.

Have you ever actually owned one of these? Shoot, have you ever owned any Dell display? I'll be the first to admit I'm not a Dell apologist. Heck, I'm primarily a Mac guy when not at work. Definitely not a big fan of Dell's computers, but man....their displays, on the whole, rock. Even their TN panels are usable. But their *PVA and *IPS panels are generally great values for the money. And you can't beat the warranty.

For their PCs I agree, but their displays have always been highly regarded, and this only took a hit with their foray into replacing IPS panels with S-PVA panels from Samsung that were laggier and had more color shifting issues.

It's nice to see them back to where they were in the early 21st century: Making relatively inexpensive, high-quality IPS displays.

The 2209WA is the first display to bring them back to those days when they were duking it out with Viewsonic and LG on the desktop, and users benefit as a result.

Hi

I just got the 2209WA and I have pretty bad flickering - wavy distortion - using VGA (I dont have DVI) I tested it on other PC VGA too that one doesnt have DVI either. I m using eizo monitor test software and there I can see clearly flickering when I am seeing the grey test pictures. My 4 years old toshiba laptop passes flickering test easilly...

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Windows-Widgets/System-Utilities/Eizo-MonitorTest.shtml

Has anyone experienced such an issue? It might be the VGA. Even if it is that is pretty bad it should be flawless with VGA not only DVI....IMO

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Dell doesn't have service plans on monitors at all as far as I know, just regular warranties (which happen to be the best in the business). Beyond that, most dell panels are actually made by LG. Dell computers may or may not suck (I have no idea) but I don't think anyone on this forum would care at all, you know, because they don't buy pre built. Does dell actually make any other "products"?

Ironically, I've had 2 cell phones made by LG and they were complete pieces of crap, but the monitors are better than sex :cool:

Check out this calibration page:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

You might need to adjust clock and phase settings if you are using VGA and not DVI.

Hi

I just got the 2209WA and I have pretty bad flickering - wavy distortion - using VGA (I dont have DVI) I tested it on other PC VGA too that one doesnt have DVI either. I m using eizo monitor test software and there I can see clearly flickering when I am seeing the grey test pictures. My 4 years old toshiba laptop passes flickering test easilly...

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Windows-Widgets/System-Utilities/Eizo-MonitorTest.shtml

Has anyone experienced such an issue? It might be the VGA. Even if it is that is pretty bad it should be flawless with VGA not only DVI....IMO

Any help would be appreciated!

Dell's business model is to use the cheapest possible parts in their products, thus undercutting the competition. They manufacture their products using cheap junk electronics and sell hefty priced service plans because they KNOW the product is highly likely to fail.

I get occasional calls from friends and family to service their Dell desktops/laptops which suffer from hardware failure very often after only a year of ownership and barely being used (dead HD, mobo, video cards very common). I have an IBM thinkpad from 1995 that still boots to OS and works fine, heavy as a cinder block but you can tell it's quality stuff. :cool:

I'm all for people not buying this monitor, if I have to replace it in 3 years (for free still) there will still be some leftover and they won't try to push some random 2012 TN on me :p

Aren't the deep blacks effin' nice in games? I honestly think component probably provides just as clear a signal as HDMI, so if it's easier to hook up audio with component (it certainly is for me), I'd go that route.

You should always use a digital connection with an LCD, if available.

Ello, am i strange or this monitor has somewhat thicker "lines" between pixels?
Its hard to explain but, when im looking to white background, i see thousands of tiny black dots, which are on other monitors less noticeable..:confused:

does anyone notice any color uniformity issues?

Like on a white or grey background i noticed that the right side is slightly darker then the left side of the screen. Does anyone else encounter this issue?

Back