Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Here they are, at the moment crammed onto a 46" desk. I ordered three of the Monoprice single desk edge mounts, which are due next week. (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5402&seq=1&format=2)

2209wax3sm.jpg

How much was each monitor? Did you get in on one of those ~$200 2209WA deals? :D
I got them after the $200 deal. Ordered on Aug. 7th for $223 shipped + tax, using a Dell small business 20% off coupon. More details are on the previous page.

I got them after the $200 deal. Ordered on Aug. 7th for $223 shipped + tax, using a Dell small business 20% off coupon. More details are on the previous page.

Looks sexy as hell. You mind snapping a picture of what they look when oriented portrait, normal, then portrait again? Thinking about order 3x of these, but 3 of these in normal orientation seems too wide for me.

That setup looks pretty sweet. I ordered one for myself this morning from Dell. They give a September 25th ship date. When I checked last week they were saying end of October, so hopefully it comes soon.

Looks sexy as hell. You mind snapping a picture of what they look when oriented portrait, normal, then portrait again? Thinking about order 3x of these, but 3 of these in normal orientation seems too wide for me.
Unfortunately, considering my cramped quarters it took me a good bit of tinkering to align the bezels, so I don't want to mess with it again -- but I can give you the dimensions of the triple screen setup:

Each monitor is 20" wide.

My current end-to-end setup takes 58" of desktop space, due to the slight angles of the two outer monitors. [Remember, if you use LCD mounts, that only needs to be free "airspace"]

Vertically, they're 13 1/8", so in portrait position they'd take up less than 40" of space.

Hope that helps. :)

Hey everyone,
I've recently purchased this monitor but I'm having some problems regarding calibration.
First of all, I received the 2209WAf A01 China model, manufacture date July 2009.
Everything was very bright at first, I did lots of reading and changed brightness to 0 and lowered contrast. It still looked bright, so I lowered contrast to 50, then it was ok, but the colors still looked bright and unnatural.
Luckily, I found e10's profile from this thread. I used his settings (brightness 0 contrast 74 RGB 99/98/100), and when I applied the profile, everything looked perfect and easy on the eyes again, and natural.
Unfortunately, a day later I discovered a stuck pixel on the monitor. I replaced it a day after purchasing and received a new one. This one is also 2209WAf A01 China, but manufacture date was June 2009 this time, not July.
Anyway, I used the same settings (brightness 0 contrast 74 RGB 99/98/100) and e10's profile again, but it did not look the same way it looked on the first one I got. There still seems to be some gamma problem or something else, bright colors appear brighter than they should, and I can't seem to get it to be good again.
I found 2-3 other profiles using Google, but still e10's profile is the closest to perfect on this new one I got. I'd appreciate any suggestions or even profiles/settings to try.
Thanks in Advance!

* EDIT:
In this white saturation test - http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php, no matter what I do, I can't see boxes 253 and 254. If I try really hard, I can see 251 and 252 (I even tried lowering both brightness and contrast to 0 and go up slightly, only 200 to 250 are always visible pretty much clearly, 251/252 are barely visible and sometimes invisible depends on settings, and 253 and 254 are always invisible

Last edited:
I live in Canada so if I were to use the US direct link to order one of the 2209wa does anyone know if it would work, or would they just say 'sorry you need to use the Dell Canadian site'?
does anyone know if there is a dell Canadian direct link?
thank you.

Hey everyone,
I've recently purchased this monitor but I'm having some problems regarding calibration.
First of all, I received the 2209WAf A01 China model, manufacture date July 2009.
Everything was very bright at first, I did lots of reading and changed brightness to 0 and lowered contrast. It still looked bright, so I lowered contrast to 50, then it was ok, but the colors still looked bright and unnatural.
Luckily, I found e10's profile from this thread. I used his settings (brightness 0 contrast 74 RGB 99/98/100), and when I applied the profile, everything looked perfect and easy on the eyes again, and natural.
Unfortunately, a day later I discovered a stuck pixel on the monitor. I replaced it a day after purchasing and received a new one. This one is also 2209WAf A01 China, but manufacture date was June 2009 this time, not July.
Anyway, I used the same settings (brightness 0 contrast 74 RGB 99/98/100) and e10's profile again, but it did not look the same way it looked on the first one I got. There still seems to be some gamma problem or something else, bright colors appear brighter than they should, and I can't seem to get it to be good again.
I found 2-3 other profiles using Google, but still e10's profile is the closest to perfect on this new one I got. I'd appreciate any suggestions or even profiles/settings to try.
Thanks in Advance!

* EDIT:
In this white saturation test - http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php, no matter what I do, I can't see boxes 253 and 254. If I try really hard, I can see 251 and 252 (I even tried lowering both brightness and contrast to 0 and go up slightly, only 200 to 250 are always visible pretty much clearly, 251/252 are barely visible and sometimes invisible depends on settings, and 253 and 254 are always invisible

This can happen as every panel has some difference in tuning/visuals. I wouldn't worry about the last two boxes too much. Use this test as a guideline more than anything. Try tweaking the contrast down on the screen a few steps and they might reappear, but it isn't a big deal unless it's causing you to notice other colors being horribly off.

Just got my 2 2209wa's Saturday, beautiful, but wow, do they generate some heat. :eek:

Lowering the brightness helps. These monitors generate a bit more heat than equivalent 22" TN screens, but I found going below brightness of 30 reduced it on mine.

I now have an estimated delivery date on my order. I ordered on the 21st and the supposed delivery date is the 2nd of September.

Would anyone be able to help me with this? How do you make an order from the Dell business site? When you have to enter the billing address it says enter the address that is on file with Dell for your business. I'm obviously not a business owner in the US but I'd still like to get my hands on one of these.

Any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, considering my cramped quarters it took me a good bit of tinkering to align the bezels, so I don't want to mess with it again -- but I can give you the dimensions of the triple screen setup:

Each monitor is 20" wide.

My current end-to-end setup takes 58" of desktop space, due to the slight angles of the two outer monitors. [Remember, if you use LCD mounts, that only needs to be free "airspace"]

Vertically, they're 13 1/8", so in portrait position they'd take up less than 40" of space.

Hope that helps. :)

What hardware or software are you using to span the display over 3 monitors. Is it a Triplehead device?
You had no dead/stuck pixels on all 3 monitors? That's pretty amazing fortune.

Dell customer service seems to be a joke in Australia. They won't ring you back, won't respond to emails, won't investigate for you and certainly will never do as they've assured. This whirlpool comment made me smile.

This e-mail is to inform you that your order is now ready to be sent out from our factory to the shipment address and we aim to deliver on or before 02-Sep-2009.

So my order has gone from acknowledged>confirmed>currently being kicked around the office towards their mailing department.

That setup looks pretty sweet. I ordered one for myself this morning from Dell. They give a September 25th ship date. When I checked last week they were saying end of October, so hopefully it comes soon.

I really don't want it to seem like I'm spamming, but I'm trying to get in an order for one of these before the coupon stops working and/or they're out of stock.

I tried to call in and make the order but I was told that I need to have a Small Business account with them to shop from the SM section.

I see other people getting through all the time and I'd just like some help on how I can make the purchase. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

It's a little more complicated for me. I'm out side of the US, but I have a mailbox in the US where I can purchase stuff online and ship to. It's not a PO box or anything like that.

So this bit about a business name is really making things complicated for me and I can't think of a way to get it to work out. I can set my business' name to the name of the mailbox company, but would the credit card that I'm using (issued outside the US) need to be affiliated with that company?

AFAIK, you can just make up any old company name and put your address and everything will work fine. At least that's how I ordered something from this before. They don't actually go down to the government offices and look up your business tax ID or whatever the last time I ordered.

AFAIK, you can just make up any old company name and put your address and everything will work fine. At least that's how I ordered something from this before. They don't actually go down to the government offices and look up your business tax ID or whatever the last time I ordered.
That's how it works -- order through their webpage, invent a nice company name. and use your shipping address. ;)

I've had this unit for about 6 months and have mix feelings. I've never been overjoyed with the colours but perhaps I'm just not calibrating it correctly. I tried downloading the ic profile; and using the settings in this thread (prehaps the two don't mix). It seems to have a red tint on the startup screen that I just can't quite remove; white is white so that's not the problem; so maybe the ?saturation or hue ? is off ?

I just tried command and conq red alert 3 last night; the init cut scene seemed good (where they zap einstein; but when they show the cut in from the base after zapping the prof; her image is washed out.
--
I was much happier with the HP LP2065; cept that it had horrible bleeding in one corner (only tried a sample of one). I also like my rather old dell 19' lcd (from 2005 or 2004); but I do not use that monitor for gaming. The dell 2001FP I had died (I first tired the HP as a replacement and then this monitor). I thought the HP was much better (I had one of the unlucky 2001Fp that had a suck panel; my sister's 2001fp is a bit nicer).

Anyways, I'm will to tweak the settings further but something just seems out of whack with this monitor. Btw the colours seem ok when watching blu-ray dvd like babel; but for the windows startup screen the clouds have a reddish tint that seem unnatural.

I've had this unit for about 6 months and have mix feelings. I've never been overjoyed with the colours but perhaps I'm just not calibrating it correctly. I tried downloading the ic profile; and using the settings in this thread (prehaps the two don't mix). It seems to have a red tint on the startup screen that I just can't quite remove; white is white so that's not the problem; so maybe the ?saturation or hue ? is off ?

I just tried command and conq red alert 3 last night; the init cut scene seemed good (where they zap einstein; but when they show the cut in from the base after zapping the prof; her image is washed out.
--
I was much happier with the HP LP2065; cept that it had horrible bleeding in one corner (only tried a sample of one). I also like my rather old dell 19' lcd (from 2005 or 2004); but I do not use that monitor for gaming. The dell 2001FP I had died (I first tired the HP as a replacement and then this monitor). I thought the HP was much better (I had one of the unlucky 2001Fp that had a suck panel; my sister's 2001fp is a bit nicer).

Anyways, I'm will to tweak the settings further but something just seems out of whack with this monitor. Btw the colours seem ok when watching blu-ray dvd like babel; but for the windows startup screen the clouds have a reddish tint that seem unnatural.

sell me yours then.

this sucks, you cant get this damn thing in canada. and is their any news on the 2209wa "upgrade" someone talked about a few weeks ago?

Is there a way to get coupons to work in the outlet store? Without them the refurb monitor is still $200 + tax, almost as much as a new one. How does the warranty compare? The site says "same as new" warranty support, with little more info. Does that provide the same pixel policy for monitors?

So this bit about a business name is really making things complicated for me and I can't think of a way to get it to work out. I can set my business' name to the name of the mailbox company, but would the credit card that I'm using (issued outside the US) need to be affiliated with that company?

I signed up for a Dell Small Business account a couple of months ago under my name. I did not use a business name (I believe I just typed in my name in the company name field), and I used my personal credit card. I'm not sure how they'll react to a credit card issued by a bank outside the U.S.

Is there a way to get coupons to work in the outlet store? Without them the refurb monitor is still $200 + tax, almost as much as a new one. How does the warranty compare? The site says "same as new" warranty support, with little more info. Does that provide the same pixel policy for monitors?

Same pixel policy, but the warranty is only 90 days and cannot be extended. With that kind of deal, an Outlet monitor is not a good buy. No way to extend it either.

The 27-30" monitors are the only ones with 3 year warranties.

Anyone with a 9/24/09 ship date know of any progress on their orders? I'm getting anxious. I wasn't able to get any real answers from Dell.

Ordered mine on 8/13 and it shipped 8/19. The expected date was 10/21 when I first ordered till I got the surprise shipment notification.

I placed an order for one on 8/12 when they were all sold out and got an estimated delivery date of 10/21, but it shipped out today and is set to deliver tomorrow! :)

Back