Just built a new computer, need a game to impress myself.

Max crysis warhead.

Crysis2009-05-2608-40-24-45.jpg

Crysis2009-05-2608-38-47-88.jpg

Last edited:
Just got crysis maximum edition-- 3 games for 39.99---

Crysis / crysis warhead / crysis wars

Gonna give it a go!

Thanks for the information

Big Al

Far Cry 2 and Grid are very impressive with the AA / AF maxed out.

Thing about Crysis is there are many who have probably spent thousands trying to max that game out. A GTX285 tri sli setup can probably max it out, but you still won't be able to get a smooth 60fps throughout the whole game, especially at 1920x1200 and up, you'll probably get 30-40 fps in many parts of the game. It'd be smart to just wait for the next gen cards. I told myself my next rig will be able to max out crysis at 1920x1200 and play it at a constant 60fps. If it can't, then it's not worth upgrading. So I'll probably be waitng a good 2 years before I build another rig.

Far Cry 2 and Grid are very impressive with the AA / AF maxed out.

Thing about Crysis is there are many who have probably spent thousands trying to max that game out. A GTX285 tri sli setup can probably max it out, but you still won't be able to get a smooth 60fps throughout the whole game, especially at 1920x1200 and up, you'll probably get 30-40 fps in many parts of the game. It'd be smart to just wait for the next gen cards. I told myself my next rig will be able to max out crysis at 1920x1200 and play it at a constant 60fps. If it can't, then it's not worth upgrading. So I'll probably be waitng a good 2 years before I build another rig.
you dont need 60fps in Crysis for it to feel smooth. a single gtx285 can easily handle it at 1920 with a DX9 modified config that will look as good and play better than the very high settings. in fact even my 192sp gtx260 can play Warhead on custom enthusiast(very high) settings at 1920.

This is one of the main reasons I've given up on PC gaming.

I pop into this thread wanting to see what kind of games people would mention for a new computer. The games you people are posting are a joke. Crysis, really? How old is Crysis WH now? AC... Burnout Paradise? All of these are olllld games.

Although my console doesn't get as high res as your PC's, at least I get interesting new releases Monthly. In fact, there are more games out right now than my wallet can support. PC gaming is dead to me now.

This is one of the main reasons I've given up on PC gaming.

I pop into this thread wanting to see what kind of games people would mention for a new computer. The games you people are posting are a joke. Crysis, really? How old is Crysis WH now? AC... Burnout Paradise? All of these are olllld games.

Although my console doesn't get as high res as your PC's, at least I get interesting new releases Monthly. In fact, there are more games out right now than my wallet can support. PC gaming is dead to me now.

I agree. I made a similar post in this thread...
"Well of course you spend more on consoles in the long run due to the cost of games... not only do they cost more per game, but there are also MORE of them. It seems like PC games have really slowed down in the past couple years... compared to earlier at least. More 'great games' of past have migrated to being only console ports, with PC's as an afterthought. Sure, there are PC only titles, but there are 3x as many console only titles. I hate to add fuel to that old debate about "if PC gaming is dying or not", but it seems to me that it really is... fewer titles per year for sure. I think that is what has hurt PC sales as of recent... sure, there are always those few games that everyone plays in a certain category (how many race sim fans have GRID... how many FPS fans have Call of Duty or Unreal... how many RTS fans have Supreme Commander?), but it seems that other than these main franchises, very little 'new blood' is coming out. Here I have this new rig, and the only 'NEW' thing I can play on it is Far Cry 2?!?!?! WTF?!?!? I know the PC gaming market is in a rut when 'Left4Dead' gets GOTY... that game is far from what past GOTY examples are. You wanna know what games have occupied the most time on my new rig? Call of Duty4 & 5 are collecting dust because after being a clan admin, I realize how many people are running hacks like artificial aiming radar... and I think Punkbuster/Activisions method of dealing with it is a total scam to sell more games w/o actually solving the problem... so that killed that game for me. So I went back to Team Fortress 2... a classic thats still the best, but hardly a 'stress test' for an i7. Dawn of War 2 is the only real challenge, but I dont like it as much as the original DoW... I dont like all the RPG with my RTS. I have HAWX, but that gets boring fast once the main campaign and unlocks are all over... so Im actually playing World of Goo (its tits+), and Rainbow 6 Vegas 2!!! Hardly much of a challenge for an i7! I sure hope Modern Warfare 2 kicks ass (and Activision solves the hacker problems w/o outsourcing it to Punkbuster where 70% of their global bans are for hardware issues!) I sure hope Starcraft 2 does better, as well as BF1943... or I dont know what I built this thing for... Im thinking about reinstalling Battlefield 2 for f's sake... now that's pathetic! Like I said, L4D gets GOTY... I think we all know something is wrong here!!!"

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1424051&page=3

I hope Starcraft 2 looks good, Battlefield 1943, and Modern Warfare 2 have their work cut out for them... or else I think PC gaming really might be hitting a dead-end. Well... thats where mods come in...lol.

you dont need 60fps in Crysis for it to feel smooth. a single gtx285 can easily handle it at 1920 with a DX9 modified config that will look as good and play better than the very high settings. in fact even my 192sp gtx260 can play Warhead on custom enthusiast(very high) settings at 1920.

I'll have to second this. Prior to upgrading, i was using a 7800GTX and even with the frame rate dropping, the controls stayed responsive. This is a very good engine.

@undertheradar
The Crysis rig is under $800 if you don't include the monitor.

If a game comes out that i can't max the settings on in this rig and keep it playable, i'll probably make another rig that can run it with all the features set at highest and still keep it under $800.00, then name the rig after that.

The thing is, there's been no game since then that has stressed this rig more than Crysis and Assassins Creed. Some of the new games i've gotten are console ports (TombRaider, Prince of Persia, etc.), and they don't come anywhere near stressing this rig like those two. Consoles are holding back PC gaming it seems. Which you'll probably be happy for.

Last edited:
@undertheradar
The Crysis rig is under $800 if you don't include the monitor.

If a game comes out that i can't max the settings on in this rig and keep it playable, i'll probably make another rig that can run it with all the features set at highest and still keep it under $800.00, then name the rig after that.

The thing is, there's been no game since then that has stressed this rig more than Crysis and Assassins Creed. Some of the new games i've gotten are console ports (TombRaider, Prince of Persia, etc.), and they don't come anywhere near stressing this rig like those two. Consoles are holding back PC gaming it seems. Which you'll probably be happy for.
Assassins Creed was demanding? Clear Sky in DX10 is much more demanding than Crysis.

Assassins Creed was demanding? Clear Sky in DX10 is much more demanding than Crysis.

On my old 7800GTX yes. Framerate was decent when you're moving around, but the controls tended to get sluggish in a swordfight. 9800GT handled the game smoothly and haven't had any other game slow down on me since.

Not too familiar with Clearsky. But from what you've said. Clear Sky is more demanding than Crysis? Yet Crysis is still considered the better looking of the two according to the forums. I think it's not so much as demanding, but more on it being considerably less efficient.

On my old 7800GTX yes. Framerate was decent when you're moving around, but the controls tended to get sluggish in a swordfight. 9800GT handled the game smoothly and haven't had any other game slow down on me since.

Not too familiar with Clearsky. But from what you've said. Clear Sky is more demanding than Crysis? Yet Crysis is still considered the better looking of the two according to the forums. I think it's not so much as demanding, but more on it being considerably less efficient.
Clear Sky can look quite good in some areas and will blow Crysis away on any of the inside environments. yeah Clear Sky framerate tanks in many spots on DX10 max settings though and does seem to indicate it wasnt properly optimized.

undertheradar I agree with you pretty much. I'm not going to get into the debate over which is more expensive, I've already been in several of those.

I wasn't trying to derail the thread or flame, more upset that the PC section doesn't have more to offer. Yet at the same time, loven that my console is getting back to back great hits.

Please, carry on.

Oh yeah, no no... didnt mean to start a debate or anything... it just seems that PC games have really been getting killed as of recent. I should go pick up a PCgamer mag and see what could dig up to fill it with w/o anything real to report...lol.

Back