Japan Making Its Last VCR This Month

Hd dvd haha.
I have 3 HD-DVD drives still, although this is an older pic showing the 2 Xbox ones,
htpc-2009.jpg

I had one on my PC but installed an LG BD/HD-DVD combo drive in it and put the Xbox HD-DVD back in the box and stuck it in the closet.

I used the LG the other day to install 10 on my test machine,
IMG_0440.JPG

Tossed all my VHS tapes some years back... and yeah even the ones where girls were silly enough to let me video tape ;) I haven't had a working VCR for easily 15 years, figure it's not worth $5 at a garage sale to spank to some old memories so out it went.

Noooo! Those are precious memories that need to be uploaded to the internet for all the world to spank to.

Still have my JVC SVHS machine. As well as a laserdisk player, video switcher, stand alone DVD player, etc. Had quite the setup back in the day. I "inherited" a professional deck (one of those AG-1980's that was in the editing wall pics) from work, because they were going to throw it away. Don't even know if it works. Should, it was never used, just powered on and left to sit.

But i went digital editing (while i was still into that) because i didn't have the money to do an A/B roll deck editing solution. Still have all of my NLE capture stuff, but getting it to work would be painful. No driver support, companies all went out of business.

But in any case, if i was going to get back into it, i would just by a professional setup and be done with it. Avid is still around, right?

Still have my JVC SVHS machine. As well as a laserdisk player, video switcher, stand alone DVD player, etc. Had quite the setup back in the day. I "inherited" a professional deck (one of those AG-1980's that was in the editing wall pics) from work, because they were going to throw it away. Don't even know if it works. Should, it was never used, just powered on and left to sit.

But i went digital editing (while i was still into that) because i didn't have the money to do an A/B roll deck editing solution. Still have all of my NLE capture stuff, but getting it to work would be painful. No driver support, companies all went out of business.

But in any case, if i was going to get back into it, i would just by a professional setup and be done with it. Avid is still around, right?

I had a rack of all kinds of stuff when I was younger.
All of this stuff is long gone. All I use now is an AVR, Apple TV4, and a Bluray player.
I still have some laserdiscs but no player to play them, all of my Pioneer double sided players failed.

rack.jpg

I still have the gold looking JVC HR-S6700u SVHS deck in the pic, but it failed. It was my first SVHS deck and I can't seem to get myself to toss it.

^^^ "I think I am picking up some feedback. Move that third one from the second deck down up two places."

I have a JVC 6-head with jog dial and auto tracking correction. Hasn't been hooked up and used for probably 15-16 years, but it'll probably still work fine...If I had any cassettes left to put in it. Got replaced by a $99-special Samsung DVD player and the first two DVDs I ever bought: Spies Like Us and The Green Mile.

Still have a ton of tapes... and quite a few are out of print and never made it to DVD :p need to transfer them to digital somehow

I have to get them from eBay or some other second hand source. I need SVHS since I have a lot of footage recorded on SVHS. The SQPB that some VHS decks have will play an SVHS tape but at only 240 lines of resolution.

I was doing video production work from 1993 till 2014, I stopped in 2014 when my hips went out on me, couldn't shoot anymore.

these were our analog edit suites back in 99 or so, right before we went non-linear,
View attachment 5663View attachment 5662

Ha! Seeing that setup brings back memories.
I worked for a guy that did hunting video as a side line and he had a setup similar. Everything mounted in the wall. He said he was impressive to clients.
I always thought it was bizarre because most of the gear was made for rack mount and that is the way I used it.

I worked for a Panasonic Broadcast dealer in the 90s. Believe it was '94 to '97.
The most impressive equipment was the Panasonic MII gear. Very expensive though.
This was the time DV cameras hit the market with the FIREWIRE interface and when DV capture cards came out so we started getting into selling NLE system. I wrote the spec and built their first systems.
The problem is they signed up with FAST electronics and their DV Master capture board which had problems. It was NOT the one I recommend. Canopus and the DV Rex was a much better system.
The FAST system was a European port; but for some reason the port to NTSC was crap; the drivers crashed constantly usually right in the middle of captures. They had a trade show go bad because of this issue.
I tried to explain to the owners what the problem was but they knew nothing about computers. FAST didn't have a fix for the crashing issue so they pointed the finger at us.
It was not long I parted ways with them. I went in the office equipment business which was for the best; made a lot more money fixing laser printers, plotters, and shuttle matrix printers.

Picked one up at Goodwill for five bucks, to watch some old Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, and other VHS tapes I have that still haven't been released on DVD or later formats. Clinging like a motherfucker.

I wish they would have made like an old school commemorative VCR for the finale. Like an all metal version with nixie tubes for the digital read out or maybe all plastic so it was super light and super small.

Ha! Seeing that setup brings back memories.
I worked for a guy that did hunting video as a side line and he had a setup similar. Everything mounted in the wall. He said he was impressive to clients.
I always thought it was bizarre because most of the gear was made for rack mount and that is the way I used it.

I worked for a Panasonic Broadcast dealer in the 90s. Believe it was '94 to '97.
The most impressive equipment was the Panasonic MII gear. Very expensive though.
This was the time DV cameras hit the market with the FIREWIRE interface and when DV capture cards came out so we started getting into selling NLE system. I wrote the spec and built their first systems.
The problem is they signed up with FAST electronics and their DV Master capture board which had problems. It was NOT the one I recommend. Canopus and the DV Rex was a much better system.
The FAST system was a European port; but for some reason the port to NTSC was crap; the drivers crashed constantly usually right in the middle of captures. They had a trade show go bad because of this issue.
I tried to explain to the owners what the problem was but they knew nothing about computers. FAST didn't have a fix for the crashing issue so they pointed the finger at us.
It was not long I parted ways with them. I went in the office equipment business which was for the best; made a lot more money fixing laser printers, plotters, and shuttle matrix printers.

I remember the FAST system as well as the Canopus systems, those were interesting days when NLE systems started to come out and be somewhat affordable to the mainstream.
The first system I worked with was the Newtek Flyer, which at $10K for system with no drives, was the cheapest at the time. We used to go to this auction type website called OnSale.com and buy 4.5GB IBM SCSI drives
to use with the Flyer. That site was interesting as you paid what you offered for the item if there was enough product available. Example, if there was 100 of the item up for sale, and you bid $50 and someone bid $100, when the auction ended and there was enough product, you paid $50 for it while the other person paid $100.
I think we were paying $300-400 for each of the IBM drives from OnSale.com. At one point my friend needed a 9GB SCSI drive and bought a Seagate Barracuda for $2K!!!.
Those were some interesting times.

Picked one up at Goodwill for five bucks, to watch some old Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, and other VHS tapes I have that still haven't been released on DVD or later formats. Clinging like a motherfucker.
I found out about Red Dwarf maybe 5 years ago and it's now one of my favorite shows. I'll watch the entire show at least once a year. They have 10 seasons of the show, the last season was 3 episodes which was basically one long episode.

I just threw out a few weeks ago the last VCR we had. It was sitting in the back of the closet with some other junk and was broken. Surprised we had it that long because I don't think it was used for years.

I have several personal tapes I still need to convert to digital format. Some of family affairs, some old band performance video, others of a more . . . ah . . . intimate nature. I've been too lazy to be arsed with it of the past, say, fifteen years.

And really, who will want all that beyond myself? None of us are cared about beyond a couple of generations downstream. We're just another of the billions who have become one with the dirt. I do not imagine any future human running across my digital archive will give a damn.

Not everyone jettisons equipment that still works. Pretty much everyone I know owns one....most blinking 12:00 because they don't have digital tuners, so they can't time shift easily anymore. They use them to play their VHS tapes. Lots of people bought them years ago, and simply didn't want to repurchase a few hundred movies. Many older people still determine the worth of movies and TV shows by the plot, not the ability to count blades of grass or how many things explode. Not to mention the stuff that has never been made on DVD or Bluray.

Back