Intel X25-V (40GB) vs OCZ Vertex (30GB)

rosh

Limp Gawd
Im looking for a SSD below $150 as my boot drive and im stuck with these two models (any other better model under $150 ??)

Im using Windows XP (no win 7)
The capacity 40G or 30G is fine.

Specs show OCZ is faster but with Trim i dont know which one is better.
Which one is good for me?

vertex is well-known for dying without any reason. avoid it.

Really like it happens to the OCZs more than any other brand?:rolleyes: proof or GTFO

Also people have all kinds of computer parts die without any reason. Its a fact of life.:eek:

Im looking for a SSD below $150 as my boot drive and im stuck with these two models (any other better model under $150 ??)

Im using Windows XP (no win 7)
The capacity 40G or 30G is fine.

Specs show OCZ is faster but with Trim i dont know which one is better.
Which one is good for me?

Since you are using XP I would get the Vertex because it has a GC firmware (similar to TRIM) that will work with non-TRIM supported OS's like XP.

As nitrobass has stated, OCZ's Garbage Collection will make it the better pick, since you'll still receive the general benefits of TRIM without having to upgrade to Windows 7. My personal drive uses the same controller chip, the Indilinx Barefoot, and I can tell you that these drives are fast as hell in real world usage scenarios. They make your general Windows usage that much more enjoyable.

Thanks for inputs,

Actually i right now i have a vertex 30GB (1.4v) and any of the GC software (including wiper.exe) stuff didnt work. I have comparably old motheboard and it has old SATA I i guess.

Im having disk error problem sometimes with the vertex. So trying to return it and have an Intel one, Becaue i head that intel has a tool for windowsXP/Visa for manual trim (ssd toolbox or whatever).

Any idea?

How do you know it didnt work? Did you get an error msg?
Also do you have the correct firmware? There are two versions of v1.4. One is for GC and the other is for TRIM.

What type of disk errors? if its a sequential read/write speed that is going to be because of your SATA controller.

Since you are using XP I would get the Vertex because it has a GC firmware (similar to TRIM) that will work with non-TRIM supported OS's like XP.

Eh, I believe there's tools available for either drive to force a TRIM command manually (under WinXP), just gotta set it on a schedule and have it run daily or weekly or something like that. Regardless, I'd still give the nod to the OCZ drive if you're using this as the boot drive on a desktop, even if you're not writing lots of data to it the higher sequential write speed is still nicer to have than the extra 10GB, and those are just about the only major differences between both drives.

The Intel does perform slightly better as an OS drive (faster random writes), and it is a larger drive for roughly the same amount of cash tho... So if you plan to use it on a laptop where external storage isn't as handy I'd go with Intel instead. I'm getting a 40GB X25-V this week for my netbook, the slow sequential writes doesn't concern me as much as having that extra lil' bit of space.

I'd go with the Intel. 10 more Gb's.

Intel Toolbox works fine with WinXP (I'm using on my 80Gb scheduled daily).

And its Random read/write performance is better as your main OS drive.

Back