Installing OS over Onboard LAN boot ROM?

ivandurago

[H]ard|Gawd
*Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, none of them seemd quite right, and thought I would post this here as it is a bios option. Mods feel free to move if need be*

My friend recently gave me his old Spartan z8000 (featured in this article: http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/notebooks/spartan_z8000/ ).

The reason he gave me this laptop is that the dvd drive will not read anything and the OS is corrupted (and the screen is nearly falling off :p )

I was considering purchasing a new drive for it for ~$35, but before I did so, I was wondering if it was possible to reinstall an OS through the Onboard LAN Boot ROM?

If it is possible to install a OS over my network, how would I go about doing so? Would it be much easier just to purchase a new dvd drive and reinstall that way?

I would appreciate any advice, as I know nothing about this subject :confused:

Last edited:
I googled as much as I could about this subject, and used the search function on these boards w/o any luck.

Would really appreciate any advice/help anyone can offer.

You can boot from a floppy disk and pull a image.

or you can set up a MS RIS server or Windows deployment server and image.

Your best bet would probably be RIS

You can boot from a floppy disk and pull a image.

or you can set up a MS RIS server or Windows deployment server and image.

Your best bet would probably be RIS

I think the MS RIS server option may be over my head, I just browsed about it over lunch, maybe after work I can try and figure it out.

I feel like a ~$30 dvd drive replacement might be the easiest answer

Or is it possible to use an external HDD or zipdrive to install off of?

Only if the computer will boot off of one of those devices. Often older components won't boot off of anything USB.

I had this same issue with an old Dell laptop. I ended up taking the HDD out, installing win98 on it via a different computer and then swapping the hard drive back in. Seemed to work ok.

Back