i7 overclock failure, BSOD win7

ideviouz

Gawd
so something just went completely haywire

i was stress stability testing my overclock at 4ghz using Prime

i7 920 3849B batch and everything was going great..
1+ hour no failures, nothing..

then it just blue screened and rebooted itself.
And now when I attempt to run Prime, it will blue screen almost instantly (like 1-2 minutes in) - 3 failures so far

are my settings too low?

I have it set at 1.25v in the bios... most people with this batch are running a lot lower vcore.
most other settings should be okay... it was a prime blend test... is it really too little volts? or could it be something else entirely? could the RAM have decided to go bad? could it be the motherboard? first time seeing a blue screen on win7 and with the i7 processors, kinda depressing.

qpi 1.35
pll 1.8
ram 1.65

I can't seem to access the .dmp file and at the moment the computer isn't connected to the internet... which for some reason won't let me access the xml file

anyone have any suggestions? any help would be appreciated... thanks in advance

Single it out to small ffts to test the proc itself. Blend is overall nb, ram, cpu etc. Also, make sure you're running full 64 bit edition of p95.

Try lowering your "uncore" freq (change multiplier). Don't be afraid of more volts - I have my i7-920 at 1.4 v for 4.2 ghz.

BSODs are normally indicative of the CPU failing. You error out of your stress test with memory issues.

Try this for your overclocking steps: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=324998

Are you monitoring temps. Maybe your CPU heated up to a point where it became unstable. After your reboot it was still hot thus the instability.

Post your profile in the 930 OC'ing thread when you have a chance.

1.25v set in bios is pretty a pretty low voltage to be running 4 ghz at, especially after vdroop. I would raise it up around 1.3v or so and test stability from there. If it seems stable after some stress testing, go back and drop the vcore down a notch until you find the lowest voltage you can use.

I am running my DO 920 stable at 3.9 ghz at 1.29v (~1.26v after vdroop).

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, will try some different settings later tonight.

It did well at 1.28125vcore... but that only ran at 45 mins, figured I could lower it and maybe jumped the gun at 1.25

using a noctua se1366 air cooler with a scythe 1600rpm flex and a silverstone fm122, roughly around 50% since it requires a fan controller

temps seem a bit high at around 80s under load, but they only touch 80~81 and then go back and forth.

uncore was only at 16x multiplier btw.

will update later tonight, thanks again everyone~

Your temperatures are a bit high, but you need more power captain. My C0 takes 1.45V to stay stable at 4.1 GHz.

Jack up the VCore and watch the temps like a hawk.

Also remember, unless you play Prime 95, your everyday applications will never stress the system like that, so even if your Prime hits 80C, everyday use will be in the 60s.

Last edited:
I'm on 1.26875 at the moment. Seems to be going ok so far. Temperatures are hitting 87 on some of the cores... not liking this one bit. I think I will reseat the heatsink and reapply thermal paste... got some MX-2 that came in... not liking this shin-etsu G751 at all.
Or maybe my case just needs better cooling :( Unmodified rocketfish may not be enough..

I went from using the old Thermalright Ultra 120 cooler fitted on with a seperate 1366 adapater on my 920 and was getting temps in the 85-90c+ in Prime95 and Linkpack. I went out and bought a Corsair H50 for only 60 bucks at CompUSA and my temps are idling at 45c and max load of Linkpack for around 75c. Not the best cooler around, but pretty unique, looks nice, and saves room from having a huge chunk of metal hanging from your motherboard, and its fairly cheap if you keep an eye on CompUSA specials.

Your temperatures are a bit high, but you need more power captain. My C0 takes 1.45V to stay stable at 4.1 GHz.

Jack up the VCore and watch the temps like a hawk.

Also remember, unless you play Prime 95, your everyday applications will never stress the system like that, so even if your Prime hits 80C, everyday use will be in the 60s.

if his temps are already high, how can you recommend jacking up the vcore even more? you should first suggest more adequate cooling.

im currently having heatsink attachment issues on this POS sink that i have, and my temps are just brushing up to 80 under prime95 load. folding puts temps up to 75. both of which i wouldnt be comfortable with running long term. i would try reinstalling your heatsink, which i am going to try yet again after work today.

Back