i3-2100T build vs i3-540 build [consolidate builds]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonSR4

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm trying to consolidate systems so I'd like your opinions on what I should do. I know it's a long read so thanks in advance!

As I have asked in a couple of other threads, I'm pretty sure the PSU in my brother's build is faulty but I haven't gotten around to check if it's actually the faulty part for sure. My brother's computer would get random freezes at any time and it's using the same parts that I used in a previous build but it's a different ST45SF (sold the previously used ST45SF when I bought the SG05BB). I was going to RMA the PSU but while I was working on the computer, I dropped it and one of the corners is dented :mad: I don't think Silverstone would RMA it since it has "physical damage" even though I'm pretty sure it was faulty before I dropped it.

My brother's current setup is as follows:
CPU: i3-540 with Samuel 17 HSF + S-Flex 800 rpm
MB: Gigabyte H55NUSB3
RAM: Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3
CASE: SG05BB
PSU: ST45SF (PSU that comes with SG05BB)
HD 01: Seagate Momentus xT 500 GB
HD 02: WD Caviar Black 640 GB (backup)
FRONT FAN: S-Flex 800 rpm

---
I was going to use the i3-2100T to build a mini server of sorts but I scrapped the plans, partially because I couldn't decide on a case and I wasn't as interested in building a computer anymore. So now these parts have been sitting around for at least a few months and I'd like to put whatever parts I can to use and sell off the rest. I do use the HD203WI to store my data. I do have original packaging for everything except for all HDs (not including the 2.5" HD).

The i3-2100T build parts are as follows:
CPU: i3-2100T (used) + stock hsf
MB: ASRock H67M-ITX (BNIB from RMA - still in Newegg packaging)
RAM: Avexir 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3
HD 01: Samsung HD203WI
HD 02: Samsung HD204UI
HD 03: WD Caviar Blue 2.5" 640 GB WD6400BPVT
FAN 01: NB PK-1 140mm
FAN 02: Enermax UCTB14 140mm
EXT ENCLOSURE: Thermaltake Max 5G Active Cooling Hard Drive Enclosure with Two 80mm Blue LED Fans USB 3.0 5.0Gbps ST0020U

--
My initial idea was to consolidate as follows:
CPU: i3-2100T (used) + stock hsf
MB: ASRock H67M-ITX (BNIB from RMA - still in Newegg packaging)
RAM: Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3
CASE: SG05BB
PSU: ST45SF (buy a new one)
HD 01: Seagate Momentus xT 500 GB
HD 02: Samsung HD204UI (backup/storage)
FRONT FAN: S-Flex 800 rpm or buy 140mm to 120mm adapter and use NB PK-1?

Sell the following:
CPU: i3-540
MB: Gigabyte H55NUSB3
HSF: Prolimatech Samuel 17 HSF
FAN: S-Flex 120mm 800 rpm
FAN: Enermax UCTB14 140mm
RAM: Avexir 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3

Upgrade parent's computers/laptops with the following:
Use WD Caviar Black 640 GB as primary HD and switch WD Caviar Blue 640 GB to secondary (currently used as primary with original WD 400 GB as secondary) in Dad's computer which is an old HP A6130N. Besides the WD Caviar Blue HD upgrade, I've upgraded his computer from Vista to Windows 7 and upgraded to G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) Ram and it feels a lot faster than it did before. Is it worth it do switch HD's from Blue to Black? Thanks!

Use WD 640 GB 2.5" and install windows 7 to upgrade stepmom's old HP/Compaq laptop which has 2 GB RAM (originally had 1 GB before I upgraded it), Windows Vista, and 120 GB HD. Is it worth it to do so? She downloads a lot of Korean TV dramas and I figure the WD would be faster and the bigger capacity would allow her to store more of her dramas.

Contact Tony Ou, our local forum Silverstone rep and see if he can help you RMA the PSU:
Tony Ou - SilverStone Tech Representative

As for your planned hard drive upgrades, not worth switching from Blue to Black as their performance is pretty similar. You would hardly notice the performance difference. However it is worth switching from that 120GB HDD to the WD 2.5" drive in your mom's PC as that 640GB drive should be faster than that 120GB drive.

Contact Tony Ou, our local forum Silverstone rep and see if he can help you RMA the PSU:
Tony Ou - SilverStone Tech Representative

As for your planned hard drive upgrades, not worth switching from Blue to Black as their performance is pretty similar. You would hardly notice the performance difference. However it is worth switching from that 120GB HDD to the WD 2.5" drive in your mom's PC as that 640GB drive should be faster than that 120GB drive.

Okay thanks. I figured the first hard drive upgrade path isn't worth much. I'll contact Tony Ou later and see what will happen. What do you think about which CPU/MB build to go with? Thanks!

Okay thanks. I figured the first hard drive upgrade path isn't worth much. I'll contact Tony Ou later and see what will happen. What do you think about which CPU/MB build to go with? Thanks!

The i3 2100T should be fater but you would have to go with the lower quality AsRock mobo. The i3-540 is slower but it has a higher quality motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back