I want to oc my RAM. Would like some tips.

Upgrayedd

Limp Gawd
I've got the DDR3 G.Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133Mhz.

All I've done is set XMP and the last timing from 2T to 1T.

I'd like to squeeze some more speed out of them but I don't know anything about timings and what they can/should be at certain frequencies.

I don't know if its easier to increase frequencies and loosen timings or the opposite.

I am doing this to seek more performance from a few games that are being RAM limited.

Thanks

look up the timings for that brand/model(or something close) but at the next speed up(prob 2400) and set those manually in the bios. up the voltage if its unstable, ram can take up to +10%v without a prob.

yes you could use the lower timings at 2666 if you can get that high. use those voltage settings too.
edit: and be prepared to reset the bios a few times, if it isn't auto.

Yours is rated:
2133 9-11-11-31 1.6v

Next step up is:
2400 10-12-12-31 1.65v

I would try that. You just have to loosen timings when you increase mhz.

After that is:
2666 12-13-13-35 1.65v

You can loosen timing further if it become unstable. What CPU do you have?

Yours is rated:
2133 9-11-11-31 1.6v

Next step up is:
2400 10-12-12-31 1.65v

I would try that. You just have to loosen timings when you increase mhz.

After that is:
2666 12-13-13-35 1.65v

You can loosen timing further if it become unstable. What CPU do you have?
4790K sitting in an ASUS Maximus VII Hero. Noctua NH-U14S. All inside a Fractal Define R4. Added two extra 140mm fans for airflow, 2intake 2exhaust.

You should be fine then. Older CPUs had worse memory controllers and were harder to get high memory clocks.

I would test tighter timings at your current speed... then try looser timings at faster speeds

Do actual test to determine what is actually faster

Sometimes you have to loosen ram timings so much to get stability at higher speeds that it negates any gains you might have got... other times you get lucky, tighten your times and increase the ram speeds all at the same time...

Back