How bad does GTX 470 heat up a room?

Siryak

Limp Gawd
Ok here is my situation. I realize that the 6870 is the new poster child right now, but I really want to keep my Physx support. I have been considering the GTX 460, but I plan on upgrading my monitor to a 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 next and I don't want to under power myself. What is making me skeptical about the GTX 470 is I have my computer in my bedroom. So how much more is this card going to heat up a room, because I like to play with my door closed.

Also I wish I new when the GTX 560/570 was coming out, because if I knew it was soon I would wait on them in a heartbeat.

Ok here is my situation. I realize that the 6870 is the new poster child right now, but I really want to keep my Physx support. I have been considering the GTX 460, but I plan on upgrading my monitor to a 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 next and I don't want to under power myself. What is making me skeptical about the GTX 470 is I have my computer in my bedroom. So how much more is this card going to heat up a room, because I like to play with my door closed.

Also I wish I new when the GTX 560/570 was coming out, because if I knew it was soon I would wait on them in a heartbeat.

They heat up a room pretty well. See the GTX 580 review and skip over to Kyle's part on the Temperatures. He gives the dimensions of his office and mentions that his Multi Card GTX 480 heats up his office by 10 degrees and it's a big office.

BTW is it not cold where you live, I could use a little extra heat in New Jersey right about now. It's cold (shivers)

The 460 1GB pretty much becomes a 470 or stronger when overclocked, or you could get the 6870 (470 performance out the door) and then run your 250GTS as the physx card.

They heat up a room pretty well. See the GTX 580 review and skip over to Kyle's part on the Temperatures. He gives the dimensions of his office and mentions that his Multi Card GTX 480 heats up his office by 10 degrees and it's a big office.
BTW is it not cold where you live, I could use a little extra heat in New Jersey right about now. It's cold (shivers)
Ya I'm in NJ too, and my 4870x2 keeps me warm if I fold on both cores :D

Try to get one with a non reference cooler, my Galaxy GC 470 is far cooler than my old 4850. Overclocked the 470 is basically a 480.

A single 470 GTX will not heat up a room. The difference between it and a lower consumption card is at worst is the same as a 60 watt lightbulb. At worst, the card will produce as much heat as 5 bulbs

A single 470 GTX will not heat up a room. The difference between it and a lower consumption card is at worst is the same as a 60 watt lightbulb. At worst, the card will produce as much heat as 5 bulbs
It probably makes the same or worst heat than my video card, which heats my fairly big room nicely while folding

The 460 1GB pretty much becomes a 470 or stronger when overclocked, or you could get the 6870 (470 performance out the door) and then run your 250GTS as the physx card.

I have a Gigabyte P55A-UD3 board, which only has 1 16x and the other is 4x I think. Would 4x be enough for the GTS 250? Also how well does this solution work?

Wouldn't running 2 cards defeat the purpose of not getting a GTX 470?

my 5850 warms up my room by a couple of degrees (celcius) when i have the door close so i would imagine the 470 would make it even warmer.

I have a Gigabyte P55A-UD3 board, which only has 1 16x and the other is 4x I think. Would 4x be enough for the GTS 250? Also how well does this solution work?

Wouldn't running 2 cards defeat the purpose of not getting a GTX 470?
It would be plenty for a 250GTS (a 5870 had very marginal bandwidth starvations with 4x)

It would kill some of the purpose I suppose, since you could sell the 250GTS to make the newer card cheaper.

It would be plenty for a 250GTS (a 5870 had very marginal bandwidth starvations with 4x)

It would kill some of the purpose I suppose, since you could sell the 250GTS to make the newer card cheaper.

Well what I was referring to is the heat output. I was reluctant to get a GTX 470 because of heat, but I am pretty sure 2 cards would put out more heat than 1 GTX 470.

That's not true. Here in new england, the only reason why I haven't turned on the heat in my appartment is because of my GTX470. If I leave my computer on for a few hours, it's at least 5-10 degrees hotter in my room apposed to the rest of the appartment, and it's not a small room either. I don't even have it overclocked.

my pc keep's my bedroom warm enough i have'nt had to turn My Heat on yet. And it's 40 at night here.

if you overclock the gtx460 enough to match the gtx470 then it will also consume about the same amount of power too.

Try to get one with a non reference cooler, my Galaxy GC 470 is far cooler than my old 4850. Overclocked the 470 is basically a 480.

Just a quick note a non reference cooler is not going to reduce the amount of heat a card dumps into a room. It will however heat up a room quicker. All the better heatsinks are doing is dissipating the heat generated more efficiently not reducing heat production.

That being said all video cards are probably going to do a good job heating up your room, you can judge how much fairly accurately by looking at load power reqs.

This is not true. In the morning when it's very chilly because someone else in he house lowered the AC so they could use a comforter (argghh) I turn on my PC with my 470 in it before leaving to go take a shower to I come back to a less chilly room. :p

Seriously though, it always affects the temperature in my room. No it doesn't turn it into a furnace but you do feel the temperature rising from when your PC was off and not running the GPU at 3D clocks.

my two overclocked and overvolted 470s dump heat into my coolant and it pours out of the top of my rad like a furnace vent when bench or play more gpu intense stuff... it's been fine in the fall/winter but in the summer there were days I just couldn't game cause of the heat and then extra heat from the cards.. 12x12 room with not a lot of ventilation..

Ok I have decided that Physx support is not all that important. With that in mind should I be going for the 6870? I want to stay with Nvidia, but AMD is tempting me to come over to the dark side. Any reason that I shouldn't?

Take into consideration that not all 470's are the same. Take a look at Brent's review on our Galaxy 470 GC with our custom board and cooler (in SLI).

http://hardocp.com/article/2010/05/10/galaxy_geforce_gtx_470_gc_sli_review/8

We see consistent 10+ degree differences between our card (overclocked) and cards that are reference designs with a sticker.

It does look like a good card, but the problem is it is still going to put out a lot of heat. Your card is just more efficient at moving it away from the card itself.(Which is good for the card, but will still result in me baking in my room)

Back