Hot chick explains the AMD APU

she is pretty cute.....didnt even listen :D had browser muted :D....but nice good info now that i watch it the 2nd time

Oh gods... I can see it now...

"The lady in the commercial said the APU is faster than the CPU + GPU. I don't want a new HD 7970, I want the APU because it's better." :rolleyes:

Oh gods... I can see it now...

"The lady in the commercial said the APU is faster than the CPU + GPU. I don't want a new HD 7970, I want the APU because it's better." :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Totally! Can anyone explain to me whats the difference between the APU and Intel's processors with incorperated gpu?

Have you ever tried to watch a DVD or play Quake Live on a netbook?:p The APU is faster at that shit. She said so.. :D

She's pretty good looking. But I don't see how that somehow makes the product better.

I have a feeling that airhead blond had no idea wtf she was talking about.
This. I felt the only time she understood what she was saying was when she said "but what does that mean?"

Please just keep this in netbooks only.
Thanks.

Since when was BestBuy so educated... oh wait they have a teleprompter.

:rolleyes: Totally! Can anyone explain to me whats the difference between the APU and Intel's processors with incorperated gpu?

Sure, I'll take a bang at it. With Intel's Solution you have two chips. One chip is your HD3000 or HD2900 or whatever graphics chipset. The other is your CPU.

They are located physically nearby but a bit apart from eachother. Generally, the processor accessing the GPU requires probably sending a call through the pci-express bus, waiting for a response, etc etc. Its a pretty standard solution that basically fairly well mimics what PCs with discrete graphics cards do. However, Intel's solution is really really slow.

For example, an old laptop I have with a 2600 or so HD chipset can play WoW at the lowest detail settings with all the sliders turned all the way down at 800x600 resolution at about 7-8 fps. (A slideshow, just barely fast enough to do herb/ore farming and perhaps dailies against enemies npcs fairly under-powered). I think as we can all mostly agree upon, WoW is not known for its graphical prowless. Games like L4D for example, which too is not known for its graphics prowless, will run at 3-4 fps. Entirely, not playable. Thus the general opinion you'll find among gamers is 'lawl. intel integrated graphics. flash game much?'

With AMD's solution, the CPU and GPU have been combined into one-tiny chip rather than two chips. So potentially, for the CPU to access the GPU, a much smaller distance needs to be travelled. Smaller distance = faster turn around times = better performance? We'll see :). AMD also can use its GPU technologys like perhaps 3D support, better shaders versus Intel, etc. The GPU does come with UMV HD video enhancements for example so potentially it might have 3D support for 3D movie playback on the go.

One advantage at the moment is supposibly according to AMD, when rendering games like FF14 benchmark, the game uses 25% less power usage or so ...(60 ish versus 45ish watts). So it may be more power efficent. It supports up to 8 cores were as most intel notebook processors are between 2-4 cores. Arguable whether that gives more overall processing power. We'll need to wait for some more benchmarking on this.

What has some people excited about it is videos like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdPi4GPEI74

If you watch this video, you'll notice/see that AMD's APU is able to render the FF14 benchmark at relatively smooth fps where as Intel's Integrated graphics choke. Why is this important? Well, we could potentially see notebooks for $399.99 that can run FF14 which is a fairly modern title on the go at 1366x768.

This has the potential to let us play newer games, equivilent to our pcs, on the go in a really small form factor. Rather than needing a heavy 19" gaming laptop that weights 10kg, has a huge power block and runs out of juice in 13 minutes if not plugged in. We might be able to see a 2.0kg netbook that has an hour of power usage and can play games at a very reasonable resolution considering the relatively small 7-10% screen size.

TL;DR version: Up to 8 cores, gpu/cpu physically being 1 chip with amd instead of 2 chips located nearby with intel, benchmarks suggesting good performance in modern games in small form factor, potential 'gaming' netbooks. PC quality gaming the size of a slightly larger nintendo ds.

Last edited:
Guys you should understand that this video is intended for common people who don't know how computers work. It's not for nerdboys who have 5k CPUs and 4x 30" monitors on their desk upgrading every 4 months.
For a basic people this vid is very well made and easy to understand and that is its purpose.

She's pretty good looking. But I don't see how that somehow makes the product better.

This. I felt the only time she understood what she was saying was when she said "but what does that mean?"

Shes got a bad case of stretchface.
180px-Ru%27afo%27s_flesh_stretching.jpg

I think theyre just using a 'pretty' sales robot to distract people from the marketing 'lies' shes spouting.

In Sandy Bridge, the CPU and IGP are on the same die, all connected via an internal ring bus. As such, the L3 cache is also shared with the IGP. On the dual-die arrandale/clarksdale units, it was connected via an on package QPI link, but was still more like an older NB, rather than an ondie solution (and the performance took a minor hit as such).

Sure, I'll take a bang at it. With Intel's Solution you have two chips. One chip is your HD3000 or HD2900 or whatever graphics chipset. The other is your CPU.

They are located physically nearby but a bit apart from eachother. Generally, the processor accessing the GPU requires probably sending a call through the pci-express bus, waiting for a response, etc etc. Its a pretty standard solution that basically fairly well mimics what PCs with discrete graphics cards do. However, Intel's solution is really really slow.

For example, an old laptop I have with a 2600 or so HD chipset can play WoW at the lowest detail settings with all the sliders turned all the way down at 800x600 resolution at about 7-8 fps. (A slideshow, just barely fast enough to do herb/ore farming and perhaps dailies against enemies npcs fairly under-powered). I think as we can all mostly agree upon, WoW is not known for its graphical prowless. Games like L4D for example, which too is not known for its graphics prowless, will run at 3-4 fps. Entirely, not playable. Thus the general opinion you'll find among gamers is 'lawl. intel integrated graphics. flash game much?'

With AMD's solution, the CPU and GPU have been combined into one-tiny chip rather than two chips. So potentially, for the CPU to access the GPU, a much smaller distance needs to be travelled. Smaller distance = faster turn around times = better performance? We'll see :). AMD also can use its GPU technologys like perhaps 3D support, better shaders versus Intel, etc. The GPU does come with UMV HD video enhancements for example so potentially it might have 3D support for 3D movie playback on the go.

One advantage at the moment is supposibly according to AMD, when rendering games like FF14 benchmark, the game uses 25% less power usage or so ...(60 ish versus 45ish watts). So it may be more power efficent. It supports up to 8 cores were as most intel notebook processors are between 2-4 cores. Arguable whether that gives more overall processing power. We'll need to wait for some more benchmarking on this.

What has some people excited about it is videos like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdPi4GPEI74

If you watch this video, you'll notice/see that AMD's APU is able to render the FF14 benchmark at relatively smooth fps where as Intel's Integrated graphics choke. Why is this important? Well, we could potentially see notebooks for $399.99 that can run FF14 which is a fairly modern title on the go at 1366x768.

This has the potential to let us play newer games, equivilent to our pcs, on the go in a really small form factor. Rather than needing a heavy 19" gaming laptop that weights 10kg, has a huge power block and runs out of juice in 13 minutes if not plugged in. We might be able to see a 2.0kg netbook that has an hour of power usage and can play games at a very reasonable resolution considering the relatively small 7-10% screen size.

TL;DR version: Up to 8 cores, gpu/cpu physically being 1 chip with amd instead of 2 chips located nearby with intel, benchmarks suggesting good performance in modern games in small form factor, potential 'gaming' netbooks. PC quality gaming the size of a slightly larger nintendo ds.

What if she is one of [H] community owning a watercooled oc'ed Sandy Bridge system along side her collection of guns? ;)
That would raise her attractiveness quotient 2 points, but it doesn't quite make up for the 3 points she lost acting like a typical airhead blond.;)

I don't know about hot, she's definately cute. Now if she let her hair down and whore a bikini and high heels that would be a different story.

What if she is one of [H] community owning a watercooled oc'ed Sandy Bridge system along side her collection of guns? ;)

she works for best buy and was picked to do the video, there isn't a chance in hell she owns anything other then a iphone and macbook air. they pick dumb people that can read really well for a reason.

I think this is great! She will be targeting the general populous and mac lovers. True enthusiast definitely will stick to seperate cpu and gpu.

The first answer was so filled with head shaking wrongness, I'll just make a short explanation. jeremyshaw corrected one of the worst inaccuracies already.

An AMD APU is a programmable GPU (OpenCL, DirectCompute or AMD's own APIs) with the CPU core(s) on the same chip (die). This is the "Fusion" type of CPU AMD has spoken about for years.

Intel's Sandy Bridge CPUs have a GPU and CPU on the same die, but the GPU is not programmable in OpenCL or DirectCompute (or anything outside of OGL or DX shaders). When Intel releases Ivy Bridge in several months, it will functionally have the same parts as an APU, including the programmable GPU. Before that, the 32nm Atom may have a programmable GPU (newer PVR SGX). "May" because Intel may not support that functionality in drivers.

I watched the video and thought, ok it isnt telling me anything new. But, for the average person it was a well done sales pitch. told you what it had and how that would benefit you. I learned long ago in sales, people dont want the technical, they want to know whats the benefit. Saying it has a 10GHz processor dont mean sh*t to most people. Say it runs your programs really fast, that they understand. She jept the tech minimal and told people the benefits.

A friggin marriage :drool:

Cute face, blond, doesnt appear to be too tall, small perky tits....

..wait, was this a hardware forum. :p

She's pretty attractive, but I see much, much more attractive + intelligent chicks on my college campus. Took a class in the chem department once (I'm a math/CS guy, so the women there are...ew to meh) and saw some REAL knockouts.

But, again, too bad I'm a math/CS major...:(

She isn't bad, would be more impressive if she wasn't just an actor. lol

As an engineer (AKA someone who doesn't have contact with too many hot chicks on a daily basis) i can say:
She isn't that hot... heck i didn't find her attractive honestly.

hahaha. i think anyone who thinks she isnt hot should post a pic of their gf/wife and let us rate higher or lower than the chick in the vid. :D

anyway, so no one saw that "AMD HD INTERNET" badge in the video? i still have no idea what that means.

The first answer was so filled with head shaking wrongness, I'll just make a short explanation. jeremyshaw corrected one of the worst inaccuracies already.

An AMD APU is a programmable GPU (OpenCL, DirectCompute or AMD's own APIs) with the CPU core(s) on the same chip (die). This is the "Fusion" type of CPU AMD has spoken about for years.

Intel's Sandy Bridge CPUs have a GPU and CPU on the same die, but the GPU is not programmable in OpenCL or DirectCompute (or anything outside of OGL or DX shaders). When Intel releases Ivy Bridge in several months, it will functionally have the same parts as an APU, including the programmable GPU. Before that, the 32nm Atom may have a programmable GPU (newer PVR SGX). "May" because Intel may not support that functionality in drivers.

Thank you very much sir! I knew all he was telling me, Thanks to him for trying, but did not make the connection. So thank you. And on the subject of the girl, She was a little above average, Not saying i wouldn't give her my "Hardware :p" but i would say shes a 6-10

Back