Home theater build. Been out of the loop for a year or two. Need advice!

dalearyous

[H]ard|Gawd
background:
in college i worked for large consumer electronics store and kept up with the more expensive stuff you could probably find in best buy and crutchfield etc ... haven't looked at home theater stuff in a couple years but i will be tiling the man cave floor this weekend and should have it all wrapped up shortly after that.

man cave:
i wired it for 5.1 surround sound. the room is just not big enough to justify anything else. the entire area is about 225 square feet that includes a half bath and closet. the wall that the TV is going on is about 75" wide and on the other side of it is a closet. so i will be terminating everything in this closet and basically punching everything out in there (so the wall with the tv will be clean and free of everything except TV and speakers).

suggestions:
for the closet: i am envisioning some sort of media rack that will make it easy to set everything up and keep everything organized and clean. i also need some sort of channels that will keep the wires looking decent. finally, i will need some sort of IR repeater as i doubt the remotes will work through the wall (this might be challenging for the Wii U and i will solve this when i get there). all of this plugs into a belkin pureav unit and select hardware gets plugged into a server batter backup unit i have that weighs a ton.

for the room: projector is pretty much out of the question. room is too small and i do not want one. i am thinking roughly 60" TV with 5.1 surround speakers and receiver. for the TV, i currently have an older but awesome panny plasma that i still think has GREAT color compared to some other LCDs and LEDs i have seen at friends. so i don't know what is best now. the room is pretty dark and has one small window that does not let in a lot of natural light. speaker wise, i used to own monster high end klipsch speakers. i loved them but i cannot set something like that up in the space i am in now. so 5.1 speakers that are relatively small but should pack a punch! the receiver, i like the idea of the network attached receivers but it seems to really tap into some awesome features you need to spend a lot of money. i was thinking more along the $300-$500 range and always found Yamaha to be a great bargain.

final thoughts:
so this is where i am at. i would love any and all input and recommendations for: media rack, cabling, IR repeater, TV, speakers, receiver ... any anything else really.

very nice equipment is not lost on me. but i need to be realistic with cost. so while i can't give you a budget, i am not looking to go overboard. something that fits the space nice that is above average but not ridiculous.

No one?

Ok, quick update. This is what I am looking at:

TV: Panasonic TC-P60VT60
Receiver: Still hunting for a good bargain on a mid to high end one
Speakers: Still not sure. Going to crutchfield to demo some
Closet: I have trolled the "show me your rack" thread on avsforums and have some pretty good ideas (most likely an IT rack for cheap from craigslist)

Look into Denon receivers. You can usually pick up some great deals for them online (even the higher end refurbished stuff). The reason for this recommendation is that they generally have second to none room correction.

What is your budget for speakers? You prefer to wall/ceiling mount, floor standers, bookshelves, etc.?

i would prefer to wall mount the speakers. if i do tall floor standing ones, i might cut the wall out and trim out a white mesh covering and place the speakers behind the mesh in the wall and let them hang out the back.

I have been told from a few people I know who know a lot about home theatre setups that wall mounted or in wall speakers are a bad idea, they say, they speakers need space behind them or the sound from them will be distorted, hence they recommend floor standing or pedestals. I am going to be setting up my man cave, as soon as I can get the drywall done, lol, but I too am looking at a 60-65" plasma tv and will also be getting a Denon receiver, I have one already in my living room and love it.

i am also looking at buying a server rack to hold all my equipment. everything will sit on the other side of the wall holding the TV. any idea if i will have issues with xbox 360, ps3, wii u controllers ...? assuming i solve the other remotes with an IR repeater or harmony remote.

Logitech Harmony remote works great in home theater setups. With multiple devices, it's awesome. Add that to your budget. Even the cheaper ones are pretty damn good.

Can you do in wall for surround and pedestal or bookshelf speakers on a stand for the front stage? Axiom has some great speakers, both wall mount (not in the wall, but on the wall) and floor standing. Sound great and aren't too expensive.

I like Denon and Yamaha receivers, and some bargains are out there.

Aperion audio is having a sale right now on their Intimus line of speakers. Amazing sounding speakers with tons of accolades. The gloss black finish is beautiful as well. I had a setup of 5B's in the front and a 5c for center before I upgraded to the verus line. Highly recommend taking a look.

Aperion audio is having a sale right now on their Intimus line of speakers. Amazing sounding speakers with tons of accolades. The gloss black finish is beautiful as well. I had a setup of 5B's in the front and a 5c for center before I upgraded to the verus line. Highly recommend taking a look.

i don't doubt they are nice but are a bit expensive. will have to think it over.

Why not a projector? They are really the ultimate immersive experience.

Is this in a basement.
If so is it already finished?

it is in basement and most of it is finished.

Why not a projector? They are really the ultimate immersive experience.

i just don't like the idea. for one, the wall is only 70 inches wide and i don't want to have to deal with bulbs. i also don't find the color and quality to be good enough unless you spend a small fortune. quality over inch quantity.

Check out http://www.accessories4less.com/ for refurb Denon, Marantz, and Onkyo gear. Personally I'd stay away from Onkyo just due to them having crazy amounts of HDMI failures (check AVSforum).

If you care any bit about sound quality I'd avoid wall mounting speakers like the plague unless it's your only choice (space restrictions, wife forcing you too, etc.). For good sound you want to reduce the amount of influence the room has on your speakers by proper placement. Most speakers aren't designed to be placed near the wall so you wall mount one and it really screws with the sound by creating massive peaks and nulls in the frequency response.

I second the Harmony Remotes. I have a Harmony 700 and love it.

Last edited:
in wall speakers are nice if you hide them behind one of those perforated projector screens, otherwise I wouldn't recommend them.

the refurb equipment, does it come with warranty? what type if hardware is typically sold? dented box or user error or some that actually needed repair?

also, is plex the best way to go for media server?

Check out http://www.accessories4less.com/ for refurb Denon, Marantz, and Onkyo gear. Personally I'd stay away from Onkyo just due to them having crazy amounts of HDMI failures (check AVSforum).

If you care any bit about sound quality I'd avoid wall mounting speakers like the plague unless it's your only choice (space restrictions, wife forcing you too, etc.). For good sound you want to reduce the amount of influence the room has on your speakers by proper placement. Most speakers aren't designed to be placed near the wall so you wall mount one and it really screws with the sound by creating massive peaks and nulls in the frequency response.

I second the Harmony Remotes. I have a Harmony 700 and love it.

Last edited:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.irule.activity&hl=en
http://www.amazon.com/Global-Cache-...?ie=UTF8&qid=1378700627&sr=8-9&keywords=itach

If you want to spend less you can use harmony link.

I would go the cell phone route it wont be long before its all controlled that way you just need some IR functionality to hold you over. It also gives you options for buying a cheap tablet if you want a dedicated device and allowing anyone to control things with their own devices..

As for speakers, ya everyone tries wall mounting but you just never have the choice or selection and audio quality. Wall mount doesn't look good anyway you got a bunch of random funny vents all over the walls, unless you are going to really do it up and get aucustic cloth and have it painted or printed to look like art.

Monoprice stuff is installer grade which means its better than nothing but eh....

So far my favorite receivers are Denon.

Your TV is a good choice unless you want to step up to the ZT60 supposedly the best TV to every grace the face of the earth.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Receivers: I'm partial to Marantz and Yamaha, but get whatever you want. It's really hard to go wrong these days when buying new. Just make sure you get something with pre-outs for all channels - not just the subwoofer if you think you'll expand into a bigger room soon. http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V47...e=UTF8&qid=1378701979&sr=1-1&keywords=rx-v475

Screen: Personally I'd go with a front projector setup for 2.35:1. Check out a JVC DILA projector.

Speakers: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hiw-1.html
Get 5 of those.

Sub: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk2.html

Misc: AppleTV, Roku3, BD/DVD - is there room in the budget for an Oppo?

the refurb equipment, does it come with warranty? what type if hardware is typically sold? dented box or user error or some that actually needed repair?

also, is plex the best way to go for media server?

I don't know about the warranty. You'd have to check the site and each product for more info about that. I've never ordered from them before but I probably will at some point as I have my eye on a Marantz Pre/Pro. I've heard of plenty of happy customers of that site on various audio forums I visit. Not sure on the hardware either, probably all of the above.

I dunno about Plex either. I use SMB shares and XBMC personally.

so explain this to me. is this what i think it is? does this just allow me to use a device on my network to blast IR signal to any of my devices?

Receivers: I'm partial to Marantz and Yamaha, but get whatever you want.

Speakers: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hiw-1.html
Get 5 of those.

Sub: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk2.html

i have always got my money out of yamaha and marantz looks like an amazing product. i have heard mixed reports about installing speakers IN the wall. i have no problem cutting a hole in the wall and doing it that way IF its worth it. i guess i could also do floor standing or pedestal speakers in the front.

i have always got my money out of yamaha and marantz looks like an amazing product. i have heard mixed reports about installing speakers IN the wall. i have no problem cutting a hole in the wall and doing it that way IF its worth it. i guess i could also do floor standing or pedestal speakers in the front.

Hsu makes a great product. You should give them a call and see if it'll work for you, but in this case where you have limited room - it is worth another look.

Yes you connect the itach to the network, then any device that can have an application that can communicate with the itach can send it commands, the itach will relay those commands through the 3 IR ports to whatever you want. You can hook up IR blasters and set them out so you can see all the devices or wire them directly into the back of devices which support an IR in cable.

The best part is it has an open API so anyone can make an app for it, there are many options so if you hate one or don't want to pay a high price for a particular one you can try others.

i would prefer to wall mount the speakers. if i do tall floor standing ones, i might cut the wall out and trim out a white mesh covering and place the speakers behind the mesh in the wall and let them hang out the back.

This would be a mistake, as many towers are side or rear ported.

I know you said "I can't give you a budget" but can you give a ballpark for the project?

Would you spend over $500 per speaker?
Are you set on a plasma? Would you consider a DLP?
Are you looking for an upgrade path? Looking for Pre/Pro?

Or are you looking for a "pretty good" setup for around a certain number? $5k? Less?
Where are you located (For Audiogon local deals)?

I mean... the suggestions can vary a great deal depending....

Last edited:
ok, so i love the itach device. that would be really useful.

i will take a look at HSU.

budget ideas? i was looking for a TV around $2k and not a projector. the projector really does not make sense. i should measure out the room and draw up a diagram so you guys can see what i am dealing with.

anyway, for the cost of things, this is my preconceived notions:
around $2k for TV
around $500 for the receiver
around $1500-$2000 for all the speakers

the more i spend the longer and more steps it will take to finish it (i also have 2013 wrangler that is being upgrade :D )

located in virginia. i understand the argument for an upgrade path by getting more components that do specific things. but i have to be realistic, this is a townhome that we own that we will be living in for about 2 more years and then we will buy the 10-20 year home and i will go crazy.

Don't get Denon or any receiver that utilizes Audyssey if you like manually customizing your EQ and using some form of compression Get a Pioneer or Yamaha

Have you considered JBL L series?

rump.jpg

LC2 for center
L820's for FL, FR, SR & SL

Last edited:
No one?

Ok, quick update. This is what I am looking at:

TV: Panasonic TC-P60VT60
Receiver: Still hunting for a good bargain on a mid to high end one
Speakers: Still not sure. Going to crutchfield to demo some
Closet: I have trolled the "show me your rack" thread on avsforums and have some pretty good ideas (most likely an IT rack for cheap from craigslist)

I'd rather get a 65" ST than a 60" VT, for the size, unless there is something on the VT you really think stands out. The ST is getting all kinds of value/performance kudos so its not like you are making a big sacrifice for size. But you're a panny fan you know the differences. I have a 55VT50 and a 65VT50 and appreciate so much the extra size when I watch in my LR as opposed to BR with the "smaller set".

I'd consider a darbee darblet to accompany your plasma since panny's tend to be a bit fuzzy and it helps sharpening the picture a lot. I have one and very much like it.

Speakers for on wall: Id look at the thin wall hanging ones, like the KEF T series (they have a 5.1 kit btw), paradigm millenia lp LCR or martin logan slim LCR, etc. With a good sub these will be really fine sound-wise, although ya they won't be like nice floor standers.

Have you thought about your sub and placement? Since you'll have wall speakers per your spec the sub will really make or break your setup so you'll want it to blend well.

If room correction is important I'd get an AVR that has Audessy XT32. That puts you with probably either a Denon or Onkyo. Otherwise an avr is an avr...

Will your closet have cooling for all the gear you have in it?

Have you measured your HDMI run from the closet to the wall mount TV spot on the other side of the room and thought about that? HDMI starts to cap out around 50ft for the run.

How much thought have you put into the logical setup? media server? nas? movies? ripping? etc? This is a HTPC forum =)

I would definitely read some reviews, this isn't true.

Ya, poor choice of words. I meant more to say everyone has their tastes in AVRs and brands, and its just not an area that's worth going into for OP as perhaps there are key features he wants (eg, perhaps he wants really good room correction and believes in its uses), but the rest is personal and up to him. Same with pick of subwoofer, speakers, etc., although his range of choices in spkrs are limited.

ok, i used some crappy free online software to give you guys an idea of the room:
layout.png

i labeled the wall the TV will be on and right on the other side is the media rack and closet. i also put an S for speaker on where there is current wiring. you will see my space is small so i think 60" TV will be plenty. the double doors hide the utilities and the stairs go up and then turn. i was thinking a couch on the opposite wall from the TV and then maybe a chair off to the left of the couch maybe pulled somewhat into the middle of the room, not sure. ill be using a cheetah mount for the TV that will pull away from the wall and adjust.

my closet has a vent in the wall that i will use to pass through air and keep it circulating. i am currently using plex media server and love it. i have a spare 8 core opteron server, 16 gb ram, with (4) 1TB WD black drives running in RAID10 that i was going to use as my media server. i will also have a small gaming rig in there too.

Just wondering why you didn't put the TV on the "North" wall? It seems like you are really limiting your sound stage and general aesthetics on the "East" wall off the cabinet.

Anyhow, you should post this here: http://www.avsforum.com/f/19/dedicated-theater-design-construction

You will get a ton more/better/educated responses and feedback.

Oh, NM, you did.

Anyhow, I still think you should strongly consider 65". Its less than 5" wider than the 60" and size is always the biggest post-purchase regret. If you are sitting ~10 ft back 60" imho is way too small.

Last edited:
i didn't put the TV on the north wall because i didn't want to main seating area to be in the middle of the room. plus when you come in the door from garage, typically we will head straight for the stairs and that area is just not that big (the scale of the picture might be slightly off). i dunno, i could always change it pretty easily.

i know its not ideal, but its what i have to work with. we only see ourselves being in this town home for another year, two max so i will wait to do it right on the next one.

*edit*
oh, another reason why is in case i ever get kicked out of the office upstairs (new addition to the fam) i will have to move my main computer to the basement and this setup allows for me to set it up on the west wall closer to the bathroom door ... just in case.

Back