help remove OEM crack emulator

dx00

Limp Gawd
I have installed a cracked copy of Windows 7 on my HP machine. It activetes by the end of installation and pops up a command prompt that says Product key <oem key> sucesfully installed. Everything was good until I decided to go back to my legal copy of Vista. I enter my key and everything but when the installation is complete and I right click on my computer, it shows me the OEM key for Vista. The same happens when I install XP. I tried to restart my bios settings, format my HDD and install Linux but its still there.
The release Ive used to install Win7 was Microsoft.Windows.7.ULTIMATE.x86.OEM.DVD-BIE
Do you have any ideas how to remove it? Its really annoying.

Was that a clean install of Vista you were trying? Was your hard drive blank and unformatted before you started the install?

Yes it was a clean install of Vista/XP and the hard drive was formatted under GParted live CD. Ive found a OEM emulator removal tool in comments on TPB. Hopefully it will work!

Try it again with an unformatted drive. You also can check if your software will format the MBR of the disk as well.

Try it again with an unformatted drive. You also can check if your software will format the MBR of the disk as well.

I have already done it a few times and I fixed the MBR from the command line on my Vista disk. Im going to give it one more try!
EDIT: I have just finished installing Vista. It´s still using the OEM key.

Last edited:
Are you using an OEM key of Vista or Windows 7? Are you using an HP Vista disk?

Are you able to pass the genuine advantage?

Are you actuallying typing in a key during installation or does the disk not even prompt you to insert a key?

Some OEMs actually encode this key into the BIOS. That's why if you install Windows on a Dell machine, most of the time you won't get prompted for a product key... It's hard-coded into the BIOS.

My guess is whatever crack you found, was able to change that.

How to change it back, I've got no earthly idea.

ALL of that said though, a fresh install *should* allow you to type your own product key, especially since the XP key won't match a Windows 7 install, and won't match a Vista install.

You can change your key once you're inside of Windows, have you tried doing that?
4171558885_568141ee41_o.jpg

Yes, I have tried it as well. When I enter my own product key it says product activation completed sucesfully but it still uses that damn OEM key. I´m really determined to remove it because from what I heard MS will be banning all the leaked OEM keys or at least some of them on Janurary 2010. That means I will not be able to use any MS Windows installation on my PC. I´m going to install the 90 days trial of Windows 7 and see if it´s gonna change my product key.

Last edited:
I guess it's a good lesson to stop pirating your stuff...

At whatever rate, what registry key is actually in the registry? You might try changing it there and then activating.

I'm either confused, or I'm missing something. Is your Vista license a legit OEM install? Is it from the actual HP discs? If so, you are probably worrying for no reason. If it is a store bought OEM license, then you should be able to enter in the actual key and be done with it. What type of disc are you using for the Vista install...as in where did you get it?

I guess it's a good lesson to stop pirating your stuff...

At whatever rate, what registry key is actually in the registry? You might try changing it there and then activating.

isn´t the product key in the registry encrypted?

I'm either confused, or I'm missing something. Is your Vista license a legit OEM install? Is it from the actual HP discs? If so, you are probably worrying for no reason. If it is a store bought OEM license, then you should be able to enter in the actual key and be done with it. What type of disc are you using for the Vista install...as in where did you get it?

I´m using the HP disc that I made from the recovery partition. I´m confused now, lol. You can be right about the OEM licence. I´m going to have a look at the documents.

Last edited:
use a program like Magic Jellybean to find the actual key used (if it works for Vista/7?), and compare it to the key used for the Win7 crack.

maybe?

I´m really sorry for the problem. It cleary says Windows Vista Home Premium OEMAct! I´m sorry for all the stupid quesions I asked here. Now, I know what it´s all about. Thank You DeaconFrost and others. I could install the cracked version of Win7 and compare the keys but it would take too much time. If my product key gets somehow blacklisted I´m going to contact my store or HP.

Last edited:
If my product key gets somehow blacklisted I´m going to contact my store or HP.
Many of the OEMs ship recovery discs (or partitions to make the discs) that auto-load one of their legit OEM keys...much like the old Volume License Keys with XP. That is pre-activated, and legit at that, so you have nothing to worry about. If for some reason, it is ever blacklisted, you'd have every right to call HP and complain. Having that version of Vista installed on the HP system is 100% kosher and legal.

Yea but I still think his crack found some way to over-ride what HP wrote into the bootrom...
IDK how, but I'd honestly wait and see if it deactivates itself before worrying about it. At that point Microsoft support would be happy to help you out with it (omit the part about pirating which led you to the problem in the first place)

Some OEMs actually encode this key into the BIOS. That's why if you install Windows on a Dell machine, most of the time you won't get prompted for a product key... It's hard-coded into the BIOS.

My guess is whatever crack you found, was able to change that.

How to change it back, I've got no earthly idea.

ALL of that said though, a fresh install *should* allow you to type your own product key, especially since the XP key won't match a Windows 7 install, and won't match a Vista install.

You can change your key once you're inside of Windows, have you tried doing that?
4171558885_568141ee41_o.jpg

Nobody " encodes " the key inthe BIOS. Nobody. The BIOS will have an OEM string in the BIOS SLIC and RSDT tables that will correspond the the license certificate file from the OEM installation disk, these along with the correct volumn license key when they all jive together will cause activation when the system runs the VBS code during installation. The key itself is on the DVD. In Vista it was in a file called PID.txt, I cannot remember where it is in Win 7 but they changed the location...

Sorry to crap on your post, but I hate miss information.

pcgeek11

I don't know how the emulator works but if it's wedged into the boot sector of your HDD, you could boot into a Linux livecd and "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1m count=1" or something like that to make completely sure it's gone.

iirc bie uses a loader by omdhar (Vista7 Slic Ldr), so try finding a copy of that somewhere, and then using the uninstall option

capturejvp.png

Nobody " encodes " the key inthe BIOS. Nobody. The BIOS will have an OEM string in the BIOS SLIC and RSDT tables that will correspond the the license certificate file from the OEM installation disk, these along with the correct volumn license key when they all jive together will cause activation when the system runs the VBS code during installation. The key itself is on the DVD. In Vista it was in a file called PID.txt, I cannot remember where it is in Win 7 but they changed the location...

Then explain how I can take a non-OEM disk, install Windows with that, and it still won't prompt me for a key?
Also explain how I cannot find any key on the disk whatsoever (I'm looking at an XP disk ATM).

Then explain how I can take a non-OEM disk, install Windows with that, and it still won't prompt me for a key?
Also explain how I cannot find any key on the disk whatsoever (I'm looking at an XP disk ATM).

Does a "WINNT.SIF" file exist on the CD?

Does a "WINNT.SIF" file exist on the CD?

Ahhh, yes... And there's a key in it.

However my first question... ??? AIK (And I've read an article about this, I'm not just pulling it out of nowhere) is Dell/HP/whoever writes some kind of key into the BIOS to where installation on those won't trigger the need for that key.

Ahhh, yes... And there's a key in it.

However my first question... ??? AIK (And I've read an article about this, I'm not just pulling it out of nowhere) is Dell/HP/whoever writes some kind of key into the BIOS to where installation on those won't trigger the need for that key.

No key code is written into the Bios, however OEM branded CDs have methods in which they can detect the make/model of the computer through querying information from the BIOS. If it matches to a known list, the install continues with the OEM VLK and is already preactivated.

You can't do that without the proper files and key on the disk. Period. Esp with a "Non-OEM Disk".

I guess because you do not know where to look. I can find it.

Three requirements for OEM automatic activation:

1. XXXXXX.xrm-ms certificate file for the applicable Trusted OEM.
2. VL OEM Activation Key loaded from the DVD/CD.
3. SLP and RSDT code in the BIOS that matches the XXXXX.xrm-ms Certificate. ( Run Everest and look at the ACIP Tables and you can see the strings if you look at the SLP and RSDT Tables. )

The installation also has code to run the activation VBS in order that the user will never see when it happens.

These will never happen if you install with a Non-OEM disk as you stated you could. I say you cannot.

(And I've read an article about this, I'm not just pulling it out of nowhere)

You need to read more articles, much more.

pcgeek11

Back