Help me find a good 775 board!!

rushaoz

Weaksauce
Alright I admit, I suck at googling. I really do. My girlfriend tells me so :(. Anyhoo... can you guys help me find a decent 775 board to match my q6600 b3 with? I want to oc to atleast 3.4... so the main goal here is finding a good overclocker. My p5n-e is a nightmare to oc with... (currently at a stable 3GHz..) help me guys!! any links or input is appreciated folks. Thanx in advance fellas.

Before you guys suggest upgrading... Im unemployed and can only afford to spend atleast 80-100$ on an lga775 board.. in hopes i can squeeze every bit of mhz out of it so i dont bottleneck my GTX460 in bf3. Once again, thanks fellas.

I suggest you look at eBay. You can easily pick up a used lga775 board up for $50 US shipped. I recommend the P5Q PRO.

However how do you know that your overclocking problem is motherboard related? I mean you could possibly have a Q6600 that can not do more than 3GHz so that no motherboard switch would help unless you use ln2 or some other exotic sub zero cooling..

I suggest you look at eBay. You can easily pick up a used lga775 board up for $50 US shipped. I recommend the P5Q PRO. However how do you know that your overclocking problem is motherboard related? I mean you could possibly have a Q6600 that can not do more than 3GHz so that no motherboard switch would help unless you use ln2 or some other exotic sub zero cooling..

I used to own the P5N-E the OP has and it is a pretty horrible board for overclocking quads. I am actually pretty surprised at the 3ghz he was able to achieve. But you are right a B3 Q6600 isn't likely to see over 3.2-3.4ghz anyways.

OP if you think its worth dropping money on a pretty small increase, the P5Q as mentioned, is a quality choice. I have the vanilla P5Q in my HTPC and it is a solid board that can handle high FSB's with quads. It could easily take a Q9550 to 4ghz but then again... you have a B3 Q6600 :(

I suggest you look at eBay. You can easily pick up a used lga775 board up for $50 US shipped. I recommend the P5Q PRO.

However how do you know that your overclocking problem is motherboard related? I mean you could possibly have a Q6600 that can not do more than 3GHz so that no motherboard switch would help unless you use ln2 or some other exotic sub zero cooling..

Its mobo related and psu related. For one this motherboard is extremely unstable in its own state. I can have my pc on for a whole week... at 3ghz.. but if i reboot sometimes I get POST lockups. The motherboard is an extreme pain. It took me months to get to where Im at. Second I need a new PSU, I can get to 3.2GHz but if i play bf3 i get a non errorr cold reboot within seconds of joining a game. Its wird.. I can run prime 95 and furmark at the same time to put a 100% load on everything and i wont reboot.. as soon as i fire up bf3 i reboot within 30 seconds. So Im thinking my psu is giving out. Which is ok. Technically im pushing it as it is. But my motherboard... dude if i reset the cmos and run at stock settings i cant even get past post. Thsi things a giant asshole. If you google it youll find that the mobos are horrible with c2q.

I used to own the P5N-E the OP has and it is a pretty horrible board for overclocking quads. I am actually pretty surprised at the 3ghz he was able to achieve. But you are right a B3 Q6600 isn't likely to see over 3.2-3.4ghz anyways.

OP if you think its worth dropping money on a pretty small increase, the P5Q as mentioned, is a quality choice. I have the vanilla P5Q in my HTPC and it is a solid board that can handle high FSB's with quads. It could easily take a Q9550 to 4ghz but then again... you have a B3 Q6600 :(

HAHA you shared my pain!! Im suprised i was able to get where i am too lol especially at 1.32 vcore.. Ive seen people get to where im at with ony 1.4+ vcore. Still... I have seen people get to 3.4 ghz with a b3. Since mine runs so well at a low vcore im thingking it can make it. Also to add I already own an original p5q i got from someone. Its dead :((

I have a DFI P45 JR mATX mb that I am not using that I could sell you if the price is right. Send PM if you are interested.

I do suggest the DFI Jr offered above (if you can live with a micro atx), if you can swing the price. If not...

I have this board:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5B_DeluxeWiFiAP/

In its original box, with all accessories except the wifi antenna that came with it. This was in my buddies system for a little over a year before he upgraded, I bought it off him to build a frankenstein box, but never got around to it. Yours for $80 shipped to lower 48 only. Was the bomb P5 back in the day, heh... Guaranteed non-doa for 14 days.

Also have a GA-P35-DS3R, still sitting in a case right now with an E6850 in it. Consider it a bare board sell, but I might have the box and manual around if I look. I used this with a Q9400 oc'd to 3.4ghz and an 8800 ultra up until a few years ago with great performance. Same price/guarantee.

Man I really need to organize and sell of this stuff while it might fetch a quid or two!

Last edited:
the best 775 mobo bar none is the Gigabyte Ep45-3P
just happen to have one with a mounted E8400CPU and coupla Gskill 8000 sticks - heh heh

That's what I have on my WHS with a Q9650, but not remotely close to his price range.

the best 775 mobo bar none is the Gigabyte Ep45-3P
just happen to have one with a mounted E8400CPU and coupla Gskill 8000 sticks - heh heh

GA-P35-DS3L or DS3R i have this and it took an old E6300 conroe chip up to 3.25/450 on air no sweat, not even a vcore bump needed

Still happily running with a e6750 at 3.2 simply because i was too lazy to go further with an i7 in the works

Only thing about them is that they need a $8 scythe 40mm fan off newegg for their NBs as they can overheat

but yeah any of the decent gigabyte boards are much easier to mess with than an asus, they typically dont bother coding BIOSes to help you oc well

Back