Have I found the elusive "fast enough?"

ryuji

2[H]4U
I upgraded to wolfdale that I'm running at 533 bus 4.5 ghz long ago, i7 came out and I found no gaming reason to upgrade with my 5870 graphics card. Now sandy bridge is out and still no game doesn't let me play maxed out at 1920x1080 at good frame rate. This mobo/cpu is quickly approaching about 5 years old now, have I found the impossible"fast enough"?

If you can do 1920x1080 on that thing with Crysis and it's good enough for you, then no, you're done for a few more years. ;)

That's not to say that a nice Sandy Bridge based machine (both CPU and Chipset, obviously) wouldn't leave what you've got now in the dust, literally. There's some good deals to be had nowadays, especially since that little snafu with the 1st revision chipsets has been resolved.

If you're happy with what you've got, stick with it I'd say. Doesn't seem like you have "Upgraditis" for which some people never find a cure. :D

If you can do 1920x1080 on that thing with Crysis and it's good enough for you, then no, you're done for a few more years. ;)

That's not to say that a nice Sandy Bridge based machine (both CPU and Chipset, obviously) wouldn't leave what you've got now in the dust, literally. There's some good deals to be had nowadays, especially since that little snafu with the 1st revision chipsets has been resolved.

If you're happy with what you've got, stick with it I'd say. Doesn't seem like you have "Upgraditis" for which some people never find a cure. :D

*raises hand as one of the uncurables*

If your happy and getting good performance with what you have, then for the moment I think you have found fast enough. This will probably change once PC specific games start coming out like The Witcher 2 which should provide a decent challange graphically (if only I could beat the first one...).

Crysis/crysis 2 runs perfectly fine at 1920x1080 dx10 all maxed out for me

Perhaps gpu is pulling all the weight? or maybe wolfdale is a monster at 2.2 ghz fsb

Perhaps gpu is pulling all the weight? or maybe wolfdale is a monster at 2.2 ghz fsb

Upgrading to first LGA1366 then to LGA1155 I've noticed some performance gains but I believe that's more due to my high end multi GPU setup more than anything. My HTPC is still rocking a Q6700 @ 3.4GHz and that thing plays most everything at high settings on a 1080p projector. I think really most Core 2 and Phenom II setups are still good for most PC gaming that's not super high end and super high res.

So probably very little tangable gaming benefit from a upgrade like I'm thinking

happens once in a while, reason i still use the rig in my signature even though i've i5 set up. the one in sig runs all my fav games at 1400x900 settings about 45 FPS and or more reason i'm keeping it around cause if i play on that thing the electricity bill goes down almost $100 if the i5 rig is not used.

i dont think you have found "good enough" , its found you.

i am pretty sure its just because games have stalled for the most part when it comes to graphics. Most are console ports (both consoles are 5 year old + so they do limit things abit)

I am rolling with a 5870 at 2560*1600 and other than the upgrade itch i have no reason to upgrade. only metro 2033 really pushed the card (i had to drop to 1920*1200)

I'm sad to say that I've found my good enough as well. Next step is to save the money that I would normally put toward upgrades on my PC and use that to upgrade my display(s), thus restarting the vicious cycle.

I'm thinking 3x24" portrait would be a reasonable goal - with 3xU2711's or even 3xU3011's if I had that kind of money. But the 24 inchers is more reasonable as I'll definitely need to ditch my GTX260 to do that. That'll cause me to need a new PSU likely too...

it is but also there aren't may cpu intensive games. games like BFBC2 on the other hand you can actually see the difference between say a C2Q 45nm processor and a phenom II x6 or i7 processor. but other then that single game most only use 2 threads.

Back