Has anyone owned both the NEC and U2311H?

I have to say now that in 8 bit (normal computing) mode I have the U2311H next to the U3011 right here and for what it's worth, the colour is basically the same on both monitors. U3011 benefits from slightly higher quality H-IPS and a brighter lamp but that's about it.

The U2311H will not disappoint you unless you're one of those people who takes issue with Dell's AG coating.

What's the AG coating do, that people don't like?

Last edited:
The AG coating is what gives screens that matte effect to diffuse light.

Some people feel that Dell's is too "ferocious" and gives a "gritty" look to the pixels.

I personally don't mind it but it can get on some peoples nerves. :p

I can't say as I haven't owned one personally, nor have I researched into them.

I did come across this thread, however: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1495538

OP says avoid.

If you want gloss go for an Apple Cinema Display. Just don't expect to be able to use such a screen with the sun hitting it.

I hate apple.. I hate apple.. I don't want LED.. I hate apple.. and I don't want gloss. :) You just seemed to be saying the AG on the dell was much stronger than normal.

:)

I wouldn't say stronger than normal, but from what I was reading the people who took serious issue with it went off and bought an ACD.

Hmm....
Tough to decide what to do.. I'm not sure if my eyes can even focus on a 23" screen.. I think I'll just get 1 dell (again) and try it out.
If I don't like it but I can see it, I'll get 2 Acer 23" TN's for eyefinity. ;)

I'm considering both of these monitors as well. Keep the personal experiences coming.
I had the U2410 and sent it back due to the tinting issues (pink on one side and green on the other). I've read the U2311 has a bit of this...anyone? If so, the NEC uses the same panel so should, theoretically have the problem too.

It does, Boost.

Now, from research:
The NEC has worse unifornity.
The NEC has a MUCH worse return policy.

~
I'm calling dell now and ordering the u23. I have a 15% coupon.

Yeah, at least you get a premium panel warranty with Dell. One pixel out of place and you can get the whole thing replaced.

Nice Link Bear!

Alright, I bought the dell....................

$274 w/ tax. (They gave me $20 off). I had a 15% coupon but they wouldn't apply it because it's already on sale. I told them I won't buy it without the discount. They gave me $20 instead of $42, but meh.. I wasn't going to get a better deal right now.

I might buy an NEC next month and try them both. Only the middle screen "really" matters. :p

I too am considering the U2311H, but was wondering if I should wait a month before i pull the trigger... does anyone recommending waiting until March? I've heard a new line of Samsung monitors are going to be released then.

On a side-note, does anyone have an idea when Dell would be releasing new monitors?

Cheers

The U**1*H series are fairly new? I wouldn't expect new IPS dell monitors soon.

I too am considering the U2311H, but was wondering if I should wait a month before i pull the trigger... does anyone recommending waiting until March? I've heard a new line of Samsung monitors are going to be released then.

On a side-note, does anyone have an idea when Dell would be releasing new monitors?
If you can wait, then wait as I doubt the U2311H is going anywhere fast, unless of course you there's currently a sale on somewhere that you don't want to miss.

There's a host of new IPS monitors coming out from LG like the E2370V or the IPS2xxx range (notably the IPS231P) and a few from Fujitsu.

NEC have also released the successor to the EA231WMi, the EA232WMi, which is essentially the same thing but LED backlit. However from reviews such as FlatpanelsHD and PCMonitors, it doesn't seem to be as good. TFTCentral have their review underway too.

There's some talk of a Dell "U2412" which some people are anticipating as the successor to the U2410, but it's all rumours and wishful thinking so far.

Back