Goodbye GTX 460 768mb, tis was good.

Z06

[H]ard|Gawd
After 2 years of playing every game I threw at it and never giving me a problem (other then poor frames as of late). I'm going to be retiring this card in less then a week(or using for PHYSX). I Splurged and went AMD!?<!

Ended up paying a little extra ($235) for the PowerColor 7870 Myst. After missing the sale I finally found one on Superbiiz.com. I haven't purchased anything from that site since before its name change.

Few Questions I have:

Will i have any problems with having the GTX460 being a primary PHYSX card and the 7870 as main GPU?

AMD Drivers still iffy?

Anyone wanna buy Bioshock + Womb Raider?

Thanks guys. I'm happy to finally spoil myself its been over a year since i've bought anything PC related.

I went exactly the same route.
Galaxy GTX 460 768mb to Gigabyte 7870...;)
Quite a big leap in performance...

I also was pondering the idea of holding onto the 460 for Physx, but after reading through countless forums and seeing what a PITA it is to setup, (expecially AMD + Nvidia GPU combo) and the low number of games that are actually taking a full advantage of the feature, I decided to simply sell the 460, and enjoy what I just upgraded to....

I went exactly the same route.
Galaxy GTX 460 768mb to Gigabyte 7870...;)
Quite a big leap in performance...

I also was pondering the idea of holding onto the 460 for Physx, but after reading through countless forums and seeing what a PITA it is to setup, (expecially AMD + Nvidia GPU combo) and the low number of games that are actually taking a full advantage of the feature, I decided to simply sell the 460, and enjoy what I just upgraded to....

it's not a pain in the butt anymore, check the physics subforum for easy instructions :D

Lol Big. Ive been saying that for years. Read it along time ago, cant remember where. And I will surely check the forum. Hope It doesnt stress me too much. :p

ha just did the same thing yesterday, though i splurged and went with a 7970 ;).

Anyone know if the Z77 chipset with the built-in Lucid MPV hybrid graphics booster offer significant performance increases for Physx games? <-- maybe a bit off on wording here, but I think you folks get what I'm aiming for...

ha just did the same thing yesterday, though i splurged and went with a 7970 ;).

I'm jelly! I am currently out of work due to having surgery. So i couldnt spoil myself THAT much ;).

And as far as Lucid, I heard it benefits you. But not sure by how much.

I also have a Question:

I have a Z68 Motherboard with PCI Gen 2... How much increase in FPS would i get with a Gen 3? my neighbor seems very adamante that Gen 3 is SOOOOO much faster...

Anyone know if the Z77 chipset with the built-in Lucid MPV hybrid graphics booster offer significant performance increases for Physx games? <-- maybe a bit off on wording here, but I think you folks get what I'm aiming for...

Would stay away from Lucid. It's basically a cheat....

This Youtube post pretty much sums up what it is:

1) The technology of Virtu MVP creates PARTIAL frames but benchmarks software and FRAPS will count these as FULL.
2) The software is very difficult to setup and use.
3) The software is now no longer free ($65 for the full version).
*I ended up having to remove Virtu MVP as it&#65279; was far too buggy nor is there even a good manual.

Got the card today. Ran for a few hours

So far I have it clocked @:
GPU Clock: 1175mhz
Memory Clock: 1650mhz

I'm jelly! I am currently out of work due to having surgery. So i couldnt spoil myself THAT much ;).

And as far as Lucid, I heard it benefits you. But not sure by how much.

I also have a Question:

I have a Z68 Motherboard with PCI Gen 2... How much increase in FPS would i get with a Gen 3? my neighbor seems very adamante that Gen 3 is SOOOOO much faster...

Your neighbor is a fool. There is barely any difference.

Jorona- have a talk with him, he disagrees. It's extremely annoying.

Bp- not sure. There pretty solid. I have a 2560x1440 res monitor. Don't know if this card will ne enough for future games.

Tigerdirect never sent me the code voucher. Called them and they are going to email me one.

Show your friend this, it's not that PCIe 3.0 isn't faster as much as that the difference doesn't matter much with the performance of current cards.

Just an update on this Card:

+10% Power Control
1175 Core Clock
1650 Memory Clock
63 Deg. Idle in Skyrim with an hour of constant play.

No Hiccups or problems at all. No Fluctuations in Clock speeds either.
FPS any wheres from 42-61fps @ ultra and 2560x1440

So far I'm happy with it.

Edit: Fan Speed never went above 47%. I turned Power Delivery back to 0%. Didn't need it. Will try again later to see how many degs. it drops off the temp.

Last edited:
max out power control to +20% to avoid clock throttling. your core temps are quite good. try a demanding game like bf3 , sleeping dogs or farcry 3. the temps might be higher.

Rag- going to try BF3 here soon. I haven't played it in about 6 months. So 6gigs of updates needed.

The Clock stays @ 1175mhz constant. Does it still throttle even if i have MSI afterburner showing the hud in the corner?

Rag- going to try BF3 here soon. I haven't played it in about 6 months. So 6gigs of updates needed.

The Clock stays @ 1175mhz constant. Does it still throttle even if i have MSI afterburner showing the hud in the corner?

skyrim is not very demanding. its not even a dx11 game. so try bf3 as it pushes your chip to its limits. definitely you will have to max power control to +20% to avoid clock throttling in dx11 games like bf3, farcry 3, crysis 3, sleeping dogs. if you want to see if you are not throttling check benchmark scores in 3d mark 2013 firestrike extreme and heaven 4.0 extreme tesselation 8x aa. with power 0% and power +20%

I did the same upgrade last week, (GTX 460 728MB => 7970).

I find the driver sucks and I have some problem with my multi-monitor setup (need to get a mini-dp to DP cable). Otherwise, the card is pretty solid.

The thing I just found out about and absolutely love is RadeonPro. It's very easy to setup individual game profiles, even inject SweetFX (CTRL+S) or activate SMAA using keyboard shortcuts while the game is running.

Also the customizable HUD overlays are customizable (core temp, fan speed, fan %, core clock, etc.)

Try it out if you haven't!

RadeonPro : http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/
SweetFX (1.3): http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368880

Thanks Rag for the suggestion, hope I don't run BF3 and get kicked in the balls. :p

Arnon- Ill check it out. SweetFX looks awesome

Im really jealous, i just cant justify upgrading my overclocked 5850 to anything yet.

Okay, I ran BF3 @ Ultra settings in 2560x1440 Res.

OC settings were:

Core Clock: 1175Mhz
Mem Clock: 1650Mhz
Fan Speed: Auto (max fan speed hit was 56%)
Max Temp 71* C (Avg. was 67*)
Power Control: +20%

I played the Tank Mission in BF3 all the way through, no problems. Frame rate was any where from 39fps to 60fps

Okay, I ran BF3 @ Ultra settings in 2560x1440 Res.

OC settings were:

Core Clock: 1175Mhz
Mem Clock: 1650Mhz
Fan Speed: Auto (max fan speed hit was 56%)
Max Temp 71* C (Avg. was 67*)
Power Control: +20%

I played the Tank Mission in BF3 all the way through, no problems. Frame rate was any where from 39fps to 60fps

is that with mxaa? you should expect less fps in MP btw. but personally i just turn off mxaa and i lost almost no performance going from 1920x1200 to 2560x1440

Yes thats with 4x MSAA and 16x AF

I went to online and turned it to 2x MSAA. Ran fine @ 60fps. Just my internet connection sucks.

Last edited:
Currently @ 1200/1650 with +20% power. Played bf3 for 2 hours with no problems. Temp hit 70 deg. Fan never went over 50%

Back