Going From 2005FPW To Larger TN Panel

JustinSane

2[H]4U
Will I notice a dramatic drop in quality going from a 2005FPW to a 24" TN panel? I'm trying to decide if the extra 150-200 for the 2408WFP is worth it. I do mostly gaming but I watch movies as well, but I'm always right in front of the monitor when I do so viewing at a weird angle shouldn't be an issue.

In my opinion, viewing angle on TN panels is a huge problem even if you sit directly in front of it. The vertical viewing angle is so poor that the top of the screen will always appear noticeably darker than the bottom. General color quality of an IPS/VA is superior though I think this is less of an issue. I would far prefer using a smaller IPS/VA display than a larger TN panel. If you don't mind the wide gamut I would recommend getting the 2408WFP or the IPS HP LP2475w.

If you want an all purpose monitor for gaming, movie/video viewing, and other reg desktop work, and your screen is right in front of you, no reason not to just go TN unless you have cash to burn. The best TNs have the lowest input lag, fastest reactivity, and great color. Not PVA/MVA color, but generally darker blacks and they still look good. I effing love my G2400WD

I can say that I went from the 2005FPW to a SP2309W which is has the TN display and I am now looking to replace it and get a decent display. But I can tell you that once you have an IPS display it is noticeable to go to something else with inconstant colors and viewing angle issues.

Will I notice a dramatic drop in quality going from a 2005FPW to a 24" TN panel? I'm trying to decide if the extra 150-200 for the 2408WFP is worth it. I do mostly gaming but I watch movies as well, but I'm always right in front of the monitor when I do so viewing at a weird angle shouldn't be an issue.

If you mostly game then a TN should be fine. Even for movie watching a TN panel monitor should be sufficient. At 24-inches the viewing angle problem while looking straight ahead shouldn't be an issue (I think). That only starts happening at 26-inch and above I believe.

I'd suggest the V2400W or G2400WD (as someone else already suggested). Its 1:1 pixel mapping will come in handy for 1080 content.

If you play FPS, or other 3D games where the camera pans up and down, TNs are unacceptable because of the verticle gamma shift. For movies they are OK though.

I have my benq g2400wd next to my old 19" MVA and the 24" benq tn looks better next to it in every way.

TNs are great for gaming.... I notice ghosting on anything else but a fast tn, esp in games where I turn fast like fps. TF2 for example, hectic fast paced twitch gaming, sucks on anything but fast TNs or really good fast expensive other techs, which will cost 2x or more what my benq cost! But hey if you cant tolerate TNs then get somethign else, just keep in mind TN quality varies WILDLY between screens. The samsung T220/T240/Benq G2400WD, and several others, are TN in name but very high quality.

Modern TNs are not any faster than modern IPS, the gap has benn closed.

Keep your 2005FPW for work

buy a 24' TN for hardcore gaming

have a dual lcd setup :)

I have my benq g2400wd next to my old 19" MVA and the 24" benq tn looks better next to it in every way.

TNs are great for gaming.... I notice ghosting on anything else but a fast tn, esp in games where I turn fast like fps. TF2 for example, hectic fast paced twitch gaming, sucks on anything but fast TNs or really good fast expensive other techs, which will cost 2x or more what my benq cost! But hey if you cant tolerate TNs then get somethign else, just keep in mind TN quality varies WILDLY between screens. The samsung T220/T240/Benq G2400WD, and several others, are TN in name but very high quality.

I've been reading up on the G2400WD and I think I wanna give it a try. Just wish I could find a place I trust to buy it from. Has the monitor been discontinued?

Keep your 2005FPW for work

buy a 24' TN for hardcore gaming

have a dual lcd setup :)

Yea that's what I think I'm going to do.

Back