ghetto freenas box

shadowlord

2[H]4U
Hi all!

i've grown tired of the shortcomings of my netgear sc101 nas device.
after i discovered freenas i played around with it a bit and decided to build a pc to use my hdd's from the netgear nas with the freenas software.

main goal was to build a case for it which is functional, tidy looking and it shouldn't cost me anything. only parts that i had lying around where used.

which brings me to the case. a old mini atx case i was given for free some time ago.
the front bezel was dirty and ugly so i decided to make a new one, and ofcourse the ugly beige had to go. here is the already stripped case.
nasbox005.jpg

nasbox006.jpg

a shot of the fujitsu simens oem mobo i will use for this project:
nasbox001.jpg

intel celeron 400 :D
nasbox002.jpg

and now ladies and gentlemen, my über ghetto way to mount my pico psu that it clears the second stick of sdr ram.
nasbox003.jpg

nasbox004.jpg

i had to make a piece of plexi to close the hole from the old psu and to mount the 80mm exhaust fan.
nasbox007.jpg

the new front plate, with all holes already drilled, ready for painting it gloss black.
nasbox008.jpg

i painted the case with a can mate black i had still lying around.
nasbox009.jpg

here is the now black front bezel installed, with the intake fan in place.
nasbox010.jpg

nasbox011.jpg

rear of the intake fan right infront the place i intend to mount the hdd's
nasbox012.jpg

a little bit of cable origami
nasbox013.jpg

hdd cage installed:
nasbox014.jpg

i lined the case with noise dampening material:
nasbox015.jpg

a first test showed that the intake fan was way to loud even for my cellar. so it had to go!
i installed a scythe 80mm fan with variable speed.
nasbox018.jpg

finished (please excuse the dirt on the case)

nasbox016.jpg

nasbox017.jpg

nasbox019.jpg

the box is running fine, freenas is a great software.

i'm hunting for sdr memory on ebay now since i only have 256mb installed with one 100mhz and one 133mhz stick.

nice
Isn"t this thing way to pretty to hide in the basement?

I made mine in the biggest, ugliest case I had available, threw it in a cubbart, that's it
Just make sure you got healthy airflow
I use Naslite.
for me it's worth every cent of the 30$ I payed for it

How much TB does this baby hold?

TB? lol

i use 2 80gb samsung ide drives for 160gb of storage space.
in the old netgear nas i even had them mirrored. maybe with this more versatile setup i upgrade to more or larger drives.

Wow nice case there! i do like the entire stealth looking front :p

How many watt is that pico your using? and how much can it run? ive got a few cases around there that the PSU hole is all chewed up and stuff and i might just get one to use with a network box i wanna play with :p

awesome, I love the new minimalistic front bezel. its great seeing old hardware getting new life.

I like the simply design of the front.

Im still laughing about this...
nasbox004.jpg

Nice little box.
Did you find more ram?
I've got a pair of 512meg PC133 sticks sitting here on my desk. If you need them, make me an offer.

Back