GF3 vs. FX5200

CEpeep

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm trying to make a box out of spare parts and I have these two video cards lying around. I don't really intend to do any serious gaming on this box, but I'd like to use whichever card is the best. The FX is a standard, no-frills 5200 with 128MB of RAM, and the GF3 is a non-Ti with 64MB of RAM.

I would just go with the 5200 as it is directx 9 compliant (as if that mattered anyway)

Did you not read the OP? He has both the cards already and does not intend to do anything much gaming wise on it.

revan said:
Did you not read the OP? He has both the cards already and does not intend to do anything much gaming wise on it.
then it doesnt matter which card.
Pop both in and see which one you like better.

The 5200 is "slightly" faster. But at least it's a Direct X 9.0 compatible card. For all that's worth.

If you're not gaming, it doesn't really matter. Each card has its strengths, but they are all gaming related. The only exception is that the FX5200 is likely to support nView (dual-display, if it has multiple outputs), whereas the GF3 can only handle it if it's paired with another card
FYI:
FX5200 supports DX9, but it's slow as hell in this mode- you may just as well disable it.
GF3 is significantly faster in DX8, and will probably handle DX9 just fine in software. Remember that a GF3 is significantly faster than a GF4MX, and an MX is roughly equal to an FX5200.
Again, this only pertains to gaming.

I'd run both and see which one has the best 2D quality, I had a GF3 which had the worst 2D I've ever seen, all fuzzy and blurry.

GeForce3 is better. I had both, and the GF3 was much better. Only problem is that it has SM 1.0 and not >1.1. I think the 5200 has SM 1.1 or 2.0.

Well You have to ask yourself what you are going to do with this box.
Is it going to be a spear gaming PC, so you can play CS when a friend comes around?
Or is it going to be a workstation/websurfing PC?

Btw: what are the rest of the specs going to be?

EDIT: you might wan't to think about noise also. If one of them has a fan thwn you might wan't to choose the fanless one, so it is less noisey.

I used to have a Geforce 3 Ti200 64mb before I upgraded to my Geforce FX 5200 256mb

My Geforce3 could run anything I could throw at it (I beat Far Cry with that card, on 1024*768 resolution no less) and when HL2 and Doom3 came out the friend I sold it to ran it just fine. They both overclocked very well. My geforce3 went from 175mhz to 220mhz (Exceptionally good considering I was doing it with a passively cooled POS heatsink) and my 5200 went from 250mhz to 316mhz I guess these figures are quite irrelevant because the simple fact that going from a geforce3 to an FX 5200 is considered an upgrade explains it all. Hope the fact that I can't afford a $200 video card helps you :)

isn't it ridiculous? i'm in the same boat--can't afford a $200 card. the prices of 9800 pros should be at least down to $150 by now. but no, you are lucky to find them used or refurbished for that. then you look at nvidia and if you don't have pci-e (because you are poor again) then you have to pay more for a 6600gt (with no choice of getting a 6600 or 6200 mind you). so yeah, the options for budget video cards for gaming are pretty ridiculous these days. i'm stuck with my gainward geforce3 ti200 right now :)

Back