General purpose GPUs will rule the Earth

jww20

Weaksauce
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1432998/general-purpose-gpus-rule-earth

By Sylvie Barak
Wednesday, 8 July 2009, 09:24

GENERAL PURPOSE graphics processing units (GPGPUs) should take the market by storm by the fourth quarter of this year, according to analysts, who reckon this trend will boost AMD at the expense of Nvidia and Intel.

As Moore's Law propels the industry, it is becoming common to look to parallel software tools and applications to tap the potential of the multi-threaded, multi-cored microprocessors in PCs, servers and workstations.

Boffins from market research outfit, GC Research, reckon the age of disruptive parallel computing has arrived and has the potential to change the competitive landscape of the industry in a big way. Not that this should come as a surprise, computer scientists and chip firms have been talking about it for several years.

GC reckons that even AMD's purchase of ATI a few years back goes to prove how vital it was, and still is, for Daamit to push towards a more cooperative form of computing, not only for the benefit of consumer multimedia applications, but also for affordable scientific computing.

With both Win 7 and Apple's Snow Leopard due out on Q409, GC says the industry, and consumer market in particular, can prepare itself for a GPGPU explosion.

GC thinks AMD is best placed to take advantage of this trend, because its engineers have expertise in GPUs and CPUs. Of the three big chip firms, AMD would appear uniquely placed to bridge the world of graphics processors and X86 architecture, say GC's beard-strokers.

:: If AMD can deliver very powerful GPGPU based video cards, then they will bulldoze Intel's higher priced CPUs like the Core i7 and even i5s. Who will buy $200-$1000 Core i7 CPUs when they are demolished by a high performance GPGPU from AMD.

Would a GPGPU be x86 based or is it some kind of alternative to x86? If it's the second case, I think it would be pretty hard to replace CPUs with that.

Demolished using what software?
It wont be SLI/Crossfire compatible so it will have to be treated as a separate entity like a PhysX processor,
However its doubtful it will be running PhysX so I'm not sure what it will be compatible with in the mainstream.

Its going to be a while before good use of GPGPU is made.
I hardly think it will take the market by storm, especially not this year.

OpenCL, anyone? One standard API for programming x86, ATI GPUs, NVIDIA GPUs, Cell processor, you name it it's there.

List of companies onboard:
3DLABS, Activision Blizzard, AMD, Apple, ARM, Broadcom, Codeplay, Electronic Arts, Ericsson, Freescale, Fujitsu, GE, Graphic Remedy, HI, IBM, Intel, Imagination Technologies, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Motorola, Movidia, Nokia, NVIDIA, Petapath, QNX, Qualcomm, RapidMind, Samsung, Seaweed, S3, ST Microelectronics, Takumi, Texas Instruments and Toshiba

However fourth quarter of this year is too optimistic I'd say. Everybody and their mother is waiting on OpenCL to see how it'll turn out, and right now NVIDIA's the only one out the gate early with an implementation on their 8xxx (and later) GPUs. My guess is that we'll probably see this stuff take off within the next two years.

Adobe has started using GPU for Photoshop, Premiere, Acrobat and etc. GPU encoding will be next. I hope that WinRar will use GPU too. Almost everything that needs more processing power is moving onto GPU. I don't need a faster CPU for internet browsing and MS Office.

Adobe has started using GPU for Photoshop, Premiere, Acrobat and etc. GPU encoding will be next. I hope that WinRar will use GPU too. Almost everything that needs more processing power is moving onto GPU. I don't need a faster CPU for internet browsing and MS Office.

little late to the show.. gpu encoding exists.. and has existed for about a year now... winrar really doesnt need to use a gpu.. only when using best compression does cpu power matter.. outside of that winrar is mostly memory based..

this article is retarded.

I'm all for gpgpus, they're sweet. Their true dominance should come in supercomputing as its easy to rewrite the code fore opencl etc.

You still need x86 for 95% of programs, so this idea of GPGPU replacing the CPU next QUARTER is idiotic at best.

little late to the show.. gpu encoding exists.. and has existed for about a year now... winrar really doesnt need to use a gpu.. only when using best compression does cpu power matter.. outside of that winrar is mostly memory based..

?? Winrar does not decode at disk speed on my core 2 duo 2.4ghz.

Isn't Inq the place that predicts the imminent demise of Nvidia, and meteoric rise of AMD/ATI about once a month? I don't think I would trust them to predict dust in a dust storm much less anything that has to do with GPUs.

?? Winrar does not decode at disk speed on my core 2 duo 2.4ghz.

never has and never will.. no matter what.. like i said.. its all memory related depending on the compression used to either compress or uncompress the rar file(s).. it takes the same amount of time to unrar a 2 gig rar file on my x4 940 @ 3.5ghz running ddr2 800 ram as it does on my x2 BE-2350 @ 3.05ghz using ddr2 800 ram..

Back