[FS/FT] Three DVD-RW drives (two 5.25", one portable)

JaYp146

Supreme [H]ardness
In the beginning, there were three completely functional DVDRW drives. Unfortunately, all three have developed some small quirks over the years.

First off, a LG GSA-4084N (DVD-RAM/DVD-RW) in external USB enclosure. $14 shipped.
Comes with both USB cables necessary for DVD burning.​
Temperamental - reads just fine about 50% of the time, YMMV. Pressure on the bezel itself seems to helps read accuracy. Likely an easy fix - drive is easily removed from the USB enclosure. Windows detects the drive no matter what media is inserted.​
Previously owned by my cousin, who installed it himself. Even if it doesn't work for you, you're getting a free USB notebook DVDRW enclosure!​

Secondly, a Samsung TS-H552 16x DVD-RW (IDE) drive. $4 + shipping.
Powers up, ejects, and is detected by Windows without an issue.​
Any media that's put into the drive results in a "no media inserted" message. I've been told the laser lens probably needs be to be cleaned.​
Would fix it myself, but don't have any use for IDE DVD burners.​

Finally, a LITE-ON SHM-165H6S 16x DVD-RW (IDE) drive. $4 + shipping.

Reads and burns with excellent accuracy, especially for a 5 year old drive.​
The door itself has a couple issues - in order for the button to work, a disc must be in the drive, but even then, it's not guaranteed to eject. Sometimes, it refuses to eject all together.​
HOWEVER, it still manually ejects with a paper clip successfully, 100% of the time! Discs read and burn without a problem.​

OR

Buy all three for $25 shipped!

TL;DR - each drive has quirks, but most can easily be fixed by someone with the time and patience to tinker. YMMV, of course.

PM me here with any questions you might have. Email me at JP<dot>Suchocki<at>Gmail. Heat is under JayP146 (92-0-0).

Thanks for looking! :)

Last edited:
Free bump for good communication. Good luck with your sale.

Last edited:
Back