Fixing to build a new pc

jono80

n00b
Im fixing to build a new pc.. let me know what u think of the parts i have picked out and if you have any suggestions or changes i would appreciate it.. PC will be used for photo editing, some video editing, and occasionally some games.. I know i have went a little over board on components but i might as well get what i want the first time then having to upgrade later. Anyways im open to any suggestions or changes.

EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-920 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

CORSAIR CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler

2 - EVGA GeForce GTX 275 017-P3-1175-AR Video Card

2 - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

2 - Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window

Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

LITE-ON Black 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support

Looks mostly good to me. However, I recommend that you swap the WD Green drive for a Caviar Black. Green drives are a bit slow, and the faster speed of a Black will be very useful to you for photo and video editing, as well as when it comes to load times for games.

I've got no issues with my GP's for photo/video editing, but I'm also a dinosaur and still use 5400 RPM drives, so do consider that, GP's are also nice and quiet

I'd also drop the VelociRaptor, get an SSD if you want speed

Have you bought everything yet? Because I see a few glaring issues with your parts selections:

- Why Nvidia? Why two video cards? Unless you're trying to max out everything at 1920x1200 or greater resolution, you don't really need CF/SLI. Likewise, the HD5850 outperforms the GTX 275 for around the same price range.

- If you stick with one (single GPU) video card, you can buy a lower powered PSU like the Corsair HX650. Even some cheaper 750W or 850W PSUs (with over 60A combined on the 12V rails) can handle a CF/SLI setup (or one dual-GPU card like the HD5970).

- Get RAM that runs at 1.5V. The Corsiar kit you're considering isn't really bad, but lower voltage RAM can help in overclocking, if you end up going that route.

- I don't recommend the VelociRaptor as the recently released hard drives with 500GB drive platters (and even the older ones with 320GB/333GB drive platters) perform only 10% slower, at worst, than the VR. You could buy two (Samsung Spinpoint F3) 500GB HDDs and put them together in RAID 0 for less than you would spend on one 150GB VR.

- Likewise, the Caviar Green HDDs make great storage/backup HDDs but they're horrible if you're going to constantly access them.

I havnt bought anything yet.. I was planning on ordering everything monday morning.

AND CAVIAR BLACKS ARE LOUD!

Noise is very subjective. Personally, I don't consider Caviar Blacks to be very loud. Noisy, sure; but not very, lose-your-hearing-over-a-prolonged-period loud.

That said, if you want a comparatively quieter hard drive, take a look at the Samsung Spinpoint F3 series HDDs.

I havnt bought anything yet.. I was planning on ordering everything monday morning.

Which games are you playing? At what level of visual qualilty (settings)? At what resolution?

Are you going to overclock?

I think im going to replace the 2 275's for 1 5870 now..

No overclocking.

As far as games.. i will play dirt 2 and MW2. which will not be played that often..

mostly i will be doing video editing and picture editing.. So i will need the hard drive space..

Ive been thinking of replacing the VelociRaptor with a SSD for my OS which will be Win7. As far as SSD goes i have never used one but id be looking for soemthing between 80-120gig.

I also will change the Caviar Green to Blacks or the GPs.. Ive always had good luck with WD. Ive never used a samsung though so i will look into it possibly.

Last edited:
Here is an updated list of my cart at newegg..

LITE-ON Black 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support - Retail

Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

2 - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
or
2 - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

XFX HD-587A-ZND9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB XXX Edition 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported ... - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible ... - Retail

2 - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C9 - Retail

EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler - Retail

Still need to pick out a couple 120mm fans for the top exhaust on the case too..

changed the 1000HX to the 750HX power supply. My initial plans were to build 2 gtx 275s or 285s so the 1000hx would of been better for that im guessing.. with one video card i believe the 750hx will be enough

Again, drop the VelociRaptor. If you want a noticeable performance boost from a 7200RPM HDD, you might as well go with an SSD. The Intel X25-M G2 (or Gen. 2) SSDs are arguably the best for single SSD operations, but they're comparatively more expensive than other brands. Many Indilinx-based SSDs, like the OCZ Vertex series, work fine on their own but perform much better in a two-drive RAID 0 configuration. I'll leave it up to you to determine whether or not they're worth the money.

That said, look for the Samsung Spinpoint F3 hard drives. The 500GB model is HD502HJ and the 1TB model is HD103SJ. If you can't find them at NewEgg, look for them at other retailers, like Amazon, ZipZoomFly, or Provantage (among others).

For 120mm case fans, look for either the Scythe "Slipstreams" or the Yate Loon D12-series.

A 750 watt PSU is overkill for one HD5870 -- you can get by with a cheaper PSU. That said, however, if you don't need a modular PSU, you can find a couple of good deals... like the Seasonic S12D 750 Silver for $100 with free shipping.

Now is something of an awkward time because of the new SATA 6 GB & USB 3 interfaces recently made available. And because you mention "video editing", I will suggest that you consider getting a m/b that has these implemented and not buying all of the HDDs now. I would also hold off on the SSD & wait for SATA 6 GB SSDs to come out to use it as the editing drive ... call it the scratch drive or work drive. As projects are completed move them to a HDD.

Having said this, I do not currently use any video editing s/w, but I have and the drive channel was the restriction meaning the drive and/or the interface slowed things down the most.

Depending on how your editing s/w can use RAM (I think you are indicating that you are planning on 12 GB?), this could be a factor. Although if you are like me, projects will grow so that eventually the drive will be getting hammered and will eventually become the system restriction. Maybe not tho & working with a new faster system could change what becomes important with respect to drives.

And for using the SSD for the OS, how often do you boot versus file read/writes of video files?

Also, if somehow the system is CPU bound (restricted for thru put) you could overclock AND the newer m/bs are supposed to be compatible with the hexa-core CPUs scheduled to come out in a couple of months. Your m/b may be, I just have not checked.

Last, CES 2010 is soon & some manufacturers could be planning announcements for STAT 6 GB/USB 3 drives that you would be interested in.

Drop the Corsair H2O cooler. From reviews, it's no better than a top air cooler, so go with a TRUE or Megahalem.

Drop the Corsair H2O cooler. From reviews, it's no better than a top air cooler, so go with a TRUE or Megahalem.

The same thing could be said of a fair number of water cooling solutions, they aren't going to freeze your machine, we're usually only talking a few degrees here and there anywhere. The H50 is a good simple CPU water cooling solution. But its not going to you radically lower temps.

The same thing could be said of a fair number of water cooling solutions, they aren't going to freeze your machine, we're usually only talking a few degrees here and there anywhere.
A good watercooling setup will still perform considerably better than a high-end air cooler or the H50. The real question is whether or not one would actually benefit from the lower temperatures, and that's more of a crapshoot since it depends on how good of a chip you have.

Post from and earlier thread:
Nothing like water cooling, in my opinion. Don't even think water cooling. More like high-end air cooling with a twist. I only open my case to admire it.
The H50 performs about on par with an Ultra-120, although it probably gives some ground. The reason for its existence, though, is not "water-cooling-level" performance. It is nearly silent, requires no maintenance, provides very good air-cooling-level performance, and fits into cases of nearly any form factor.

I agree with tiraides... on everything. And in case you didn't see it, I'll quote the most important part...
Again, drop the VelociRaptor. If you want a noticeable performance boost from a 7200RPM HDD, you might as well go with an SSD. The Intel X25-M G2 (or Gen. 2) SSDs are arguably the best for single SSD operations, but they're comparatively more expensive than other brands. Many Indilinx-based SSDs, like the OCZ Vertex series, work fine on their own but perform much better in a two-drive RAID 0 configuration. I'll leave it up to you to determine whether or not they're worth the money.

Vraptor isn't worth it at all. SSD or stick to standard 7200RPM drives. Here you can see my VRaptor get pwned: http://ssd.alphaq.org

... And for using the SSD for the OS, how often do you boot versus file read/writes of video files? ...

So an SSD only shows performance improvements when booting?!?! WTF?!?! :eek:
o.O.gif
If your entire OS is running off of the SSD, it will be much faster than any mechanical drive as far as running the OS goes. For video writes/reads, thats what the Caviar Black or F3 is for. :rolleyes:

i ended up going with a 60gig OCZ Vertex Turbo SSD for my OS and just a samsung Spinpoint F1 320gb for my program files..

I didnt order my parts today but i am waiting to see if newegg gets a 5970 in stock in the next couple days.. if so i will go with that video card. and if they dont ill get the 5870

Most of my parts came in.. Im waiting on the video card.. but here is how it sits as of right now.. im happy with it.. i need to send the dvd driv back b/c they sent me an IDE drive instead of a SATA. I prob wasnt paying attention when i ordered it though... Video card should be here monday.

img_0075.jpg

Yeah im ready to see how long it takes to install windows 7 on the SSD.. I ordered a 3pin extension for the corsair pump plug b/c i dont like how it looks going over the ram either.. so i can hide that a little better..

Back