First HTPC, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

elektronisch

2[H]4U
Here is what I've come up with so far. If someone who has some experience with HTPC builds comment on what they think of it. Really, all I'm looking for is something that can handle bluray @ 1080p, graphics + sound through HDMI, and cheap.
Not going to game on the system, just your normal web browsing and watching movies. Below is what I've added to the cart so far.

13-131-318-02.jpg

ASUS M3N78-VM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

20-220-144-10.jpg

Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC22G6400LLK - Retail

19-103-688-02.jpg

AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX240OCGQBOX - Retail
27-106-325-S01.jpg

LITE-ON Black 4X Blu-ray Reader SATA Model iHOS104-06 - OEM
11-204-035-02.jpg

nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC 5000B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail
80-101-002-Z01.jpg

Rosewill Windows Vista Certified Media center Infrared Remote Control

17-139-008-13.jpg

CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail
Approx. $375 shipped

Last edited:
It just depends on what you want to spend. If you're trying to stick to a tight budget just go with the cheapest one that is functional. This is the cheapest case that I like :

nMEDIAPC HTPC 5000B.

Only problem is that it's a little constricted in size. But I take it from the one you already picked that won't be a problem.

I would change the mobo to one with the 8200 as it handles 1080p/audio better

ASUS M3N78-VM is the way to go for your motherboard. It will do 7.1 audio over hdmi. Even if you don't need that now, you will want it eventually.

I bought that case because of the price and the included power supply, with the same reservations about it's looks. All my other components are black, and it killed me that the htpc was silver.

The case is a pain in the butt to build, but it works fine once it's built. Took me longer than I had planned to get everything in and situated. I couldn't get the motherboard i/o shield on, the case needs to be another half inch longer, or maybe I was missing something. Also, you have to take out the lcd screen to change the hdd, it isn't hard, but it isn't worth it if you are going to change the hdd out frequently. Finally, the optical drive was a bit tricky to get in, and forced me to bend the wires on the 24 pin connector more than I liked at the time. It sits right above the connector and leaves little clearance, but I haven't had any issues, so I'm sure it is fine. So ya, if you are willing to make some small sacrifices for a cheap case, this one is great. If you are looking to make everything perfect and avoid any headaches, go elsewhere.

Once I got it in my entertainment center, I actually liked how it looked. The silver part is a nice piece of metal and the two tone looks great. For the price, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, except this time I'd budget an extra hour or two for the build over what a fresh build normally takes me.

Last edited:
ASUS M3N78-VM is the way to go for your motherboard. It will do 7.1 audio over hdmi. Even if you don't need that now, you will want it eventually.

I bought that case because of the price and the included power supply, with the same reservations about it's looks. All my other components are black, and it killed me that the htpc was silver.

The case is a pain in the butt to build, but it works fine once it's built. Took me longer than I had planned to get everything in and situated. I couldn't get the motherboard i/o shield on, the case needs to be another half inch longer, or maybe I was missing something. Also, you have to take out the lcd screen to change the hdd, it isn't hard, but it isn't worth it if you are going to change the hdd out frequently. Finally, the optical drive was a bit tricky to get in, and forced me to bend the wires on the 24 pin connector more than I liked at the time. It sits right above the connector and leaves little clearance, but I haven't had any issues, so I'm sure it is fine. So ya, if you are willing to make some small sacrifices for a cheap case, this one is great. If you are looking to make everything perfect and avoid any headaches, go elsewhere.

Once I got it in my entertainment center, I actually liked how it looked. The silver part is a nice piece of metal and the two tone looks great. For the price, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, except this time I'd budget an extra hour or two for the build over what a fresh build normally takes me.

Will my AM3 processor work with this motherboard? Also, I would need to swap the ram out with DDR2 800 right?

Fixed the ram, added LCD, added Remote Control

Could someone recommend a wireless keyboard with a touch pad (preferably with rechargeable batteries)

Also, I have two 250gb drives I plan on using. I may trade them for a lower RPM drive (less power consumption).

I have that case and like it; it isn't cramped with a mATX board and has good airflow with room for a lot of drives (I have 2 SATA drives in mine). I wouldn't put anything on top of it, though. The HD cage comes right out of the top making it easy to work on stuff in it. There's also a good amount of room under the drive cages to route wiring making it easy to have a nice clean install with all of the wires tucked out of the way. The only knock on the case is that it has a pretty big footprint for a mATX case...

Is the LCD worth getting? I thought about getting one when I got mine but it was out of stock...

For wireless keyboard, I bought the logitech bluetooth ps3 keyboard - gamestop had them 'used', but the one I got still had the plastic wrapping on the keyboard. I tried both a microsoft and a logitech usb wireless keyboard and they just didn't have enough range and would give me all kinds of frustrations, not to mention the lack of touchpad. The ps3 keyboard never has an issue (just need a cheap usb BT dongle), though it doesn't have all of the windows shortcut keys.

Last edited:
Is the LCD worth getting? I thought about getting one when I got mine but it was out of stock...
I have no idea, but it was a measly 20-30 bucks. http://www.nmediapc.com/prolcd.htm
For wireless keyboard, I bought the logitech bluetooth ps3 keyboard - gamestop had them 'used', but the one I got still had the plastic wrapping on the keyboard. I tried both a microsoft and a logitech usb wireless keyboard and they just didn't have enough range and would give me all kinds of frustrations, not to mention the lack of touchpad. The ps3 keyboard never has an issue (just need a cheap usb BT dongle), though it doesn't have all of the windows shortcut keys.
Excellent find. I'll buy one from amazon or ebay.

Still a waste of money no matter how you slice it.

Just to flashy for me. I don't see a use for it, but heck some people like it. I'll admit if I ever saw it, in real life, I'd think it's pretty cool. But it's not for me.

My processor worked in the board out of the box.

I'd maybe hold off on a keyboard, and just get a mouse. Once you get it setup, you'll probably only ever use the remote anyway. And if you do need a keyboard, I find the on screen one to suffice with a mouse for just getting to a driver site here and there.

Build looks good otherwise.

Is it just me, or do you have an AM3 processor and an AM2/AM2+ Motherboard paired up?

Will that work? I don't ask to be snide, I ask because I will be biting part of your setup for my new BTPC (Bedroom Theater PC).

Is it just me, or do you have an AM3 processor and an AM2/AM2+ Motherboard paired up?

Will that work? I don't ask to be snide, I ask because I will be biting part of your setup for my new BTPC (Bedroom Theater PC).

Yes, of course it's going to work.

I thought the same until I did some research. I've read from multiple players the proc works. It is even bundled with the motherboard on some places like directron.com.

Like on some cases with their PCI brackets, I believe there's a little piece of metal there that you have to push out in order to install the crappy LCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back