EVGA GTX 580 FTW $699

vjcsmoke

Supreme [H]ardness
Anybody think this card is a little overpriced? I think these should be $599 at the most. A good waterblock only costs around $100. Yet I can't find these in stock anywhere. :p Hopefully the 6970 brings down prices of the 580 to reasonable levels.

The price also reflects the cost of having a lifetime warranty. Yes you can add a waterblock to a reg 580 for cheaper, but you lose your warranty on a $500 videocard.

The price also reflects the cost of having a lifetime warranty. Yes you can add a waterblock to a reg 580 for cheaper, but you lose your warranty on a $500 videocard.

Yep, and this is a preinstalled, truly single-slot solution.

No you don't. Not with EVGA. They do want the stock cooler reapplied if you RMA it though.

The price also reflects the cost of having a lifetime warranty. Yes you can add a waterblock to a reg 580 for cheaper, but you lose your warranty on a $500 video card.

This is not true. Installing your own aftermarket heatsink on an evga product is fine with them. You just have to put the stock cooler back on if you need to send it in for RMA.

So yes 699 is too much. Right now you can get the evga oc version for 500 with the 10% off coupon and then get a water block for it for around 100 bucks.

Save money and do it yourself or if you are not confident in your skills or have the extra cash pay the 699. I am sure it is a kick ass card. What is 700 anyway spend 1400 and get 2 for the ultimate surround setup. :D

You don't lose warranty swapping a fullcover block on an EVGA card, just keep the OEM one around. And $200 for a swiftech block, no thanks.

Its watercooled, what did you expect. Those water blocks are WAY more expensive than a fan based system. Plus if you can shell out that kind of scratch for a video card, you can not wipe your ass with money for one day and get the nicer model.

I think it's fairly priced. Buy a water block and get a shop to install it for you. It might come up to around the same cost. Their time costs them money, your money.

Granted, if they're selling it, there is a market, maybe not you, but someone out there sees value in this.

It's like seeing a pile of wood and saying that should be the same price as a built house. haha, completely over exagerating.

Whether it's a fair price is something the market will determine.

I look at products like this as being for people that want the bragging rights of having a watercooled videocard without any of the hassle.

I'm waiting for the custom versions of this card to begin appearing. Although the stock vapor chamber looks very nice.

I agree that you can save around 50-75 bucks by installing the waterblock yourself. I am currently using 3 custom blocks from Danger Den. It took me 15 minutes to install each block after taking off the fan assembly thanks to their video..easy peasy. Plus you can use a decent thermal paste and run around 2-3 degrees cooler.

That single slot card is sexy though. Its looks like a stock 8800gt sans the fan but inside beats the heart of a monster

Back