EVGA GTX 280 arriving tomorrow

renegade8

n00b
Well I am getting my evga gtx 280 ftw tomorrow. I cannot believe Dell got them in so soon. 454 after mir. Started to cancel to get a vanilla for $389, I think this is the better choice I hope :)

Does the evga precision software work well for noob overclockers like me?

Well I am getting my evga gtx 280 ftw tomorrow. I cannot believe Dell got them in so soon. 454 after mir. Started to cancel to get a vanilla for $389, I think this is the better choice I hope :)

Yes, everything is just a bunch of sliders. If you have any questions you can just ask them in the Precision Support Forum, or just ask me. :)

GTX280 at $454 is a bit overpriced. At that priced it would have been better to spend the extra $45 and grab a 4870x2. You could have got the reference gtx280 model for $389 and just flashed it to EVGA's FTW bios or BFG's OCX bios.

GTX280 at $454 is a bit overpriced. At that priced it would have been better to spend the extra $45 and grab a 4870x2. You could have got the reference gtx280 model for $389 and just flashed it to EVGA's FTW bios or BFG's OCX bios.

While thats perfectly possible i strongly suggest against flashing any videocard to a certain BIOS clocked speed simply because it could cause more issues than it solves especially if you have a program like Precision Tuning Utility that already does it for you with less risks.

While thats perfectly possible i strongly suggest against flashing any videocard to a certain BIOS clocked speed simply because it could cause more issues than it solves especially if you have a program like Precision Tuning Utility that already does it for you with less risks.

qft, also not like ntune evga precision is awesome! it clocks at the speed where you oce'd too when you log into windows so you dont have to go back in and raise up the setting again, although what sucks for me is that i can't test if its stable*test func not working* oh and some tip this is how i oc, each time i oc 5mhz higher on the core clock each time and afterwards i run some games for a few hours to test if its stable then if it is i keep on raising it and then after im 10mhz higher after the original speed i will go and raise the memory clock 5mhz and when you reach a system hang over just lower it back down 5mhz. On the graphics card thats a pretty good price for a gtx 280 but as someone else said i would of gotten a 5870x2 if it was just $50 more. Oh yea and Russianhaxor my new evga 9800gtx+ pwns :) evga ftw hehe

Be sure to post what you think about your 280! ;)

It is a sweet card... :p

I have the DangerDen Tieton, i havent installed it yet but ive heard pretty good things.

I picked up my vanilla EVGA GTX 280 for $350 after rebate, been a long time ATI junky but the card even exceeded my expactations, I love it. Had to put my Q6600 back into my gaming rig to keep from bottle necking it.

omg this is the most beautiful packaging I have ever seen for a vid card. Can't do anything with it while at work

even worse, didn't tell my girl I bought it so now I have to hide it to get in the house and install it. The things I do for gaming LOL

God forbid you don't hook up the 6 and 8 pin power connectors, and it starts to squeal!!

even worse, didn't tell my girl I bought it so now I have to hide it to get in the house and install it. The things I do for gaming LOL

ahahahaha i do that all the time! thats funny you said that.

God forbid you don't hook up the 6 and 8 pin power connectors, and it starts to squeal!!

well the great guys over at corsair supplied me with the 8pin connector for my hx620 plus the box says it has a converter. So I think I will be ok. The sucks part is have not been able to do anything with the card all weekend. LOL Oh well after tomorrow it will be installed, fresh vista 64 and hopefully cod4 for a good test on Tuesday

well the great guys over at corsair supplied me with the 8pin connector for my hx620 plus the box says it has a converter. So I think I will be ok. The sucks part is have not been able to do anything with the card all weekend. LOL Oh well after tomorrow it will be installed, fresh vista 64 and hopefully cod4 for a good test on Tuesday

Strap in for a good ride!! :D:cool:

Ya i just popped in my new 260s i got back from stepping up my 9800s over the weekend. But completely forgot about the "issue" vista has when installing with 4gb of memory. Just remembed it today so when i get home i can actually test them.

Anyone know if i'll have any issues with sli on my 680i as opposed to a 780. I know most people say the pci 1.1 isnt fully saturated, but i have my doubts.

Waiting for my EVGA GTX 280 SC...will arrive tomorrow along with a new PSU (hopefully) so I can run it. Have a GTX 260 core 216 sitting here that I want to install, but ended up getting the GTX 280 instead so in the box it stays to be sold.

I've bought four video cards in the past two years, and the only one my wife knows about is the last one ... the eVGA 9600GSO for $36 AR. What do you think she'd say about the $440 8800 I bought last year ??

I always sneak stuff in through the laundry room, then hide the boxes under my workshelf or in a cabinet. Its getting tough to explain the countless rebates that show up at the house, so I've started having them sent to my work addy. It ain't easy keeping eight rigs updated to a respectable level.
;)

I've bought four video cards in the past two years, and the only one my wife knows about is the last one ... the eVGA 9600GSO for $36 AR. What do you think she'd say about the $440 8800 I bought last year ??

I always sneak stuff in through the laundry room, then hide the boxes under my workshelf or in a cabinet. Its getting tough to explain the countless rebates that show up at the house, so I've started having them sent to my work addy. It ain't easy keeping eight rigs updated to a respectable level.
;)

wow 8? Man I am just trying to keep the main rig going, let alone 8. LOL

Get out more ?? You mean just buy locally from the stores instead of the 'Egg ? :)

Nahh, its been my hobby since '90, and I almost sorta justify each PCs existence to make it feel worthwhile. Some are clearly not necessary, nor higher end, but they all serve some purpose around the house.

1) Main gamer - no explanation necessary
2) Spare gamer (Vista 64 testbed)
3) Workbench rig - internet access to troubleshhot customer PCs on the other side of the bench)
4) HTPC - not used since we switched from cable to satellite. It needs upgraded
5) Spare parts rig - built to show some budding PC gamer friends how to assemble a PC.
6) Home office - one of my retired PCs that is now used by my wife. Upgraded 2x in 2 years without her even knowing about it. I wait until she is away for 3+ hours, then swap the whole thing out.
7) WHS - after 18+ years of having no backups, I spent the $600 and now have a full, daily backup of every PC on the network. Verrry useful, and worth every penny.
8) Laptop - only used for vacation trips.
9) Retired gamer PC - was in service until last Fall. Sold this past weekend to one of the kids who watched me build #5 above. He hasn't officially paid me yet .. :mad:

http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.aspx?member=33409

So there, I am down to 8. That's perfectly acceptable .. isn't it ?

Back