Dumb question - Windows 7

Proxy

Pumpkin Ghost
I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and two 24 inch IPS screens with my sig rig. Out of all of my computer knowledge I can't seem to figure one simple little thing out. How do I get a screen cap when hitting the "Print Screen" key of just whatever is on my primary monitor? I know I'm missing something silly here. For example, I can't really use the snip tool to take a screencap of a full screen game. Whenever I do use the print screen key is takes a cap of the desktop of the two monitors together. It won't even show what full screen program is running, just the desktop.

I'm confused - sounds like you have two problems?

The first is "I don't like it taking a picture of both monitors as opposed to just the primary" I'd argue the opposite. Why on earth wouldn't you want the whole thing (both). If you're trying to get just one at that point - just crop it in paint? I mean, on all my PCs, when I hit the print screen button, it just copies the image to the clipboard. I still have to open up paint, ctrl-v, and save the file. Do you have another print screen program installed that's changing that behavior? Short answer - MSPaint, crop, save.

The second is confusing me - you're not getting the windows, just the desktop? I've never had that problem either - it usually captures exactly what I'm looking at on the screen... If you're running a full screen game - and trying to hit prnt screen - that's probably not going to work. The game itself usually has a built in keystroke that will take a screenshot of the game. Or you'll need a third party application to do that for you.

Does that help? :)

Just to help here, If the game is running in STEAM key is F12 to take a screenshot in-game, most games normally have the default set to F11 or F12.

I'm confused - sounds like you have two problems?

The first is "I don't like it taking a picture of both monitors as opposed to just the primary" I'd argue the opposite. Why on earth wouldn't you want the whole thing (both). If you're trying to get just one at that point - just crop it in paint? I mean, on all my PCs, when I hit the print screen button, it just copies the image to the clipboard. I still have to open up paint, ctrl-v, and save the file. Do you have another print screen program installed that's changing that behavior? Short answer - MSPaint, crop, save.

The second is confusing me - you're not getting the windows, just the desktop? I've never had that problem either - it usually captures exactly what I'm looking at on the screen... If you're running a full screen game - and trying to hit prnt screen - that's probably not going to work. The game itself usually has a built in keystroke that will take a screenshot of the game. Or you'll need a third party application to do that for you.

Does that help? :)

Let me clarify: So on my dual monitor setup, when I am in a game, and I hit the print screen key, if I close out and ctrl-v into Paint, let's say, it will show only the desktop of both screens in their side by side config. Not the game that was running full screen and selected. What I want is to hit the print screen key and crtl-v and have it paste in whatever program was selected, in this game, my game. Just like if it were a single monitor setup.

Just to help here, If the game is running in STEAM key is F12 to take a screenshot in-game, most games normally have the default set to F11 or F12.

This just happens to be the ONE game I don't have on STEAM. :p

Back