Dell U2311H

Thank you limitedaccess! Much appreciated, now I'm waiting for it to go on sale again, then I'll go for it knowing that it'll fit for sure.

All connected to one GPU?

Can anyone else answer how to connect 3x Dell U2311H in an Eyefinity setup (xfire 6950's)?

One poster mentioned one of them needs to be connected via display port.

Are the remaining monitors connected via DVI on the same graphics card?

So, one 6950 will have all the monitors connected to it (one via DP, two via DVI)?

Yes, Eyefinity drives all the monitors off of a single card. Surround drives them off of multiple cards (going past 2 monitors). It cannot work any other way, lol.

Maybe we should start a new thread. :D

I do not think it is the video card itself btw: My brother and I both have a nearly identical PCs (mainboard is an Asus P7P55D-E Pro OS is Win7 Professional 64Bit) and we both changed from Radeon HD to Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 and the screens turned to standby just as they should.
However, we decided to switch to new SSDs and HDDs and decided to update our Mainboard-Bios to the newest version while we were at it. Then we installed Windows 7 Pro 64 (again) and the U2311H would not turn to standby from there on.

I am very sure that I changed nothing in the Dell's OSD, as I reset it without success. I also am relatively sure that I had not changed anything else in Windows 7 or the Bios as well.

I also wonder if Windows or the driver can influence the screen's behavior at all when the PC is turned of. I do not think so. Therefor it still may be the monitor.

Hey Urbi,
My monitor is finally going to sleep!

For me, what solved the problem was simply connecting the screen via DVI instead of VGA. It still doesn't explain why other computers work just fine with it via VGA...

Hope you find a quick and simple solution too!

Someone here who has recently adquired this monitor has received a02 revision? im looking to buy this monitor and want to know if a02 revision has solved the problems this monitor panel has with tinting and bleeding.

Seconding this. Anyone with an A02 (or is it A03) care to post?

I have an A02 version built in Week 46. Purchased on 24th December 2010.

Have no problems. But then I'm not finicky since I don't do any photography or video editing. Here are some pictures.

u2311-1.jpg

u2311-2.jpg

DSC04630.jpg

DSC04632.jpg

DSC04634.jpg

My monitor is suppose to be here any minute. I'll take a look at the revision model and see what problems I can find, if any.

my replacement just arrived and it is a "improvement". i changed the color setting to match the old and have it side by side for this comparison. movie experience is mix, while i dont have the obvious glow at the corner i do get less color and brightness on the new one. i guess the color should improve once the florescent tube warm up some more. still A01 originally ordered in mid dec.

Any comments on FPS gaming with these? I did read the reviews on how the ghosting effect is lessened with these monitors, but any first hand experience?

Any comments on FPS gaming with these? I did read the reviews on how the ghosting effect is lessened with these monitors, but any first hand experience?

i did do a light gaming on these over the weekend and i did not notice any ghosting but then again i did not look for those. Played Call of duty 4 and Black ops. A side question, does anyone know how to get the usb working? i though it was plug n play but it seem to be needing driver or something.

just got mine with terrible back light bleed and a stuck pixel. revision a01. it's going back.

i can't believe their quality control, if there is any(?)

just got mine with terrible back light bleed and a stuck pixel. revision a01. it's going back.

i can't believe their quality control, if there is any(?)

By all means, send it back. The only way they will improve QC is when returns and refurbs cost them more than proper QC. I got a near perfect A00, but it seems QC issues are somewhat common.

received my monitor today, its a rev a01, and so far, ive noticed no dead pixels, some purple to bluish tinting on both sides of the panel with a black screen up, and some backlight bleeding on all four corners. top right being far worse than the rest. now to decide if i should ship it back for a replacement :\

How is the Eyefinity experience for you guys? Any tearing or ghosting?

Also, how are you connecting it up? (how many dp <-> dp, dp <-> dvi, dvi <-> dvi) etc

definite tearing playing crysis @3510x1920/60hz/Vsync enabled with d3doverride

is this just a trait native to eyefinity?

connected via 3x mini DP > DP

I got mine from dell.ca yesterday, and I'm must say I'm very happy with it. The monitor I got was made in December 2010 with a Rev. A01 tag on the back. It was shipped last Thursday. I'm going to test some games and movies today.

definite tearing playing crysis @3510x1920/60hz/Vsync enabled with d3doverride

is this just a trait native to eyefinity?

connected via 3x mini DP > DP

vsync. im assuming you are under 60fps. I fucking hate vsync it makes the input laggy and I seem to get more tearing with it on. lol.

I also have some orange/yellow + blue/purple tinting! Mine is built on Nov. 2010, Rev A01. =( I might send this one back if people are actually getting ones without tinting.

Here is a pic of the issue: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/V9YBtE1ZEVMjJgdcHGIEcg?feat=directlink
same rev and mfg date here and i also have the same issue sans the orange tint, backlight bleeding is visible but manageable.

im also thinking about sending it back...

edit: nevermind there is an orange tint :\

and it looks like you just quoted me on slickdeals xD

I also have some orange/yellow + blue/purple tinting! Mine is built on Nov. 2010, Rev A01. =( I might send this one back if people are actually getting ones without tinting.

Here is a pic of the issue: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/V9YBtE1ZEVMjJgdcHGIEcg?feat=directlink
That's perfectly normal, it's not tinting, it's IPS glow. You will get this on any current IPS monitor. Returning it for a replacement is pointless as you'll get another with the exact same "problem".

That's perfectly normal, it's not tinting, it's IPS glow. You will get this on any current IPS monitor. Returning it for a replacement is pointless as you'll get another with the exact same "problem".
my 2209wa didnt have this problem :confused:

my 2209wa didnt have this problem :confused:
So if you put up a completely black image/screen and view your 2209wa at an acute angle in a dark room (ideally with no light - like in T07N's photo), you're saying it doesn't have IPS glow? I find that pretty hard to believe.

Just a note, the glow may not be orange/purple, but silvery white.

So if you put up a completely black image/screen and view your 2209wa at an acute angle in a dark room (ideally with no light - like in T07N's photo), you're saying it doesn't have IPS glow? I find that pretty hard to believe.
maybe it does, but it sure wasnt as apparent as it is on this monitor, i wasnt even looking for the tinting, its just so visible, with the 2209wa i was able to watch dark scenes and not notice anything, with this panel i can easily notice it.

2209 is broken so i cant test it...

I don't think that picture does my "problem" any justice. My screen would be covered in orange/yellow tint as well as blue/purple (depending on the angle) when the screen is completely black. This is my first IPS screen so I'm unsure if this is normal or not. From the looks of it, it seems like others here are experiencing the same thing. Which may be "normal" for this specific model (no wonder they were dispose of via ebay).

Here is a vid of the issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEdnMq9T-MM

I can't complain too much since this was a big upgrade from my 22" Acer tn panel. The color is still a lot better compared to any $200 TN panel.

Last edited:
maybe it does, but it sure wasnt as apparent as it is on this monitor, i wasnt even looking for the tinting, its just so visible, with the 2209wa i was able to watch dark scenes and not notice anything, with this panel i can easily notice it.

2209 is broken so i cant test it...
The 2209wa definitely does have IPS glow, from a quick Google as shown in this and this review, it exhibits the silvery/white glow.

Also in this Youtube video.

It may not be as noticeable/distracting as the orange/purple glow seen in the U2311H, but it's certainly there. I believe the ZR24w and the U2410 both have white glow.

Like I say, it's normal, see this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPlx42Gj1Nw

If you can't live with it, then return it.

I don't think that picture does my "problem" any justice. My screen would be covered in orange/yellow tint as well as blue/purple (depending on the angle) when the screen is completely black. This is my first IPS screen so I'm unsure if this is normal or not. From the looks of it, it seems like others here are experiencing the same thing. Which may be "normal" for this specific model (no wonder they were dispose of via ebay).

Here is a vid of the issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEdnMq9T-MM

I can't complain too much since this was a big upgrade from my 22" Acer tn panel. The color is still a lot better compared to any $200 TN panel.

I had the same kind of tint/glow when I owned the U2211Hs. I saw it was even more visible on the U2311Hs so I pass on them and got a U2711 instead. The U2711 has the normal white IPS glow due to the better H-IPS panel rather than the cheaper U2211H/U2311H red/orange/purple looking e-IPS panel glow/tint. The NECs also use the e-IPS panel and they have the same red/orange/purple tint/glow.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's considered "normal" for these entry level IPS displays. I think the saying "you get what you pay for" applies here.

The NEC EA231WMi has the white glow, not the orange/purple glow. I'm not sure why the Dell is different since they're supposed to use the same panel. The orange/purple glow was common with older S-IPS panels.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's considered "normal" for these entry level IPS displays. I think the saying "you get what you pay for" applies here.

Yeah but the colors are great for a e-IPS panel and much better than a TN panel. Don't develop OCD like others have on this forum about panels.
Unless you job requires perfect color quality the glow shouldn't be an issue. When playing games and surfing the net, the monitor is fantastic for the price.

well i hooked up my broken 2209wa (cracked but glow still visible) and i can see that there is a white glow which is what im normally used to seeing, but the glow on this panel is far worse, and even from a far, straight on distance i can see an orange glow from only the bottom left corner :\

The NEC EA231WMi has the white glow, not the orange/purple glow. I'm not sure why the Dell is different since they're supposed to use the same panel. The orange/purple glow was common with older S-IPS panels.

There are a few people in the NEC thread that experienced colored tint.
Any kind of colored tint says a lot about the quality of the panel.

I think there might be two different 23" revisions floating about. I seem to recall having found a different model number for both the EA231WMi and the U2311, but I can't remember or find it.

Back