Dell PowerEdge SC1420 - 3.0GHz Xeon 1MB (dual capable), 256MB ram, 80GB sata HD- $529

tom61

[H]ard|Gawd
Dell PowerEdge SC1420 -
3.0GHz Xeon 1MB (dual capable, an additional 3.0GHz installed by them is $599)
256MB ram
80GB sata HD
48X cdrom
Windows Keyboard
2button scroll mouse
1 year basic warrenty
Free tape media that you could Ebay
No monitor and No OS (like the other Dell server deal)
$529 shipped

Click here

If the above doesn't work goto www.dell.com click Small Business and enter E-Value Code: 6W300 - sc1420sapp (About the middle of the page on the right)

I wonder if the double RAM deal will respawn before the free Xeon upgrade deal expires.

Edit:
Looks like you'll have to do the config manually. Select: "50% off the upgrade to 80GB, Serial ATA, 1 inch, 7.2K RPM, Hard Drive [add $5]" in harddrive 1 section, "Logitech PS/2 2-button Mouse with Scroll", and "Standard Windows Keyboard,Gray" (and the tape media if you want that too)

Edit 2:
Config 2:
Dual 3.0GHz 1MB cache Xeon
512MB DDR2 RAM (2x256MB)
2x 80GB SATA drives (have to use software raid if you want raid)
48x CDrom
free keyboard and mouse
$1058 Shipped

Follow the steps above, click add to cart, and increase quantity to 2. Comes with free spare case, motherboard, CDrom, keyboard, and mouse. :p Cheaper than only adding a second 3GHz proc!

doesn't seem like a good deal to me. Just a stripped down server with SATA drive, no ram, no OS, no second cpu. Add 1Gb ram (min), 3x73GB scsi raid 5, and an OS and you have a normal priced server from dell.

oakfan52 said:
doesn't seem like a good deal to me. Just a stripped down server with SATA drive, no ram, no OS, no second cpu. Add 1Gb ram (min), 3x73GB scsi raid 5, and an OS and you have a normal priced server from dell.

It has 256MB of RAM. Last I checked, 256>0. It's really only a Hot Deal if you're not using it as 'real' server. For a 'toy' server to play with (as [H] users are found of), or a 'home' server for media it's a fairly good deal. The double RAM deal might come back too. You can buy another one if you really want dual processors (Cheaper that way, for the price Dell wants anyway).

Im trying to decide whether or not to get this to host my files from.. But $500 is a bit steep, but cpu itself is $300, it would cost just about the same to build it myself, so yeah.. MaybeI'[ll save myself some time and order this..

loai said:
Im trying to decide whether or not to get this to host my files from.. But $500 is a bit steep, but cpu itself is $300, it would cost just about the same to build it myself, so yeah.. MaybeI'[ll save myself some time and order this..

If you don't need a server ASAP, just wait for the SC420 to go down in price a bit. This server is absolute overkill for home networking needs. Also, this server really doesn't offer much space as is. I bought my SC420 for $240 (granted it only had a CeleronD 2.5GHZ, but 512MB DDR2) and have already picked up a Promise Fastrak SX4 for $150. With 4 250GB hardrives @ $130 each I will have a .7TB raid5 server for my Tivo recordings...all for under $900. Granted the SC1420 has a MUCH higher performance CPU and a PCIX slot for faster raid5 reads...I'm hoping my SC420 as configured will perform well enough.

Remember...the only reason Dell sells their servers at such a low price is becuase as is they really aren't much to brag about. You will undoubtedly need to pump more cash into. Dell just hopes you buy the extras from them (they really love to rape us up the ass with their upgrade pricing scheme).

heh i think its a pretty good deal

tom61 said:
Dell PowerEdge SC1420 -
3.0GHz Xeon 1MB (dual capable, an additional 3.0GHz installed by them is $599)
256MB ram
80GB sata HD
48X cdrom
Windows Keyboard
2button scroll mouse
1 year basic warrenty
Free tape media that you could Ebay
No monitor and No OS (like the other Dell server deal)
$529 shipped

Click here

If the above doesn't work goto www.dell.com click Small Business and enter E-Value Code: 6W300 - sc1420sapp (About the middle of the page on the right)

I wonder if the double RAM deal will respawn before the free Xeon upgrade deal expires.

Edit:
Looks like you'll have to do the config manually. Select: "50% off the upgrade to 80GB, Serial ATA, 1 inch, 7.2K RPM, Hard Drive [add $5]" in harddrive 1 section, "Logitech PS/2 2-button Mouse with Scroll", and "Standard Windows Keyboard,Gray" (and the tape media if you want that too)

Edit 2:
Config 2:
Dual 3.0GHz 1MB cache Xeon
512MB DDR2 RAM (2x256MB)
2x 80GB SATA drives (have to use software raid if you want raid)
48x CDrom
free keyboard and mouse
$1058 Shipped

Follow the steps above, click add to cart, and increase quantity to 2. Comes with free spare case, motherboard, CDrom, keyboard, and mouse. :p Cheaper than only adding a second 3GHz proc!

Back