Dell 2408WFP much brighter on the side edges

IsaacMM

Gawd
Just got myself one of these, and i notice that on the side edges it appears to be much brighter than it should. Like on the [H] forum main menu, the sides are much brighter while on the middle of the monitor it looks darker.

Is this normal, like because of the VA technology?

Just got myself one of these, and i notice that on the side edges it appears to be much brighter than it should. Like on the [H] forum main menu, the sides are much brighter while on the middle of the monitor it looks darker.

Is this normal, like because of the VA technology?
No, but seems to be a "typical" uniformity issue, and along with the "lag factor", the main reasons that Dell seems to be moving away from Samsung panels (as in this case S-PVA) to LGD IPS (with the U2410).

Tim

Thats normal for 2408wfp panels, I have 3 and show the same. Best thing is to get refund and wait for U2410.

Holy shit i just counted EIGHT (8) dead pixels on my monitor and i only ran the black background test, wtf is wrong with Dell quality control?

Last edited:
Holy shit i just counted EIGHT (8) dead pixels on my monitor and i only ran the black background test, wtf is wrong with Dell quality control?

I think QC on the 2408 was on a "summer vacation" . . . Just ask ROSH . . .

Tim :D

So is this problem caused by the VA technology or is it a problem that a bad monitor has? I mean i am sitting right in front of the monitor, right on the middle, and the sides are much brighter.

Also when i move my head horizontally i see a lot of shifting, i thought the viewing angles in VA panels were better than TNs? I mean this Dell is only a bit better when it comes to horizontal shift than my old TN, is it supposed to be like this?

You are experiencing exactly what I did when I bought my first LCD years ago. Also a 24" PVA panel.

While TN panels have worse VERTICAL viewing angles. PVA has worse Horizontal viewing angles. Horizontal viewing angle shift and grey getting all shiny toward the sides just drove me nuts. To me it is way more anoying than the vertical shift on TN screens. I know I am in the minority but for this reason, I actually prefer TN panels to VA panels.

Though I have a nice IPS screen now that I prefer to both TN and PVA.

The new Dell U2410 will be an IPS screen and should be much better in this regard, but it will also be more expensive, at least initially.

Meh, i was going to ask for a replacement and put up with this horizontal shift, but after playing The Witcher a bit and a red flower looked liked there was a red neon light inside it, i think i will ask for a refund instead. The other colors look nice, but the red is way too saturated.

Sounds like me again. :D

I had a Dell 3007-HC for a while and even in games the colors were way too much. Red often hurt to look at. I avoid wide gamut panels now as well.

Meh, i was going to ask for a replacement and put up with this horizontal shift, but after playing The Witcher a bit and a red flower looked liked there was a red neon light inside it, i think i will ask for a refund instead. The other colors look nice, but the red is way too saturated.

Welcome to the world of wide color gamut S-PVA panels. WCG (wide color gamut) is what gives the super-mega-over saturated colors, and S-PVA technology the brighter/lighter sides especially on darker colors. Look at the HardForum on it and shift your head left and right and it is really visible.

The only S-PVA panel I am ok with is the one in my 2709W, and that's because it's so big I can sit back when looking at it, which minimizes the color shift effect.

The 2209WA is better in this regard, but it's 22" and 1680x1050, and currently hard to get.

So i downloaded and installed an ICC profile from TCT Central, but i don't see any difference on the monitor? Isn't this supposed to kinda calibrate it?

Monitor profiles for correcting wide gamut only works in profile aware applications. (Photoshop). Most apps are not color aware.

I can't say I notice this effect on mine...at all. However, my settings are not set to factory and its been hardware calibrated. Angle shift seems to be very minimal.

Reds were completely over saturated on mine as well. Its easy to tone the red down in the menu.

Monitor profiles for correcting wide gamut only works in profile aware applications. (Photoshop). Most apps are not color aware.

I'm aware of that, i mean that i installed the ICC and the colors on the monitor didn't change it all.

I pasted the ICC file intro windows/system32/spool/drivers/color and set the profile as the default on the color management section of displays settings, like TFT Central instructed. Is there anything else i should be doing?

Do you have photoshop? Load an image in photoshop and load it in Internet Explorer. If the profile is active you should see the difference. Even the latest firefox and IE should look different if the profile is active.

So is this problem caused by the VA technology or is it a problem that a bad monitor has? I mean i am sitting right in front of the monitor, right on the middle, and the sides are much brighter.

Also when i move my head horizontally i see a lot of shifting, i thought the viewing angles in VA panels were better than TNs? I mean this Dell is only a bit better when it comes to horizontal shift than my old TN, is it supposed to be like this?

Thats kinda native for PVA, but not bad as TNs though. Actually thats kinda annoying specially with this kind of pricey monitor. That made me crazy initially but i got used to it now. Always we have to remember that can not have a perfect monitor for this price range. I dont know if we can buy a perfect one for any price ;) without having problems like

Wider gamut
Viewing angle issues
Backlight uniformity
Input lag
dead pixel
color accuracy
misc..

on a single panel.

Back