Dark Souls is on Steam

go do the lava - firesage demon, centipede demon, and then the shitty bed of chaos

there is more progression if you want it. get crown of dusk to increase pyro damage. you can also bump int to 40 and learn magic. The crappy spells become pretty lethal with 40 int.

Hell yea! Feels awesome when you get a fight down to where you don't take a single hit :)

I have seen videos of four kings where they go in with no health and don't get hit once. Like... wth! I clearly just don't know the fight well enough.
Well you learn past NG+ that the most effective way to minimize damage is to not take damage. Pretty much everything kills you in one hit anyway once you get to NG+7. The way you do that is wear little to no armor so you can roll faster. You want to aim for less than 25% burden for the quickest movement when not naked. Then you just need to learn attack patterns and how to avoid them. Four Kings is pretty straight forward when it comes to their attacks. For their grab attack you have to go against instinct. When you see the animation start you have to unlock, run and roll toward the right. When you're pegging away up close, remember to roll to the side where the swing is coming from since it's pretty much a 180 degree swing.

I just killed the Quelagg girl. Pretty easy, took maybe 5 tries before i killed her. So far this is the furthest ive gotten in game. Rang the second bell and headed back up top. I cant talk to her sister next to the pillar. Think i need higher pyromancy fire. Its at lvl 7 now, im gonna grind souls and get to lvl 10.

And just to think.Capra demon pissed me off so much that i quitfor a week or so. But i killedhim and been smooth sailing since.

For me, the game really opened up once you get past the Capra Demon. Prior to that, it's almost like you're on rails and trying to figure the game out. The world is big, but a lot of it is closed off behind clocked doors or intentionally overpowered (like the New Londo Ruins). Once Capra is toast, you know how to play a bit better, the areas to explore are more straightforward, and you can start to see how the world works.
For new players, that's right around the point where you discover how the level-up and upgrade system works...and probably figure out that you've wasted some stats in the process.

For me, the game really opened up once you get past the Capra Demon. Prior to that, it's almost like you're on rails and trying to figure the game out. The world is big, but a lot of it is closed off behind clocked doors or intentionally overpowered (like the New Londo Ruins). Once Capra is toast, you know how to play a bit better, the areas to explore are more straightforward, and you can start to see how the world works.
For new players, that's right around the point where you discover how the level-up and upgrade system works...and probably figure out that you've wasted some stats in the process.

I wasted stats in Int. :X Wanted to start over. but figured fuck it, Ill learn the game better and maybe try again with somethign new. Or get Dark Souls 2

I just killed the Quelagg girl. Pretty easy, took maybe 5 tries before i killed her. So far this is the furthest ive gotten in game. Rang the second bell and headed back up top. I cant talk to her sister next to the pillar. Think i need higher pyromancy fire. Its at lvl 7 now, im gonna grind souls and get to lvl 10.

And just to think.Capra demon pissed me off so much that i quitfor a week or so. But i killedhim and been smooth sailing since.

Yep that was my experience with Capra. Died like 10 times in a row, quit in frustration. Finally came back a week or so later and killed him on my first try. Patience is king in this game.

go do the lava - firesage demon, centipede demon, and then the shitty bed of chaos

there is more progression if you want it. get crown of dusk to increase pyro damage. you can also bump int to 40 and learn magic. The crappy spells become pretty lethal with 40 int.

Ah okay cool. I'll go to the swamp, get more spells, then try to get this spiffy helm. Should make me do a ton more dmg against the kings

Yep that was my experience with Capra. Died like 10 times in a row, quit in frustration. Finally came back a week or so later and killed him on my first try. Patience is king in this game.

Most Definitely. Patience or don't even bother. Sad thing is that A LOT of people will never play this game. And never ever experience the world and just how awesome it is. It all seems intertwined and connected.

Almost done with Sens Fortress Now... On the boss. Haven't attempted yet. Doing some research. Think I may need to head back down to the swamp and get some pyromancies.

pyromancy is not really needed as long as you have a good STR or DEX weapon...get your weapon to +5 and then +10 and you're good to go...Four Kings is the only part that requires a different type of strategy due to them being highly resistant to standard weapons (get a fire weapon like Quelaag's Furysword)

I just started a completely new game, never beat it before, got to the 4 kings and GFWL killed my game saves somethow months ago. So nice without that crap now.

What other mods are you guys using? Anything for textures? And can I unlock the FPS in the .ini? it seems to always be at 30. I have a 7870XT and play @ 1440

Just get dsfix. You can do a lot of the adjustment with it that dark souls needs. Any other mods really aren't worth it

Anyone have a copy of the DS Fix since its been taken down (mistakenly)?
It's been taken down again?!

What other mods are you guys using? Anything for textures? And can I unlock the FPS in the .ini? it seems to always be at 30. I have a 7870XT and play @ 1440
I would stick with the 30 FPS lock. Unlocked FPS not only introduces physics glitches, but also changes gameplay mechanics around for the worse. For example, the parry window becomes much shorter and you cannot jump as far.

I would stick with the 30 FPS lock. Unlocked FPS not only introduces physics glitches, but also changes gameplay mechanics around for the worse. For example, the parry window becomes much shorter and you cannot jump as far.

No shit? I had no idea about any of this. I'm surprised Durante didn't put a note about that in the ini file.

Time to go undo that pronto. Maybe that's why I can never parry.

No shit? I had no idea about any of this. I'm surprised Durante didn't put a note about that in the ini file.

Time to go undo that pronto. Maybe that's why I can never parry.

I have had the 60 FPS unlocked since I started playing and I didn't seem to have any issues. Maybe I will take it off an see if it makes a difference but I didn't really have any issues trying to parry. I didnt have problems with a jump here or there but I just thought it was because of the weird way that you have to jump. It would have been so much nicer to just have a jump button.

I have had the 60 FPS unlocked since I started playing and I didn't seem to have any issues. Maybe I will take it off an see if it makes a difference but I didn't really have any issues trying to parry. I didnt have problems with a jump here or there but I just thought it was because of the weird way that you have to jump. It would have been so much nicer to just have a jump button.

I can think of only one place in the entire game where this may come into effect. The jump to get the laito in upper blightown. It is never an issue in battle or else where. I never had a problem with parrying either...

So I started over with a Knight. The pyromancy was boring and I didnt really use it anyways.

I just got to the Iron Golem, and beat him my second try. I probably could of killed him my first go but my PS3 controller is messing up on me.(Left Stick now presses my d-pad buttons, screwing up my weapon/shield combo).

I am now in Lando for my first time.

I can think of only one place in the entire game where this may come into effect. The jump to get the laito in upper blightown. It is never an issue in battle or else where. I never had a problem with parrying either...

Yeah I had issues trying to make that jump but I also had problems getting to the Crestfallen Merchant in Sen's Fortress also. That jump was really hard for me for some reason.

Yeah I had issues trying to make that jump but I also had problems getting to the Crestfallen Merchant in Sen's Fortress also. That jump was really hard for me for some reason.

it wasn't the jump itself but the guy lobbing flaming boulders at you :D

So I started over with a Knight. The pyromancy was boring and I didnt really use it anyways.

I just got to the Iron Golem, and beat him my second try. I probably could of killed him my first go but my PS3 controller is messing up on me.(Left Stick now presses my d-pad buttons, screwing up my weapon/shield combo).

Such a cool sight seeing it for the first time!

Instead of jumping across you can jump to where the guy is dropping in the boulders.... and drop in the hole after killing him. he respawns, but it is a cool touch

The classes are only about starting equipment and stats, really. In the grand scheme of things Knight is probably the second worst class to start with after Deprived. After the Gargoyles you have the options available to mold your character however you like regardless of starting class. People generally pick Pyromancer to start because it is SL1 and has the best stat budget available.

Instead of jumping across you can jump to where the guy is dropping in the boulders.... and drop in the hole after killing him. he respawns, but it is a cool touch
Indeed. I failed to realize this until after I had put a combined 1000 hours into the game between PC and console. One day I just suddenly had the thought that I should be able to kill all the giants and just went for it. It's too bad he respawns after a Bonfire, though. Funny fact: I have never played through the game as an archer.

Mouse/KB is 100% fine...I have 1000+ hours in the game with KB/M...might take some getting used to but it's perfectly playable

Mouse/KB is 100% fine...I have 1000+ hours in the game with KB/M...might take some getting used to but it's perfectly playable

DSMfix broke after the last patch and hasn't been updated, or has it?
You are SOL now if thats the case...

I've never used DSMfix...I only use DSfix...I never had any issues with the mouse that needed tweaking

You are amazing. I actually tried playing with KB/M last night and it was awful.
Mostly how the mouse moves... but each to his own I guess....

DSMfix broke after the last patch and hasn't been updated, or has it?
You are SOL now if thats the case...

DSMfix 0.9 (link included for the info about what it does) was broken by the un-numbered September 2013 Dark Souls patch that brought the PC version up to being the same as the PS3 version. An unofficial DSMfix 1.0.2.0 was released that fixed that issue. I do not know if 1.0.2.0 works with the current version of Dark Souls. There seems to be more info in the later posts of this thread, with recent talk about the Steamworks version of Dark Souls.

If you're using KB/m, you really want to be using DSMfix. The better solution by far is to use an XBox360 controller; the game really was made for that.

You are amazing. I actually tried playing with KB/M last night and it was awful.
Mostly how the mouse moves... but each to his own I guess....

after many months away from the game I started a new character after the Steamworks patch was released...forgot how wonky the camera (mouse?) acted but after a few minutes I adjusted to it

Some of you might have seen this, I had not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_h-NvMJK-c

that was funny...Blighttown is easy now but it's crazy when you first encounter it...those giant fatty guys look difficult because of the narrow pathways but they are super easy to backstab...those toxic blowdart guys are a pita but there is a trick...use the Spider Shield which has 100% toxic/poison damage...once you know the enemy placement and the path to the bonfire and the exit the area is relatively easy

Last edited:
There was a patch for the game this morning that broke DSFix...or at least broke something with my game and DSFix is the only mod I have installed. I'm sure it'll be back up and running by noon :p

Blighttown was rough, but to me it was really only hard in that opening area (like in the video). The giants, crazed rushing guys, and stupid poison dart shooters all back to back was hellish. Once you get out of that section, it's not too horrible. Plus, that's usually right around when you finally "get" the game and finally start to get much better at it.

There was a patch for the game this morning that broke DSFix...or at least broke something with my game and DSFix is the only mod I have installed. I'm sure it'll be back up and running by noon :p

Blighttown was rough, but to me it was really only hard in that opening area (like in the video). The giants, crazed rushing guys, and stupid poison dart shooters all back to back was hellish. Once you get out of that section, it's not too horrible. Plus, that's usually right around when you finally "get" the game and finally start to get much better at it.
New patch means newly compiled executable, which means different memory addresses to hook.

I always grab the Rusted Iron Ring before going to Blighttown. It eliminates the movement penalty in the swamp when worn.

Back