Dark Souls is on Steam

Why can't you buy it from steam?

Buying it from g2a and activating it on steam seems like you should be able to buy it from steam or green man gaming? Amazon I think even sells the steam version

If I search for it on Steam it's not there, I think it relates to GFWL not selling to Iceland because of some region thing.

Uh oh, why didn't it transfer your saves? That makes me nervous. Also.. you mean to say that the camera movement in DS2 is much improved?

I meant that I didn't try and transfer over any saves...I wanted to try a New Game...I'll try transferring over my saves later on as the cutoff date is February 16th

yes the camera movement is much improved in DS2...for some reason I'm not enjoying my new playthrough as much as I thought I would...seems like I'm just grinding through...maybe I underestimated how good Dark Souls 2 really is and it was the nostalgia factor of DS1 that I was remembering

I think the gameplay for #2 is just a bit smoother and I like how they removed much of the tedium from the upgrade process, but the level design for DS1 was masterful. That's where it shines.

I think the gameplay for #2 is just a bit smoother and I like how they removed much of the tedium from the upgrade process, but the level design for DS1 was masterful. That's where it shines.

I agree there, the level design for DS2 is very "spread out", its apparent by the one way bonfires at the end of each area

where as DS1 felt very connected and intertwined..

So how is the PvP and Co-op situation with Steamworks? Is it much improved over GFWL or pretty much the same? I haven't had the chance to try it myself yet.

didn't transfer over any saves yet but started a new game and everything works fine (including DSfix)...it's been awhile since I last played so I forgot how wonky the camera movement is with DS1...just finished the Gargoyles

There's a setting in the options to fix this. "auto wall recovery". Turn that off.

So how is the PvP and Co-op situation with Steamworks? Is it much improved over GFWL or pretty much the same? I haven't had the chance to try it myself yet.

PvP has issues for me now...lots of crashes when I try to summon...NPC summonings work fine but player summons have issues...anyone else seeing this?

I can confirm the new saves are steam cloud saves too :) - at least I think they are

my steam save games transferred between computers without syncing the GFWL profiles

Kind of funny - the game now clones whatever you have in the save folders. I had some random other files in there and the Steam cloud keeps bringing those back, too.

So, how do you know if all worked as planned? Will I continue to run the game as the beta 2.0?

Also, I finally got around to clearing new londo ruins for the first time. It was nothing like I expected, in a good way! Everyone says it sucks but I enjoyed it and didn't find it all too difficult once I learned how to kill those dark wraiths. 4 kings though is giving some troubles. Do ppl co op this boss? Where might I look for ppls summon signs?

So, how do you know if all worked as planned? Will I continue to run the game as the beta 2.0?

Also, I finally got around to clearing new londo ruins for the first time. It was nothing like I expected, in a good way! Everyone says it sucks but I enjoyed it and didn't find it all too difficult once I learned how to kill those dark wraiths. 4 kings though is giving some troubles. Do ppl co op this boss? Where might I look for ppls summon signs?

People can drop summon signs just about anywhere----within the limits of the summon zones (which are usually most of a level). But you will usually always find a couple of summon signs relatively near the boss fog door. No matter what level you are in.

the Steamworks version shows as 'dsptde 2.0' in your Library...starting in mid-February that will become the default version

don't summon anyone during Four Kings...they teleport in much faster if you have help...just use a quick strike weapon (I always use Quelaag's Furysword)...they are especially weak to fire but also to lightning, magic and divine weapons

the Steamworks version shows as 'dsptde 2.0' in your Library...starting in mid-February that will become the default version

don't summon anyone during Four Kings...they teleport in much faster if you have help...just use a quick strike weapon (I always use Quelaag's Furysword)...they are especially weak to fire but also to lightning, magic and divine weapons

Lol. I used the fury sword as well. Load up on humanity. Get close and wail on them. I ended up waiting for each king to spawn it was so quick

finished my new STR character Steamworks playthrough earlier today...for the first time ever I actually completed Siegmeyer of Catarina's quest all the way to the end...all other times something always happened to Sieg that screwed up the ending (most times he either died or fell below 50% health in Lost Izalith)...the ending was pretty cool at Ash Lake...after 1000+ hours it's good to still be able to complete new things in the game :p

also tried out some new weapons...the Demon's Great Machete is pretty nice for a STR build...wish it had longer range, but I like it

Black iron set + a fire weapon = easy 4 kings. Get behind and 2 hand them
Crystal Soul Spear is also great if you're not rocking a STR/END build. My INT build took each of them down in two hits on NG++.

Protip: don't stop attacking a king when it's fading away after "killing" it! You can continue to damage the main health bar until they fully disappear. It's easily possible to make this into a 3-king fight solo. In co-op there was a group who managed to finish the fight by killing only one king!

The fights most people struggle with (Capra, Four Kings) I absolutely cruised through in both passes, but I full-on curse the name of the Bed of Chaos, which it seems like most people do fine against.
With the Four Kings, I literally just tanked 'em with the Man-Serpent Sword and heavy armor. Strafe them, swing 3-4 times, swig a healing potion when you get to about 20% in life, repeat. I've only been killed by them once, on my very first attempt.

so, should I still seek a fire weapon even though I have 40 dex? From what i could tell, all the upgrade paths are inferior to the basic one when you have good scaling stats.

I could just try to use the charcoal resin or something to buff my weapon. I also have pyromancy and could throw fireballs at them lol

Also, does summoning witch beatrice count against the summon time of the kings fights?

beatrice is generally not useful. you don't need a fire weapon. If you have a +15 you are good to go. If you don't, the very large ember is nearby, you just need to kill the darkwraith in the shacks then climb lots of steps. Fireballs are not recommended but combustion works great. Get close two hand and circle to their left. Upclose you only get hilt damage. It will cancel a lot of their moves. If they spin then you need to roll backwards 2x. If you use melee then stamina management is important. You probably want to do only 1 hit between attacks so you have stamina to roll.

Examples:
Melee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QELJ-L5P1TM
Pyromancy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra29qW8mf44

that's an interesting strategy with the Red Tearstone Ring...so you stay under 20% health for most of the game?...the ring was way overpowered in DS1...they nerfed the damage increase to 20% in DS2

It is useful in NG+ on a sl1 run. your armor becomes cotton anyway and many bosses can just oneshot you. Learn to no-aim crossbow (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Dfjkc4iRQ) and you can easily kill the mobs leading up to the bosses.

After getting to the boss though.... I set my game file to read only. Exit & repeat when you die....

so, should I still seek a fire weapon even though I have 40 dex? From what i could tell, all the upgrade paths are inferior to the basic one when you have good scaling stats.

I could just try to use the charcoal resin or something to buff my weapon. I also have pyromancy and could throw fireballs at them lol

Also, does summoning witch beatrice count against the summon time of the kings fights?
Elemental weapons are still useful because there are some mobs and bosses that are resistant to many or all types of physical damage. The Four Kings is one of those bosses (by 50% IIRC). You can just test to find out what approach works best :p. The Power Within Pyromancy is very useful in this fight for physical damage dealers if you picked it up in Blighttown.

Beatrice would be more useful if she fired off spells more often since Four Kings is vulnerable to Magic damage. But Kings do spawn much more frequently with her in the fight, so it might be best to not bring her with you.

I am pretty sure I beat the four kings on the first go around but the Capra demon....I died like 10 times or more trying to beat that jackass. Same with O and S...

DSFix 2.3 got deleted from Dropbox due to some confusion during DMCA removal of some debug mode patches. When Bandai Namco heard about it, they were all "That was not the plan!" and it will apparently be reuploaded soon (they are well aware that this mod saved the PC version from being a bomb).

DSFix 2.3 got deleted from Dropbox due to some confusion during DMCA removal of some debug mode patches. When Bandai Namco heard about it, they were all "That was not the plan!" and it will apparently be reuploaded soon (they are well aware that this mod saved the PC version from being a bomb).
I knew it had to be a misunderstanding, but that is what you get when you hire a 3rd party to fight your legal battles. I'm sure Bamco owes a good portion of its PC sales due to the fix, and are well aware that any attacks against Durante would hurt them in the future.

Usually the elemental weapons are better for lower level characters due to poor scaling. +15 start to over take them with more stats in their respective growth stats. But unless you're a mix/max kind of person then it doesn't really matter all that much. Go with whatever you have the most fun with. Be careful when summoning beatrice for that fight. She somethings doesn't follow you all the way into the abyss and then you're stuck fighting the four kings with extra health and no partner

Along with enabling texture loading, it's worth hunting down the HD texture pack for Dark Souls, too.
Dark Souls with that pack and DSFix is about 75% as nice looking as the 2nd game.

Along with enabling texture loading, it's worth hunting down the HD texture pack for Dark Souls, too.
Dark Souls with that pack and DSFix is about 75% as nice looking as the 2nd game.
I think the HD texture pack takes a few too many liberties and ruins the original aesthetic of the game. While the high resolution is nice, often the color and style do not fit the intent of the environment in its approach. So much so that I prefer the original low-res textures.

I think the HD texture pack takes a few too many liberties and ruins the original aesthetic of the game. While the high resolution is nice, often the color and style do not fit the intent of the environment in its approach. So much so that I prefer the original low-res textures.

I've been using the HD texture pack and never looked back, so I can't really comment on the different aesthetics, but I will say that I believe the texture loading of the HD pack creates some stutter in areas where stutter did not previously exists. I'm guessing this is the game loading new textures. Can be rather annoying at times.

So there's still a ton of game left that I haven't beaten, but I'm curious if there is any more progression for my character. I'm about SL60, have +15 weapons, and the Lord Vessel. What other ways can I upgrade my character? I still feel like I should be owning more than I am. But maybe that's just DS... you'll never feel like you own everything. I haven't been able to beat Four Kings, and I haven't been able to muster up the willpower to move on to anything else. I know I have Ash Lake, Duke Archives, and then that Lava place completely unexplored... but at this point I feel like it's just an exercise in futility. Sad to say, but apparently i've become addicted to progression. Now that I feel there is none left, my will to forge on is waning :(

Are you purposely keeping your SL low? I don't remember being that low when I got to four kings. Somewhere around 80-90...

Are you purposely keeping your SL low? I don't remember being that low when I got to four kings. Somewhere around 80-90...

Nope. I've just played the beginning portion of this game enough times now that I really cruised through everything up to O&S. Then i was dumping lots of souls into upgrading my pyromancy flame to 15.

I have Dex at 40 (which is iirc the place you're supposed to stop) and after that focused on the flame. With some of the stuff I've had to kill i was focusing on damage first.

Maybe i should just forget about four kings for the moment and do some other zones.

I also have all these mats to craft stuff, but haven't made anything other than my Uchigatana, Iaito, and the Pharis bow. I have the washing pole, but haven't gotten to 20 str.

As i think about it, I will need to craft up a Divine weapon of some sort eventually.

Last edited:
You can try getting behind them and casting great combustion. Should do mad damage with a maxed pyromancy. I would still get more lvls though. Stack more health or endurance, probably more health since you are dying much. Ah and don't forget armor with the highest magic defense you can get

You can try getting behind them and casting great combustion. Should do mad damage with a maxed pyromancy. I would still get more lvls though. Stack more health or endurance, probably more health since you are dying much. Ah and don't forget armor with the highest magic defense you can get

You make me wonder, where's another pyro trainer to get more spells?

Blightown swamp :) you will also find that your pyro is not completely maxed yet...

Last edited:
Blightown swamp :) you will also find that your pyro is not completely maxed yet...
The person you're looking for is behind a pillar somewhere ;).

chockomonkey, I take it you didn't pick up the Power Within Pyromancy? You can still get it. It's in the upper areas of Blighttown. It should help you out a lot as a physical damage dealer against Four Kings.

Progression does slow a lot near the end of a playthrough. I think I'm usually around SL 70-80 by the end of the first one. You have to push on to NG+ ;).

Got back into this game after GWFL was patched out. I lost all my stuff, but I'm already past the point I was before and then some.

Its an awesome game. Love the difficulty and I think this time around I'm more patient.

I killed Gaping Dragon without taking damage.

Hell yea! Feels awesome when you get a fight down to where you don't take a single hit :)

I have seen videos of four kings where they go in with no health and don't get hit once. Like... wth! I clearly just don't know the fight well enough.

Back