Corsair Announces Cooling Hydro Series H50 CPU Cooler

Wow, that isn't much more than the giant Zalman HSF I'm using right now. Looks like I've found another piece for my next rig. :)
I'm buying this day 1 simply because I want some god damn room for my ram slots and the ability to put fans on my nbrdige/pwm without breaking my hands. Also moving the radiator away from gpu exhaust from the backplate will drop temps even more. Gonna use 2x noctuas p12.

I'm buying this day 1 simply because I want some god damn room for my ram slots and the ability to put fans on my nbrdige/pwm without breaking my hands. Also moving the radiator away from gpu exhaust from the backplate will drop temps even more. Gonna use 2x noctuas p12.

Oh dude, no kidding. Lots of room for airflow + near dead silence is the goal here. I already have my current PC almost as silent as my iMac, and with my next build I barely want to detect a hum from this thing.

Good call on the Noctuas, nice and quiet. I might have to go for the S12 myself, we'll see!

Oh dude, no kidding. Lots of room for airflow + near dead silence is the goal here. I already have my current PC almost as silent as my iMac, and with my next build I barely want to detect a hum from this thing.

Good call on the Noctuas, nice and quiet. I might have to go for the S12 myself, we'll see!
you might wanna get the p12 for use on this, more static pressure.

you might wanna get the p12 for use on this, more static pressure.

True, and I can always turn them down with a fan controller or the extra cables if the slightly extra noise was getting to me.

Actually, my next case will likely use 140mm fans, so I think that takes both models out of the equation. :) Fortunately there are 140mm Noctuas coming out pretty soon. I'll have to take a look at those as build time gets closer, see how much quieter they are than the fans that come with the case, etc.

I have a feeling the Corsair Hydro H50 will be a hot selling item. The going rate for them seems to be around $75 which puts it in line with high end air cooling which it easily matches or exceeds.

I have a feeling the Corsair Hydro H50 will be a hot selling item. The going rate for them seems to be around $75 which puts it in line with high end air cooling which it easily matches or exceeds.

Absolutely. Why get another Zalman HSF (which I still love btw) when I can spend a few bucks more and get the H50 which will cool even better and is potentially even quieter?

Between their new case, the H50, their new 850W PSU, and RAM, Corsair can expect to see quite a bit of my cash later this year. :)

Absolutely. Why get another Zalman HSF (which I still love btw) when I can spend a few bucks more and get the H50 which will cool even better and is potentially even quieter?

Between their new case, the H50, their new 850W PSU, and RAM, Corsair can expect to see quite a bit of my cash later this year. :)

The downside being that it will break at some point, probably outside of its warranty and with pretty bad potential effect on your hardware.
A normal heatsink will last forever with a few changes of fan only.

The downside being that it will break at some point, probably outside of its warranty and with pretty bad potential effect on your hardware.
A normal heatsink will last forever with a few changes of fan only.

What is the average lifespan on coolers like the H50?

Nenu - Haha, now you have me all worried; the warranty on the H50 is only two years.

Anyone here knows how long these coolers generally last?

Standard HSFs might not cool as well but you can't get much more mechanically simple than some copper fins and a fan blowing over them. :)

What is the average lifespan on coolers like the H50?

Sorry I dont know, I was voicing my own concerns about getting one :)
I'm still interested in one but I want to know what coolant they use and the properties of the tubing that can contain it well so I can at least perform basic servicing on it.

As with all electronics, Its better to keep them cooler for longer life so I would allow airflow within the top of the CPU cooling unit which sadly voids the warranty if it cannot do that by default.
As with water cooling, for hardware safety, its wise to set your CMOS setup so your CPU immediately shuts down if it overheats.

Sorry I dont know, I was voicing my own concerns about getting one :)
I'm still interested in one but I want to know what coolant they use and the properties of the tubing that can contain it well so I can at least perform basic servicing on it.

As with all electronics, Its better to keep them cooler for longer life so I would allow airflow within the top of the CPU cooling unit which sadly voids the warranty if it cannot do that by default.
As with water cooling, for hardware safety, its wise to set your CMOS setup so your CPU immediately shuts down if it overheats.

The pump is rated to last for 50,000hrs. But my concern is that other parts, like the plastic barbs on the pump, or the tubing, will become brittle and break long before the pump gives out. And this type of thing can happen, as I've heard stories of it happening with CoolIt's Domino ALC.

That was the point at which I decided that I didn't want to wait. I've already purchased a Prolimatech Megahalems, with 2 fans - both rated at the suggested 57CFM. The ironic part is that they seem to be quieter than the Zalman CNPS9900LED I was using previously.... which is something I was not expecting! Of course at the same time It is also doing a much better job of cooling my Core [email protected].

So while I might still consider building a water cooling setup. I know that if I build it, I'll get quality parts (as in no plastic barbs...) and I'll carefully assemble it. At the same time I'll inspect it regularly, when I clean the dust out of the case once a month. And while I don't want to see Corsair fail in this endeavor, I just hope that those who choose to buy this product are careful as well.

That was the point at which I decided that I didn't want to wait. I've already purchased a Prolimatech Megahalems, with 2 fans - both rated at the suggested 57CFM. The ironic part is that they seem to be quieter than the Zalman CNPS9900LED I was using previously.... which is something I was not expecting! Of course at the same time It is also doing a much better job of cooling my Core [email protected].

Impressive, that almost seems too good to be true. I'll have to check that HSF out, thanks for the tip.

Which fans are you using on your Prolimatech Megahalem?

Just curious since quiet 19dba or lower is all I'll go with, whether that's how they come out of the box or I do it myself via fan control. Silence is a top priority with me which is why either another Zalman or the H50 is high on my list.

Thanks

They are named Xilence "Red Wings", and the specifications lists 21.2dB and 57.91 CFM at ~1500RPM ± 10%. As far as I can tell mine are running at ~1100RPM, with the PWM feature turned off in BIOS.

I will admit that I tend to be really skeptical of this type of sound specification. I guess I've used allot of Antec fans in the past, and they normally misrepresent their specs. So I expected these to be loud as well. As it is, what I hear most, when I'm a few feet away, is a 90CFM / 120mm fan I suspended in the lower part of my 5.25" drive bay. All of my case fans are very quiet (this is a HAF 932 case remember). And that I feel might be the reason why heatsinks are working so well for me... my case is extremely well ventilated.

Next week I'll get a CM Storm Sniper. My guess is that it's ventilation will not be quite as good. But if it comes close, I may not bother with Liquid Cooling. Because as someone else here as pointed out, Heatsinks don't break! Though at times they can be a pain to mount... This one was not! The Zalman, on the other hand, was much more difficult. By comparison the Megahalem was like "falling off a log". :cool:

They are named Xilence "Red Wings", and the specifications lists 21.2dB and 57.91 CFM at ~1500RPM ± 10%. As far as I can tell mine are running at ~1100RPM, with the PWM feature turned off in BIOS.

I will admit that I tend to be really skeptical of this type of sound specification. I guess I've used allot of Antec fans in the past, and they normally misrepresent their specs. So I expected these to be loud as well. As it is, what I hear most, when I'm a few feet away, is a 90CFM / 120mm fan I suspended in the lower part of my 5.25" drive bay. All of my case fans are very quiet (this is a HAF 932 case remember). And that I feel might be the reason why heatsinks are working so well for me... my case is extremely well ventilated.

Next week I'll get a CM Storm Sniper. My guess is that it's ventilation will not be quite as good. But if it comes close, I may not bother with Liquid Cooling. Because as someone else here as pointed out, Heatsinks don't break! Though at times they can be a pain to mount... This one was not! The Zalman, on the other hand, was much more difficult. By comparison the Megahalem was like "falling off a log". :cool:

Thanks very much for your feedback, very much appreciated.

Um, wow, that was disappointing. And weird too, I wasn't expecting a cooling solution that does the exact opposite method of every other one I've ever seen. Blowing hot air back over the components from the rear ventilation, weird.

Anyway, I may have to reconsider and go back to a Zalman or something. Once I see reviews where the CPU is run at a lower voltage I might decide that this will work ok for me, I dunno. I'm just not interested in adding an exhaust on the roof of the case or anything like that, the whole point of my next rig from a physical standpoint is to make it as silent at possible. Adding a ceiling exhaust doesn't help me there.

Just wanted to follow up. Thanks very much for your input, after doing some more research I decided that I'm going to get the Megahalems (my god that's a dumb name :) ) in October along with a Noctua fan. At full blast it will provide better cooling at a much lower noise level than the Zalman. The only reason I have the Zalman at silent levels is because I have it running into a fan control and turned down. With the Megahalems I'll be able to run the Noctua at full speed (19db at 54CFM, close enough) and get better cooling.

Again, thanks!

same here! not a bad way to dip your toes in water, so to speak, without breaking the bank!

Watch Kyle's video review. I thought the same thing until I saw that air intake comes from the rear of the case and then blows it back inside over the radiator and into the case where all of the components are (mobo, RAM, video, etc). Without ducting that hot air to a blowhole or something weird like that, I wouldn't be that interested.

When you get down to it, this method of "water cooling" really isn't much different from popular HSFs these days that use heatpipes. The difference with the H50 is that the "pipes" are flexible and the area where heat is dissipated by the fan is decoupled from the area above the CPU. With an HSF you have heatpipes drawing heat away from the CPU and dissipating it from copper fins that are directly above the CPU. Same basic principle as the H50 when you get down to it.

Unfortunately, the way the H50 is configured breaks pretty much everything I've ever known about airflow in a computer case, it just doesn't make any logical sense to me. Its cool that it seriously reduces the amount of crap around the motherboard and it should free things up for better airflow, its just a shame that its configured the way it is. I'd consider it if the radiator and its cooling fan swapped positions so that the rear vent exhausted heat instead of drawing cool air in from the outside. It would require decent airflow going into the case but I think more people could manage it.

Anyway, enthusiasm deflated, probably going for the Noctua or Megahelems instead, but I guess that's what reviews are for. :)

This seems like a great cooler especially for the price, but I was wondering a couple of things.

Like Serpico said, it seems to exhaust hot air into the case. Would there be alternate mounting strategies that correct this. Also, I saw on the spec page that the rad is made of aluminum? I always heard this was a bad thing in terms of watercooling, compared to brass or copper.

It is awesome to see this thing beat a TRUE, but what about home-made watercooling systems? How does it stand up to a Thermochill or Feser 120x3, 355 with aftermarket top, and high end block? I don't expect it to beat a $500 cooling loop, but I'd like to see how it stacks up to homemade watercooling for the value and convenience.

There is practically no difference in performance between water cooling with copper/aluminium

...<snip>... Also, I saw on the spec page that the rad is made of aluminum? I always heard this was a bad thing in terms of watercooling, compared to brass or copper.
...<snip>...

There is practically no difference in performance between water cooling with copper/aluminium

The issue people have with mixing metals is not about "performance" per se. It's about Galvanic Corrosion, which can really mess up your components. However, to prevent this from happening they are undoubtedly using additives in their fluid that may, in fact, reduce the overall efficiency. So, generally speaking, it's best to avoid setups with copper and aluminum.

A good modder will position the radiator OUTSIDE of the chassis fully. Would likely be a little awkward, but could be done. In fact, if Corsair wants to sell more of these. Give me an extra 8 inches on the tubing and sell it with a plastic bracket that will allow me to mount easily outside of the chassis. Then you have the best of both worlds. Ambient temperature airflow on the radiator and no exhausting hot air into the chassis.

You know I was gonna grab one of these for my kids machine until I saw that it exhausts the hot air back into the case...that's a deal breaker for me .

I don't want to have to add more fans to get that heat out.

I would be curious if you can put the fan on the other side to force it to exhaust the air outside...as I don't want to mod the case to mount this outside ..cause even then, you still have the air blowing in.

Back