Limp Gawd
I want to upgrade to the following:
X4 955 Oc'd to perhaps 3.6ghz
5770 in Crossfire
4GB of DDR2 RAM
2 hard drives
3 case fans
One optical drive

I'm thinking I'd need a PSU upgrade, but the 5770's are amazing in terms of power efficiency. If this doesn't work out, could I swap the 5770's in crossfire for a single 4890 safely?

Nope, not enough power for HD 5770 CF. But it'll be fine with the HD 4890.

Cool, thanks.

Ugh, Nvidia needs to release their cards soon.. Ideally I would like a 5850, but it's so expensive...heh.

I am using an EA500 with the rig in my sig since my Corsair decided to take a dump. 10x 120mm high speed fans, a sound card, and a DVDRW drive, along with the other parts and it runs flawlessly.

Best impulse buy ever for $38 shipped @ frys since my Corsair died a few days after the Antec was delivered lol.

Now I need another PSU that has longer cables so it doesn't look like a bird's nest in my case hah.

I want to upgrade to the following:
X4 955 Oc'd to perhaps 3.6ghz
5770 in Crossfire
4GB of DDR2 RAM
2 hard drives
3 case fans
One optical drive

I'm thinking I'd need a PSU upgrade, but the 5770's are amazing in terms of power efficiency. If this doesn't work out, could I swap the 5770's in crossfire for a single 4890 safely?

Looks like EA 500 can to me with room to spare....

http://www.antec.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Looks like EA 500 can to me with room to spare....

http://www.antec.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Uh huh. You do know that those links tends to be inaccurate right? You also know that you need to know the amperage on the +12V rail needed right? You do know the following right?:
Yes and a quick search would turn up this topic a million times over. Here is the recap:

1) APFC can fool Kill-A-Watts into giving you abnormally low readings (some times giving better than 100% efficiency)

2) Power supplies derate with temperature anywhere from 2w/c above a nominal rated at value to 10w/c.

3) Kill-A-Watt's and most power meters sample too slowly to catch transient loads (the Transient load from our tests is 117w and is COMPLETELY missed by Kill-A-Watts).

4) Power supplies last longer if you stay in the 40% to 60% range of their output.

5) power supplies are quieter if you stay in the 40% to 60% range of their output.

6) Power supplies are cooler if you stay in the 40% to 60% range of their output.

The power meters in UPS software are just as bad. You have to spend some change before you get anywhere near an accurate power meter when your PSU has APFC.

"Uh huh. You do know that those links tends to be inaccurate right?"

Why would a reputable PSU maker release an inaccurate PSU calculator?

uh huh....lol

uh huh....lol
An oversight? Not everything a reputable PSU maker do will be of good or even accurate information. All you have to do is look at OCZ.

uh huh....lol

Antec didn't release it. They just pay extreme outervision to use it.

Because it's impossible to make an accurate PSU calculater. And as HOOfan already pointed out, Antec aren't even responsible for creating it.

Guys please use some common sense. Antecs name is plastered all over the site. If this calculator was as bad you guys seem to want to think they would never put up there logo period! They would take it down faster then it would take you to refresh this thread....

Guys please use some common sense. Antecs name is plastered all over the site. If this calculator was as bad you guys seem to want to think they would never put up there logo period! They would take it down faster then it would take you to refresh this thread....

You're taking this the wrong way. Just because something is capable of doing a job, doesn't mean it is efficient.

Uh huh. You do know that those links tends to be inaccurate right? You also know that you need to know the amperage on the +12V rail needed right? You do know the following right?:

What would be the best way to determine how much power you are using?
Does the APC software give a fairly accurate number?
I currently have my main rig, 2x LCD Screens, , 3x My Books, 2x Swtiches, Alesis speakers, desk lamp with 13w CFL, and my htpc plugged into it and everything is on and it is using 444watts. it's about 370 with the HTPC in standby.

From spec it seems that the max 12V load is 34A.

With the 5770, under high load it will pull anywhere from 9 to 11A. Multiply that by 2 and it's 18-22A which exceeds the limits on the rail which powers peripherals. Even if we are assuming that this is actually a single rail system, we still need to account for the power from everything else. Even if the total ends up being 30A (which would be a low side estimate) on the 12V, that is still a 88% load on a very crucial part in your power supply. Excess load would certainly affect its stability in the long run.

So the question "Can you run crossfired 5770s with a EA500", I'd say no.

No, you're wrong.
What would be the best way to determine how much power you are using?
Estimate based on known power consumption numbers for different components.
Does the APC software give a fairly accurate number?
Not especially.

Someone is actually trying to argue about PSUs with Danny?

lol. Good luck with that.

Back