Buying used/oem hard drives from ebay,fs/ft

xc_runner713

Weaksauce
i have decided there is no way im going to buy a motherboard from ebay or the fs/ft section just because motherboards are so difficult some times i wouldnt like haveing to tell some guy your board came in doa id like my 50 bux back kthanx

but what about hard drives it just seems the price difference between new and used is so much greater than any other components would you recommend buying used hard drives

then the question is retail vs oem do you really need anything from the retail if you have the sata cables and will a sata3.0 drive work with a serial ata150 mobo i heard they were backwards compatable

i only ask this because on xmas my only hard drive died and im running off of an ubuntu live cd now:(

It's possible that HDs bought refurb or used will be less reliable. How worried are you about losing your data? (You should be backing up anyways)

Retail v OEM. Just take a careful look at warranty dates because they will vary. If you already have SATA cables, go with whatever is cheaper.

SATA2 v SATA1. Unless you're using RAID, it does not matter for you.

yup still debating these is what im leaning towards though capacities are approximations dont really matter to me 70GB 8-16mb cache raptor for 60$ off ebay or a 80gb random 8mb cache bare minimum sata 25$ off ebay or somewhere in between maybe a 160 gb 16 mb cache normal drive

would the raptor really be a huge step up from any other sata drives

The last thing I would buy second hand is a hard drive.

Not to mention it's an extremely fragile component that most people don't bother to package right.

Back