Build Help - Tiny Print Server

dugn

Limp Gawd
Parallel Print and SCSI Scan Server Needed

I recently retired my old PCI and AGP-based P4 system (see RIP specs below), but still need a parallel port to service my beloved HP LaserJet 5P and a 50-pin SCSI to drive my large format Epson 836xl for scanning album covers.

There's no way I'm going to pollute my new machine with a parallel and 50-pin Ultra SCSI card, so I'm thinking the cheapest and easiest solution is to build a mini-ITX Scan and Print Server. I figure I'll set this up with a monitor attached using on-board video and TS into it (like my WHS) afterward when I need it.

I already have a hard drive, XP and a full-profile Adaptec 2930CU (50-pin external Ultra SCSI) that I would like to reuse it to save $. The rest I was going to buy new.

Aside from a parallel port and ability to have a 50-pin U SCSI port, my requirements are silent or very quiet (I don't want to hear it over my silent HP 475 WHS). Trouble-free (why I like Intel boards). It needs to be black. And it needs to run a simple OS (like XP) that can go to sleep (to save power/noise) so it's only on when I need it. What I've spec'ed out and need your feedback on is:

For $243-$253 total.

I'm torn between the Intel processors since I've never owned a Celeron. But the reduced wattage (35W vs. 65W) seems preferable.

I would also like an even smaller case like a Mini-ITX tower, but then I have to buy another low profile Ultra SCSI 50-pin card and discard the full sized one I already have - adding $70 (generic) to $120 (Adaptec 2930LP) to the total - effectively doubling it.

Thoughts, tips, better ideas?

Thanks for pitching in. I'll go with one RAM stick instead of two. But why the E3200 over the E1500 - and both 65W CPUs over the 35W Celeron? I'm curious because I honestly don't know low end processors like this and am glad to have feedback on this Tiny Server and my approach...

Thanks in advance...

The e3200 is the newest 45nm revision for the low end line. No use buying lower end last years model, since it cost you $0 (with the one ram stick) and doubles your cache.
Buying the ram allows future expansion in the case you want to upgrade the ram or sell the machine.

And this has Virt Tech in case you want to run Windows 7 on it, and use XP mode.

The e3200 is the newest 45nm revision for the low end line. No use buying lower end last years model, since it cost you $0 (with the one ram stick) and doubles your cache.
Buying the ram allows future expansion in the case you want to upgrade the ram or sell the machine.

And this has Virt Tech in case you want to run Windows 7 on it, and use XP mode.

Ahhhh! Just the nuances I would not have known! That's great to know. And yes, double the cache and VM support for possible Win7 XP mode are, indeed, bonuses.

Pending further comments/thoughts, that's where I'm headed with this. Thx, gwarren

Check out the Lian-Li PC-Q07:

$50 - LIAN LI PC-Q07 Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower

Check out the Lian-Li PC-Q07:

$50 - LIAN LI PC-Q07 Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower

Nice.

A minus - no PSU (now I need to go find one - and I don't know small PSU's any better than I know low-end CPUs)

A plus - it's a smaller case that support a full-profile PCI SCSI card (nice!)

If I go this route, any suggestion/recommendation for a right-sized, quiet, name-brand PSU?

Nice.

A minus - no PSU (now I need to go find one - and I don't know small PSU's any better than I know low-end CPUs)

A plus - it's a smaller case that support a full-profile PCI SCSI card (nice!)

If I go this route, any suggestion/recommendation for a right-sized, quiet, name-brand PSU?

Dude, that case fits standard ATX PSUs, not those mATX or other SFF PSUs. So you can use this quality PSU:
$50 - Corsair 400CX 400W PSU

Why not an Atom for this? There's no reason for even a Celeron based on your needs. The Intel Atom boards are dirt cheap and include a parallel port and PCI slot. Add a slightly beefier heatsink and you can run it fanless. Perfect.

Add a picoPSU for silent power, boot from a DOM, and you've got a noiseless machine. Cheaper too.

PS. Linux + CUPS + saned ftw. Or ClarkConnect + (built in) CUPS + saned.

Well - it's done. And it took all of 20 minutes to assemble. Total system cost $272:

• Lian Li PC-Q07 Black Mini ITX Tower - $50
  • Intel BOXDG41MJ LGA 775 Intel G41 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard - $75
  • Intel Celeron E3200 Wolfdale 2.4GHz - $52
  • Corsair CMPSU-400CX 400W PSU - $50 ($30 after rebate)
  • Crucial 1GB stick - $21
  • Sony CD/DVD drive - $24
  • Seagate 500GB SATA drive - $0 (already had one)

So, for $272 ($252 after rebate), I've got a print server for my parallel-based HP LaserJet 5P, a SCSI Scanner server for my wide-format Epson 836XL and an unexpected bonus of a standalone server for Torrents and ripping DVDs without buggering up my WHS or primary gaming machine.

The case is a little larger than I hoped, but my unwillingness to step down to a low-profile Adaptec 2930LP forced me into a larger profile case. And yeah, the 400W PSU is definite overkill. But a name brand I can trust and it's completely silent at the current draw. And it's not like <400W name-brand PSU's are easy to find.

Here are the promised pics:

The parts
dsc01211ii.jpg

The tiny motherboard with more options then I need
dsc01214e.jpg

dsc01212x.jpg

The PSU
dsc01217j.jpg

Motherboard mounted, case on its side - no drives - looking down into it
dsc01219y.jpg

Drive mounting grommets
dsc01220l.jpg

Optical and HD drives mounted
dsc01222m.jpg

On its side, ready to close up the case
dsc01223b.jpg

dsc01218m.jpg

Finished Front
dsc01225z.jpg

Finished Back
dsc01226i.jpg

Impressions:

The Lian Li case is excellent. Simple, attractive and with a BLUE power lamp and RED HDD activity lamp. The hard drive grommets were a nice touch isolating the bulk of HDD noise. Because the Corsair PSU came with so many cables, a modular PSU would have been better. But the rig doesn't produce much heat and the Lian Li vents are good enough. So, although the cables are cramped, it works.

Comments? Thoughts?

Last edited:
It wouldn't have happened without your help, gwarren007 and enginurd. Thanks for your tips and advice.

Curious what you're using for network scanning in Windows.

Nice looking case indeed, good deal for what you got. I'm glad you've found it quiet enough, though you could make it quieter still if necessary. Good build.

Nah, you said you wanted a scan server. How are you doing the networked scanning?

Not doing scanning over the network. I built this as both a print server to host a parallel port as well as to host the 50-pin Ultra SCSI card needed to drive my large-format Epson 836XL scanner. The scanner is plugged into this box - and I run the scanning software locally on the box over a TS/RDS connection. No networked scanning.

I hope that clarifies.

Back