brightness and colour homogeneity

shadowlord

2[H]4U
After using my Nec multisync EA231 for 12 years, i though it was time for a new screen.

I though over the course of that many years brightness and colour homogeneity would have greatly improved.

Well, was i wrong........

old:
1627927011351.png

new:
1627927042709.png

is this something i have to accept in a IPS panel ?

Lack of homogeneity is usually a product of the backlighting. Full backlighting is obviously better than edge lighting which unfortunately most displays use these days because it is cheaper and also allows thinner monitors. Fullscreen backlighting are mostly reserved for high end monitors and TV's with proper HDR which needs local dimming to be any good with LCD panels.

I still have a usable CCFL monitor (8-bit TN) and the screen appears to have almost perfect backlight uniformity. It kind of makes my other LED monitors feel cheap (even though they cost 3 times as much) and by comparison they look nowhere near as consistent.
That said the downsides of CCFL outweigh some of the positives that LED brings like power consumption, heat production, flicker-free displays, high brightness, HDR. I have an old TV ( because i don't really watch it) and it features a 8bit-IPS panel with CCFL and it puts out a LOT of heat ( i can use it to heat the room in winter) and uses a lot of power, but the backlight uniformity again is again pretty perfect.

Im not even sure that current lower zone mini-LED can reach the kinds of uniformity a CCFL can ? Perhaps lots of zones helps with this, but it might be moot now as we approach the age of OLED / 'QD' OLED from samsung which in theory could make it into monitors in the not too distant future.

well, i returned the new monitor for the time being.
Maybe i'm able to find a model that better suits my expectations regarding uniformity.

Back