BH-5 / UTT OC with different kits / sizes / slots

el rolio

2[H]4U
ok wasnt sure how to get the topic right but hte concept is:

when you got this voltage loving ram, you can usually take a dual channel kit up to 240-250 mhz with super tight timings, provided you can feed the voltage and cool the sticks (and your systme can handle it etc) and if so, lovely performance. ok great.
my thought is: can you do the same thing with 4 sticks as you could with 2 sticks? is the only penalty the 2t timing? but you could still get it up to say 230mhz with 2-2-2 timings?

and if not, is it better to be running say 2gb of ram with 4 sticks instead of 1 gb with 2 sticks and possible higher OC's? has anyone done this? OC bh-5/utt ram with 4 sticks? hahah or do folks only go 4 sticks of tccd?

el rolio said:
my thought is: can you do the same thing with 4 sticks as you could with 2 sticks? is the only penalty the 2t timing? but you could still get it up to say 230mhz with 2-2-2 timings?
depends on your memory controller. i know my 146 can do 260mhz easy with 4 sticks in at 2T, haven't tried higher yet, due to the lack of ram that cna hit high mhz :p

ok cool. sounds great. so really then i will run 2t, and that will show a differnce in bandwith scores... but the fact is 2gb is a big deal now over 1 gb?

i don't remember you telling me if you played BF2 or FEAR, but.. 2gb is basically needed for those two games. with the rest of you rig, might as well make it 2gb to make it... balanced? :D

haha balanced you say? well i mean i do play those games, or i want to. ive got em installed and played a bit but havent in a while. besides the games will it show any with regualr working on th computer? raring? un raring? itunes? email? web browsing? hah

well, you've got a powerful rig, makes sense to pair it with 2gb? you probably don't need it yet, but do you really need 2x6800gt's? it's time will come, and you'll need it, shouldn't be long now :D

hell yea i need sli gt's man. i got a 2005fpw monitor to support man. non native res gaming makes baby jesus cry. and yea, im real sensitive to smoothness, framerate and all that kinda crap. heh.

i gotta get on AIM right now to come find ya anyhoo, thanks for the help!

Back