Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E x1 Sound Card $60 shipped AR

Looking for a new card. How does this compare to the titanium fatali1ty in games etc? In windows 7 64 bit also...

Looking for a new card. How does this compare to the titanium fatali1ty in games etc? In windows 7 64 bit also...

creative is overpriced junk :D

i think asus just put out new drivers within the last few days for this card for win 7 x64

edit: nm that was for vista x64. still have 2 month old betas for win7 x64 :(

Last edited:
Junk, well that makes me think now as i guess it isn't worth the mid 50 buck price for a new one then.

creative is overpriced junk
No is not....
Th Asus is a nice card but they have their own issues with drivers too...it seems to be the norm for sounds cards lately.

No is not....

i think this poll would indicate otherwise :D

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=964299

edit: granted it is an old thread... but i think it still holds true. they do have pretty good hardware but their driver implementation is pretty weak at best.

i mean remember the daniel_k fiasco? creative wouldn't provide any working vista drivers so this guy does the hard work and makes them work and posts them online so peoples $100+ cards will actually function. creative forces him to stop... i mean WTF.

edit: damn they raised it $4

Last edited:
i think this poll would indicate otherwise :D

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=964299

edit: granted it is an old thread... but i think it still holds true. they do have pretty good hardware but their driver implementation is pretty weak at best.

i mean remember the daniel_k fiasco? creative wouldn't provide any working vista drivers so this guy does the hard work and makes them work and posts them online so peoples $100+ cards will actually function. creative forces him to stop... i mean WTF.

edit: damn they raised it $4

is this a joke?

No is not....
Th Asus is a nice card but they have their own issues with drivers too...it seems to be the norm for sounds cards lately.

I'm running a Xonar DX under Windows 7 x64 with no problems... and I'm still on the older beta drivers. It sounds great and they have a alchemy like wrapper to allow EAX5, sure it doesn't do hardware acceleration, but with 8 logical cores I could care less.

Also, the DX has slightly better performance (in terms of SNR and such) than the D2.... a good price considering they were a little cheaper AR a couple months ago, but a very solid card.

P.S. The image is wrong, the DX is the PCI-E 1x variant.

Yea I just orderd the D1 variant (PCI) because I don't have any spare PCI-E slots... atleast for now, I can sell it and buy a new one if I change mobo's. But I wasn't gonna change mobo's for a sound card ;)

Ordered mine from ewiz just because I've had better luck with them and it was cheaper I believe... even with free shipping because ewiz was $72 + $8 shipping ish...

Also the DX looks like it requires a 4-pin Floppy, but the D1 / PCI does not require this (which is nice...)

But both are cheaper on ewiz, but I'm not positive if the DX on ewiz is a low-profile only (that's what the picture shows) and or if the rebate applies to that one (I do believe it applies to all retailers though except microcenter and frys)

The reason the dx2 pci-express requires a power connect is because of the non-native pci to pci-express bridge it uses. Hopefully i worded that correctly, If in fact if it was a native card it wouldn't require the extra power because it wouldn't have the bridge.

If i missed anything someone will add or correct something. I'm just wanting to remove this asus supreme fx- x-fi software card. Can't believe they would place a fake software sound card on such a high end board.......

And the register serial for the creative part is just retarded also.

Because most people can't tell the difference or don't care. But the fact that it "almost" looks like a dedicated card makes them think it's going to be better. And fancy words like X-FI and EAX are thrown around and people get excited but don't know what they mean.

Hehe, but yea, that makes sense... I didn't know it had that bridge.. I remember seeing that floppy connector on their higher-end cards too and was glad to see it wasn't on the PCI one I ordered because I don't wanna deal with running another cable/wire just for a sound-card...

This is a good card. Granted it is still a little pricey for what it is at $60 AR. I own the D2X and I love it. ASUS brand sound cards are really top notch and you won't be disappointed.

I have this card. Works great as long as you don't have a 750i / 790i... it's completely incompatible with those. I built a new computer because my sound card wouldn't work. >.<

The sound card works very well with my razer mako.

I have had the ASUS XONAR DX for several years now and I love it. There is no comparison with on-board audio at all. It absolutely destroys my on-board Realtek chipset in terms of quality and features.

If the Creative Fatality card was in the same price range and available at the time of my purchase of the ASUS I may have considered it. It looks like one of the more solid creative cards, but the fact that I'm biased against Creative was the largest pushing point with me going with ASUS.

The model number should be the PCI-E version, they have the D1 / PCI version elsewhere on their site. Most likely just re-used an image because the guy adding products didn't notice the difference in photos.

Great card and great deal. I bought mine a while back for $45 off the forums and tested it briefly. I ran into a few problems with drivers but I suppose it's better compared to Creative's drivers. Still a great card.

I sold it after testing for around $60.

I had issues with the old drivers criss crossing as well. I needed to reinstall a clean copy of windows to get the card to work.

old sound card + new sound card = oh noes. Windows gets all messed up.

I bought this card on ebay awhile back, blows any creative card I've ever owned to pieces. Better quality, better drivers, better price, what more could one ask for?

another quick heads up:

its $60 at microcenter AR

http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0316932

if you are close to one then this might be the better deal. you get it now and $4 savings should help cover tax.

im visiting my parents this weekend and they live close to one so thats where i am getting mine.

perfect timing as well. my supreme fx has been having issues so its going for RMA so this will be a good time buy a proper a dedicated card.

Two quick ways it compares... the Xonar is not $150, and it is not back-ordered. ;)

The forte has been sold for significantly less than $150. And the question is still valid, regardless, of the price, given that Auzentech and and Asus cards are generally competing for the same market

I prefer the Auzentech Forte
http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_forte.php
it has a built-in headphone amp and microphone pre-amp
and while it's x-fi, it uses its own drivers.

So: all the advantages of xfi: hardware eax/open-al
and none of the creative's driver problems.

I wish it was under $150 though... anyone ever saw any deals on it?

the realtek HD onboard audio is pretty good with its .03THD and overall good feature set. while this card posted by OP is very nice, its debatable whether or not youll hear a difference over a realtek HD solution. older motherboard audio used to suck bad, but thats not the case anymore.

i have the DX and its great in win7 64, but occasionally had some glitches in vista 64. uses the floppy power connector, no problem there as no floppy in last 5 yrs or so.
But as many have said, it is great to be free from the tyranny of creative labs, that Daniel k thing was truly a joke, they should have paid him some shekels and left those drivers out there, he was actually helping them, creative still sucks...

Back