Apple 27" LED Cinema Display

^ What about the ATI people? Anyone have success with a 5870/5850 or any of the other 5 series cards with DP?

^ What about the ATI people? Anyone have success with a 5870/5850 or any of the other 5 series cards with DP?

Easy way to put it:

Apple now has updated their Mac Pro line to ONLY use HD5770 and HD5870 cards from ATi. :D

^ True. But those also include mini-DP whereas all the non-Apple ones (like the one I have) only have regular DP.

The problem is, I found a mini-DP to DP connector that should work, but the company selling it says they don't work with 5000 series cards (no idea why).

^ True. But those also include mini-DP whereas all the non-Apple ones (like the one I have) only have regular DP.

The problem is, I found a mini-DP to DP connector that should work, but the company selling it says they don't work with 5000 series cards (no idea why).

The Eyefinity6, Eyefinity5 (PowerColor HD5770), and HD5970 cards are two birds:

Mini DP included
MiniDP-->DP adaptor included :p

Also:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=mini_displayport-_-12-200-602-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=mini_displayport-_-12-270-261-_-Product <-- the other few from here are just different lengths from the same manufacture

Actually, I should have been more specific. You actually need a female mini-DP to male DP since those Apple monitors have the chords built in.

Also, does anyone know if the i-Sight camera would work on a Windows machine?

hello , I'm a new Italian user of this forum.

I want to have clarity of ideas on the connection and others questions on 27" apple cinema display , these are my questions:::

I have a PC with windows 7 64 bit and I want to update my PC with new Ati 6800 graphic cards when available in the end of 2010.

questions::

1) If I buy apple cinema display 27" and connect it to Ati 6800 series on PC with displayport connector , cinema display 27" will work correctly at native 2500x1440 resolution ?????????

2) cinema display 27" , is edge-Led or Full-led backlight ????????

3) When 27" will be available in world and europe ????

Thanks at all users !

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You could also just order from Apple's Education store where it's still a better deal than Amazon at $899 + sales tax. Apple generally won't do in-store swaps unless you've bought it from Apple directly.

hello , I'm a new Italian user of this forum.

I want to have clarity of ideas on the connection and others questions on 27" apple cinema display , these are my questions:::

I have a PC with windows 7 64 bit and I want to update my PC with new Ati 6800 graphic cards when available in the end of 2010.

questions::

1) If I buy apple cinema display 27" and connect it to Ati 6800 series on PC with displayport connector , cinema display 27" will work correctly at native 2500x1440 resolution ?????????

2) cinema display 27" , is edge-Led or Full-led backlight ????????

3) When 27" will be available in world and europe ????

Thanks at all users !

anyone that answer to me ?????

:confused:

Called my local Apple store (Raleigh, NC) and they said they had a display model in, but none to buy yet. Can you say "cherry-picked?"

Anyone ordered and gotten theirs yet?

It would be interesting to hear some input lag numbers on this display. They seem pretty hard to come by on Apple displays.

Apple displays never have any lag because they do minimal processing. They don't have a scaler, and they don't have an OSD. They don't have any image controls other than the brightness of the backlight. They don't even have color controls in the hardware. Calibration is done through the video card on a Mac.

I'm amazed that even Apple caved in to 16:9.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple gave the exact specs to LG for this one. Apple has worked close with LG for displays all along. The first 30" 2560 screen was from Apple IIRC. I am betting it was Apple specified.

Apple orders enough panels that they can specify a new form factor. Apple likely wanted something a little bigger and higher resolution than the 24" for the new iMac. Using a stock 30" 2560x1600 was likely considered too big and expensive, and the 2560x1440 27" was born.

According to the Anandtech review, you won't get brightness control on a PC.

That pretty much kills it right there for anyone not on a Mac.

Wouldn't you still be able to change your brightness in your ATi or nVidia Control Panel on a PC?

Wouldn't you still be able to change your brightness in your ATi or nVidia Control Panel on a PC?

That would just be changing the panel blocking and messing with your contrast, not actually doing the right thing and lowering your back-light.

Ashok0 - are you still going to pull the trigger and buy this? Not being able to adjust brightness might be a dealbreaker for me.

Ashok0 - are you still going to pull the trigger and buy this? Not being able to adjust brightness might be a dealbreaker for me.

Yeah I'm still planning on getting an ACD27". But is the brightness really not changeable on a PC? If you go here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1462524&page=15

Someone posted that they were able to get brightness controls working on an Apple LED Cinema 24" on a PC by running BootCamp64.msi in Windows from their Snow Leopard DVD. I am assuming that this same trick should work on the new 27" model?

Yeah I'm still planning on getting an ACD27". But is the brightness really not changeable on a PC? If you go here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1462524&page=15

Someone posted that they were able to get brightness controls working on an Apple LED Cinema 24" on a PC by running BootCamp64.msi in Windows from their Snow Leopard DVD. I am assuming that this same trick should work on the new 27" model?

You might need an updated version to support the ACD 27".

But yes if you can get this installed it sounds like it would work. In these circumstances I would:

1: find out if a new version was needed.
2: install it and getting it working BEFORE buying the monitor.

Is there anyway to get bootcamp.msi by itself? I only have a PC and I'm interested in the 27" monitor.

Well, according to Anandtech, there is no way to get an Apple LED Cinema Display 27" working correctly on a PC because the required Windows display driver also requires Boot Camp 3.1 which is not "officially" available on PC.

However, if you run D:\Drivers\Apple\BootCamp64.msi on your Snow Leopard DVD, Boot Camp 3.0 will install on your PC.

Next, you can update from Boot Camp 3.0 to 3.1 using the official Apple update available here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL979?viewlocale=en_US

Once you have Boot Camp 3.1 installed, you can install the new Apple LED Cinema 27" driver on your PC, which is available here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1068

I now have a Boot Camp Control Panel icon in Windows 7, and clicking it brings up a "Brightness" bar. This has been confirmed to make the LED Cinema Display 24" work with full functionality so I can only assume that the same holds true for the new LED Cinema Display 27".

I'll report back once I pick one of these bad boys up from my local Apple store this weekend. If anyone has trouble locating an official Snow Leopard DVD for the needed Boot camp drivers, send me a PM and I'll try to help you out.

I now have a Boot Camp Control Panel icon in Windows 7, and clicking it brings up a "Brightness" bar. This has been confirmed to make the LED Cinema Display 24" work with full functionality so I can only assume that the same holds true for the new LED Cinema Display 27".

Good stuff.

One other caveat: What video card do you have? Apparently there is a bug between ACDs and ATI 5xxx series cards Display Port (4xxx or Nvidia works fine).

Good stuff.

One other caveat: What video card do you have? Apparently there is a bug between ACDs and ATI 5xxx series cards Display Port (4xxx or Nvidia works fine).

I have an nVidia GTX260 with an Atlona DP400 (Dual Link) DVI to Mini DisplayPort Converter. The tricky part isn't getting mDP to DVI though, but it's getting the display's controls to "handshake" with Windows correctly over USB.

I was able to get the brightness control working. I'm using a Sapphire HD 5870 with Windows 7 Home Premium. I'm using the Catalyst Control Center to adjust brightness.

'Graphics' > 'Desktops & Displays' > Configure Desktop > 'Properties' > 'Color' tab

The Startech 6 in displayport to mini displayport adapter can be purchased for < $10

After using it at the default for a day, I can say the monitor brightness would have been an issue.

I was able to get the brightness control working. I'm using a Sapphire HD 5870 with Windows 7 Home Premium. I'm using the Catalyst Control Center to adjust brightness.

'Graphics' > 'Desktops & Displays' > Configure Desktop > 'Properties' > 'Color' tab

The Startech 6 in displayport to mini displayport adapter can be purchased for < $10

After using it at the default for a day, I can say the monitor brightness would have been an issue.

Ah, so with the Radeon cards, you can just control the brightness through the CCC? I have a Radeon 5970. I believe that has a minidisplay port, so I would be set then, right? No need to buy or download anything to make the cinema display work with my Radeon?

Ah, so with the Radeon cards, you can just control the brightness through the CCC? I have a Radeon 5970. I believe that has a minidisplay port, so I would be set then, right? No need to buy or download anything to make the cinema display work with my Radeon?

No this is NOT correct. Anyone can change brightness with CCC with any display, but it isn't changing the backlight. It is messing the with panel. To turn you brightness down to half, you will lose half your contrast. You black levels will also be much higher than they need to be and you will be wasting power by running the back-light higher than it needs to be.

The only decent solution is to get bootcamp drivers working, as Ashok is doing.

No need to buy or download anything provided you have the mini displayport connection. I can only speak for my particular setup.

No need to buy or download anything provided you have the mini displayport connection. I can only speak for my particular setup.

Awesome, thanks! Not sure I can wait for Ashok0's impressions, as I'm tempted to buy this monitor right now! :D

Edit: Oops, missed Snowdog's post. Doh! I guess I'll hold off on purchase, then.

Awesome, thanks! Not sure I can wait for Ashok0's impressions, as I'm tempted to buy this monitor right now! :D

Edit: Oops, missed Snowdog's post. Doh! I guess I'll hold off on purchase, then.

PM Ashok as he suggests above and try to get Bootcamp working...

You can also try a DDC type utility like ELDIM.FR's EDID Viewer here which also helps you check whether your video card can change the monitor's brightness through DDC and usually allows you to do so via a slider if supported (should be):

http://www.eldim.fr/products/display-controller/fpdlite/fpdlite-free-tools

Haven't used it in a while, but it does allow you to change brightness via DDC which is how Apple does it.

There's also SoftMCC

BTW, don't just try and download the update from Apple's website for the BootCamp drivers. It checks to ensure you have them installed first and will tell you it has nothing to update if BootCamp drivers aren't already installed.

It seems that the ACD 27" works with the Radeon 5000 series. Here is someone who tried it and gave his impressions. I have a XFX Radeon 5670. I hope more people confirm this works so I can go out and buy one .:D The Graphics card in an iMac is ATI Radeon 5670 and above.

Works with Apple 27" LED Cinema Display and XFX -ATI 5770
Posted by Jerry on 29th Sep 2010

Just received my monitor yesterday and hooked this up to my Win 7 PC 64bit with an - ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card - Model: HD-577A-ZNF I purchased at Best-Buy. Works perfectly at full resolution.
Had read here about issues with ATI 57XX cards and though I would have to buy an expensive converter adapter but not needed with this card.

Bummer, stopped by my local Apple store and they didn't have any Apple LED Cinema Display 27" in stock. I ended up ordering one from Apple's on-line store. The delivery estimate is 10/13 - 10/15.

I still haven't heard any confirmation of whether or not brightness settings actually work on PC yet, though. Looks like Jerry was happy with his monitor though. Either he got the brightness working or he likes dim displays. Kind of a risk but I'm gonna do everything I can to try to make this work.

Bummer, stopped by my local Apple store and they didn't have any Apple LED Cinema Display 27" in stock. I ended up ordering one from Apple's on-line store. The delivery estimate is 10/13 - 10/15.

I still haven't heard any confirmation of whether or not brightness settings actually work on PC yet, though. Looks like Jerry was happy with his monitor though. Either he got the brightness working or he likes dim displays. Kind of a risk but I'm gonna do everything I can to try to make this work.

Doh, that sucks they didn't have any at the store. Thanks for the update!

From the macrumors.com forums:

<PinkZeppelin>My 27" works perfectly fine on my PC. Intergrated mic, speakers, webcam all work fine. As for adjusting brightness, I installed bootcamp 3.1 and the 27 ACD update for 64 bit and can change brightness from 0 to 100 percent. Running windows 7 64-bit with no mac partition.

:D

Back